• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coronavirus !!! Very Political Thread !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trump could shut down all the airports but how would that stop the migrant caravans from bringing the virus across our borders?

definitely starting to get more nervous since I have a 2-month old at home.

I don’t know this for sure, but I would imagine your risk of the normal flu is much higher. I remember that anxiety too.

One of the main goals in global public health is capacity building in other countries. Even as an economic rival the US CDC has a team embedded within CDC China for cooperation (this team was completely frozen out of this outbreak response) while you can point to China and say what could be done and the answer is not much, what would be nice is having the people in place to already respond, and this includes in other countries. You know when you don’t need to use John Hopkins outbreak mapping, when you have pandemic response resident advisors in countries already feeding you real time information. In a global pandemic where everything is connected you do yourself well to help reduce total global disease burden because it helps reduce your in country disease burden, it’s like trickled down effect that actually works. So there is how gutting everything directly impacts this response.

Pish

Trump’s got this.

We’re building a wall doncha know.

Seriously...if Trump wins a second term and he/Republicans continue their relentless assault on truth and reality, the US may become no more trustworthy than is China wrt accurately tracking, reporting, and cooperatively working with the international community on things like this.

Trump has been cutting regulatory and public safety programs across the board. Last month they raised the allowable levels of arsenic in drinking water to help the coal industry (or something like that) and they have made major cut backs to food inspection over the last three years....just because. The CDC pandemic response team is just one more thing that they thought we didn’t need, so they cut it.

Highly hazardous Republican mythology: almost all problems are best addressed by lower taxes and less regulation/government.

Highly hazardous Republican mythology: almost all problems are best addressed by lower taxes and less regulation/government.

"So you have the coronavirus? Our proposed cure is to cut taxes on the wealthy and corporations, further privatize your healthcare, and cut the budgets of the government agencies that deal with this type of situation to pay for our tax cuts. Don't you feel better now - you're welcome!"

Basically the press conference will be all is well, I’ll be appointing a special task force, not because he believes it’s necessary but because he wants to control the messaging and to do that he needs a lackey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back