• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coronavirus !!! Very Political Thread !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
They live in their own insulated reality that they have created. Truth does not live there. There will be no accountability nor acknowledgement. Sadly, there are so many of them that they can continue to insulate and protect themselves. A true Deep State, ladies and gentlemen.

One hard thing about this is watching how Italy has managed to plateau new cases day over day but has not been able to move them down once they've hit that plateau. Same thing today. Here are their last 7 days on new cases. 5217, 4050, 4053, 4782, 4668, 4585, 4805.

Same sort of phenomena in Spain only they are in 6500 to 7500 band per day.

Germany similar - they had a couple of days in the 4500 type range, but consistently 6500 to 7000 new cases a day.

New York - second straight day with 10,000 plus new cases. Supposedly the virus is now hitting Long Island pretty hard and it's share of daily cases has grown from 15% a handful of days ago to around 21-22% a day now.

Discouraging. Also, hard to watch as the rest of the world outside of Western Europe and North America is also starting to accelerate. We are already at 71,000 new cases globally today. Hard to imagine the world doesn't go over 85,000 new cases today.

On perhaps that same note:
[h=2]Republican fundraiser looks to cash in on coronavirus[/h] A longtime campaign operative informed clients that he was leaving politics behind for a new line of work: selling critical medical supplies.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/27/republican-fundraiser-company-coronavirus-152184

“Over the last 14 days I have built another business outside politics and will be focusing my full attention there,” he wrote in the email, which was obtained by POLITICO.

The fundraiser, Mike Gula, didn’t specify his new line of work in the email. But in an interview, he said he’d started a new company selling medical equipment that’s been in short supply during the coronavirus pandemic.
The company, Blue Flame Medical LLC, was formed Monday in Delaware, according to state records. Its website says it sells coronavirus testing kits, N95 respirator masks, “a wide selection” of personal protective equipment and other “hard to find medical supplies to beat the outbreak.”
Asked how he’d managed to procure such equipment when there are shortages in hospitals across the country, Gula said, “I have relationships with a lot of people.”

Thomas declined to specify how he and Gula had managed to obtain masks that have become so rare that some hospitals have resorted to reusing them or having health care workers tie bandannas or scarfs around their faces. “It’s just relationship-based,” he said. “I can’t say anything else.”

“I don’t want to overstate, but we probably represent the largest global supply chain for Covid-19 supplies right now,” he said. “We are getting ready to fill 100 million-unit mask orders.”

So this guy just took 14 days to start a business that is now ready to fulfill orders for 100 million masks right before Trump recommended everyone wear them.

I would like to think Trump's refusal to federalize the supply chain and use the Defense Production Act to order companies to make theses materials was due to simple incompetence. But it's looking more and more like a sadistic grift to profit off the suffering and death of tens of thousands.

I would like to think Trump's refusal to federalize the supply chain and use the Defense Production Act to order companies to make theses materials was due to simple incompetence. But it's looking more and more like a sadistic grift to profit off the suffering and death of tens of thousands.

Yep. Becoming clearer than ever. No doubt there's some quid pro quo in there as well.

Don't disagree with this sentiment in general, but it seems like China is the one profiting here.

Don't disagree with this sentiment in general, but it seems like China is the one profiting here.

doubt it. Their exports have dropped significantly and their factories were shut down for a long time. Going to take some time for them to ramp back up.

Was just chatting with a buddy of mine who thinks China let this get out to make sure they wouldn't be the only ones to suffer as to not damage their standing in the global economy.

doubt it. Their exports have dropped significantly and their factories were shut down for a long time. Going to take some time for them to ramp back up.

I was specifically referring to the bidding war that ensued due to lack of federal management of face mask distribution, not the virus in general.

The bidding war is also what I was referring to because it seems insane for them to be this incompetent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back