• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coronavirus !!! Very Political Thread !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it’s pretty much guaranteed that Trump and Republicans will hype up some type of cure within a month of Election Day. The question is if people will buy it at all.

It isn't like any "cure" or "vaccine" isn't going to get scrubbed by the press. IOW, it isn;t going to matter. It either will be real or it won't. BTW, Pfizer has a vaccine out there that is showing some real promise. Still months away from any sort of mass production, but the limited testing does look promising. I tthink there is one out of the UK that looks promising as well Still think at a minimum we are a year plus away bc even if something is found that works getting it mass produced and distributed will take a long time.

It isn't like any "cure" or "vaccine" isn't going to get scrubbed by the press. IOW, it isn;t going to matter. It either will be real or it won't. BTW, Pfizer has a vaccine out there that is showing some real promise. Still months away from any sort of mass production, but the limited testing does look promising. I tthink there is one out of the UK that looks promising as well Still think at a minimum we are a year plus away bc even if something is found that works getting it mass produced and distributed will take a long time.

Sadly, I've found that there are plenty of people that are oblivious to "the press". Facebook memes and/or conspiracy theories are their version of "news." And real vs not real isn't the same for them as it is for people with at least a lick of common sense. But those people are going to vote for Trump no matter what. Vaccine or no vaccine. 150K deaths or 2 millions deaths. Let's just hope there are a lot more people that do have common sense.

Here in the Chicago suburbs, Colonel Angus' consternation notwithstanding, we are doing a pretty good job. my son's travel baseball league has started back up and we are having games. Parents are spread out along the 1st and 3rd base lines, team doesn't huddle up or use the dugout all at the same time, lots of sanitizer for the boys, parents have to wear masks in the bathroom and concession areas, etc. no one complains about the masks or rules, just happy the boys can play.

Starting next Friday, my youngest kid is playing in a baseball tournament in East Cobb, GA. 241 teams from all over the US. Keep thinking that it will be cancelled because of GA's problems with the RONA. Guess not. Will be masking up.

Here in the Chicago suburbs, Colonel Angus' consternation notwithstanding, we are doing a pretty good job. my son's travel baseball league has started back up and we are having games. Parents are spread out along the 1st and 3rd base lines, team doesn't huddle up or use the dugout all at the same time, lots of sanitizer for the boys, parents have to wear masks in the bathroom and concession areas, etc. no one complains about the masks or rules, just happy the boys can play.

Kids are playing hockey up here in the tundra again as well and practicing soccer too. There are more rules about staying distanced during practices, etc. Weightlifting and dryland training are all taking place outdoors as well. These are no parent events, naturally. No games of note.

Starting next Friday, my youngest kid is playing in a baseball tournament in East Cobb, GA. 241 teams from all over the US. Keep thinking that it will be cancelled because of GA's problems with the RONA. Guess not. Will be masking up.

whoa

well, while you're there, try the blueberry fritters at Ray's Donuts

or better yet, get some take-out corned beef hash from Windy City Grill on Canton Road

Last edited:
Sorry not fully up to speed. Can someone point me to a reliable study that discusses how easily kids under 12 spread this virus to adults? Seems like that is the screaming question to be answered when discussing middle and elementary school reopening, but I did a quick search on the Google and didn’t find anything I considered up to date. High schoolers obviously get it and I know school systems don’t stop with middle schoolers. I am really trying to figure out if it is 100% I will have this shit by the end of September when my gremlins go back to school next month, or whether it is just really fucking likely I will have it by then.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry not fully up to speed. Can someone point me to a reliable study that discusses how easily kids under 12 spread this virus to adults? Seems like that is the screaming question to be answered when discussing middle and elementary school reopening, but I did a quick search on the Google and didn’t find anything I considered up to date. High schoolers obviously get it and I know school systems don’t stop with middle schoolers. I am really trying to figure out if it is 100% I will have this shit by the end of September when my gremlins go back to school next month, or whether it is just really fucking likely I will have it by then.

Thanks in advance.

I don’t have an answer to your question, but this reminded me of something funny my daughter recently said out of the blue. Somehow the subject of the virus came up and she noted that she has “a 50-50 chance of getting it.” I was quite confused and wondered where she had pulled this stat; did a sibling mention this? Did she randomly hear it on the news? So I asked her to explain further, and she stated matter-of-factly, “Either I’ll get it, or I won’t.”

She’s seven. Unassailable logic, actually.

Hmm. I was wondering who the morons are filling planes these days.

Looks like the deaths are rising again.
10_NEWSLETTER-DEATHSRISE-jumbo.png

Hope it doesn't continue on this trajectory.

This sounds like an incredibly bad idea.

Thanks in advance.

You aren't going to find a reliable study that answers that question. Best available evidence suggests significant lower transmission rates among kids, but we need a lot more data.

You aren't going to find a reliable study that answers that question. Best available evidence suggests significant lower transmission rates among kids, but we need a lot more data.

Schools are going to dramatically change the game as well.

Have there been any updated thinking on the safety, or lack thereof, of flying? I have not heard of large outbreaks linked to a plane flight like I have for parties, bars, and some other settings. How would it compare to protests? Masked people close together. The difference between being outside and in an enclosed tube seems big, but are the filtering technologies of planes able to offset that in a meaningful way?

I have not been on a plane since December, but I have an in-law who is a commercial pilot.

Have there been any updated thinking on the safety, or lack thereof, of flying? I have not heard of large outbreaks linked to a plane flight like I have for parties, bars, and some other settings. How would it compare to protests? Masked people close together. The difference between being outside and in an enclosed tube seems big, but are the filtering technologies of planes able to offset that in a meaningful way?

I have not been on a plane since December, but I have an in-law who is a commercial pilot.

Something tells me planes don't have N95 comparable filtering systems. Just a hunch. Would actually be curious to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back