• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coronavirus !!! Very Political Thread !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something tells me planes don't have N95 comparable filtering systems. Just a hunch. Would actually be curious to know.

Initially airlines touted their filtering systems and new steps taken in cleaning planes. Now some airlines like American are starting to pack people in again. A few airlines like Southwest are sticking to their efforts to keep people spaced.

Airports seem like a great place to catch covid as people have to wait around in terminals and mask wearing is harder to implement. I flew twice in the first weekend of May and I do not plan on doing it again anytime soon.

You aren't going to find a reliable study that answers that question. Best available evidence suggests significant lower transmission rates among kids, but we need a lot more data.

Thanks. So just send them to school and cross your fingers. Sounds about as precise as all other approaches to date.

We are fucked.

Something tells me planes don't have N95 comparable filtering systems. Just a hunch. Would actually be curious to know.

Read somewhere that airflow on planes was constantly downward, which helps as much as the filter size.

Could be a path for restaurants to re-open-just have everyone replace the floor with a metal lattice, and have a laminar downward airflow to a germ basement below. Don't trip, or drop your keys.

Read somewhere that airflow on planes was constantly downward, which helps as much as the filter size.

Could be a path for restaurants to re-open-just have everyone replace the floor with a metal lattice, and have a laminar downward airflow to a germ basement below. Don't trip, or drop your keys.

Interesting idea in theory. But who is going to pay for new floors and air flow systems, the restaurants who are losing money or the landlords who are losing money?

After record setting positive test, hospitalizations and increased deaths, the governor of SC has decided to take the drastic step of making bars and restaurants stop selling alcohol at 11pm. That will show those wild kids. No way the virus will keep spreading now!

Here in the Chicago suburbs, Colonel Angus' consternation notwithstanding, we are doing a pretty good job. my son's travel baseball league has started back up and we are having games. Parents are spread out along the 1st and 3rd base lines, team doesn't huddle up or use the dugout all at the same time, lots of sanitizer for the boys, parents have to wear masks in the bathroom and concession areas, etc. no one complains about the masks or rules, just happy the boys can play.

My sons 12u team has played one tournament so far after a long hiatus this spring. I have a 12 and 15 year old that both play and so far it seems there are different rules depending on which organization/venue you go to. This is in the Triad area of NC. Parents are unable to sit on the bleachers and have to use their own chairs and only about half the kids can use the dugout at a time.

Our 12u team was supposed to be in Cooperstown this week but obviously got cancelled. I'm still happy they are playing baseball.

Thanks. So just send them to school and cross your fingers. Sounds about as precise as all other approaches to date.

We are fucked.

Seems like, If there was any semblance of a national strategy for dealing with this disease, in addition to developing a plan for ramping up PPE production and a testing and tracing strategy, a research prioritization plan would have also been laid out. What will it take to get our country up and running? What unknowns and uncertainties impede our decision making? And then dedicate some resources into reducing those unknowns and uncertainties. A key unknown in deciding whether to open school is knowing whether kids are spreaders of the disease so if we want to reopen schools we should make some effort to address that question. But nope, we’ve got no plan or strategy here, other than pretend it never happened and everything is fine.

Anyway, at a summer camp in Missouri 82 kids and campers have tested positive for COVID, so there is some probability that it will get into the schools and people will get sick.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...taffers-infected-with-coronavirus-reports.amp

I feel sick and angry after watching that video. Our government is knowingly sending sick people to countries where they don't have the resources or infrastructure to deal with this crisis. How many deaths is our administration directly or indirectly responsible for?

Our hospital census has doubled since the nadir in mid june :(

Saw a piece on the news about planes. Apparently most or all are in pretty good shape in terms of filtering the air. As said above push down, filter with very good filtering system. At least this airline (don't recall which one) had upgraded their filters. However, packing people in the sardine tin means plenty of potential floating around your head prior to filtering.

Not interested in flying anytime soon myself.

After record setting positive test, hospitalizations and increased deaths, the governor of SC has decided to take the drastic step of making bars and restaurants stop selling alcohol at 11pm. That will show those wild kids. No way the virus will keep spreading now!

Bold move.

As expected death rates are now rising in California, Texas, Arizona and Florida. I think it’s about to get much worse.

We are fucked.

also this:

Coronavirus cases from North Georgia youth camp outbreak rising

The number of children and counselors who have tested positive for the coronavirus disease after attending a YMCA overnight camp at Lake Burton has jumped to about 85, up from at least 30 earlier this month, the Georgia Department of Public Health has confirmed.

For those who have suggested research suggests kids do not spread the virus, I'll leave this here for you. Very hard for me to envision schools reopening without the virus getting a hold in many of them over time.

My daughter graduated HS this year. She has just recovered from a case of Covid. She went to a gathering of friends in her graduating class in mid-June. The gathering was outdoors. Maybe 15 or so kids. The host of the party had played youth sports and a few of her teammates who'd just graduated from another high school showed up. One of the girls from that other HS was positive and did not know it. 4-6 kids at that gathering including my daughter got the virus. Two days later some of the kids at that first gathering (thankfully not including my daughter) went to another outdoor party of kids from the graduating class. 10-12 more kids in the graduating class were infected at that second gathering.

And just yesterday one of my son's friends tested positive after being exposed via another teenager while they were on vacation in North Carolina last week.

No one else in our family became infected. But living with the virus in your home creates all sorts of added hassles - like everyone living in their own room while you wait to assure no one else has it, wearing masks around each other, keeping my daughter confined to her room, etc.

Also, regarding testing. At least 4 of the 16 kids in my daughter's class who became sick initially tested negative. It was only when they got another symptom or got a bit worse and went back for another test a couple of days later that they tested positive. And every doctor we spoke to said they did not recommend any of us get tested unless we became symptomatic because there are so many false negatives on tests. They did request we get a test after our daughter was cleared. Thankfully none of us became sick and all of us have tested negative. My daughter lossed her sense of smell. It has not returned and we're told it could take weeks to return (with some small chance it never will).

Finally, every single one of the 17 total teenagers we know of who have tested positive had very mild cases. Some showed no symptoms. Most had very mild symptoms that lasted for a handful of days. That was the case for our daughter. Headache, body aches, slight fever and a spot of pink eye. Within 2 days she had no fever and then the body aches came and went for a few more days. That was pretty much it save the loss of the sense of smell that came at the very end.

Yep, the data’s pretty thin. But I think it’s very likely that kids are quite able to contract and spread this virus. No good reason to doubt this at this point.

They just appear to be less likely than older folks to get seriously ill or die from it. And they may have overall lower transmissibility. But they aren’t impervious to related serious morbidly or mortality, or unable to transmit the virus.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back