• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coronavirus !!! Very Political Thread !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you get an administration and political party that no longer believes in mainstream science and is full of Luddites who hate "experts and elites" and believe in "alternative facts" and quack conspiracy theories, this is what happens. All Trump cares about is his reelection and keeping the adoration of his cult base, nothing else (like protecting the country from this virus) matters. One thing we've been incredibly lucky with as a nation for the past three-plus years is that we haven't faced a truly dangerous crisis since Trump took office. If we ever do face a serious national emergency with Trump and his crew still in charge, god help us.

In May 2018, Trump ordered the NSC’s entire global health security unit shut down, calling for reassignment of Rear Adm. Timothy Ziemer and dissolution of his team inside the agency. The month before, then-White House National Security Advisor John Bolton pressured Ziemer’s DHS counterpart, Tom Bossert, to resign along with his team. Neither the NSC nor DHS epidemic teams have been replaced. The global health section of the CDC was so drastically cut in 2018 that much of its staff was laid off and the number of countries it was working in was reduced from 49 to merely 10. Meanwhile, throughout 2018, the U.S. Agency for International Development and its director, Mark Green, came repeatedly under fire from both the White House and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. And though Congress has so far managed to block Trump administration plans to cut the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps by 40 percent, the disease-fighting cadres have steadily eroded as retiring officers go unreplaced.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/01/3...ited-states-public-health-emergency-response/

Trump at presser later today: "We have the best response team ever assembled! Greatest ever! Democrats are just trying to tear me down. I'm the greatest President of all time!

Sailor: “the president is entitled to do what he wants. Unless it’s a Dem.”

I never said that.

Are your views so weak that you have to lie about the views of others in order to maintain your silly ideas? Unfortunately, as is evidenced above, the answer is yes. Sad.

We should probably go ahead and start a GoFundMe for the US response to coronavirus.

definitely starting to get more nervous since I have a 2-month old at home.

I never said that.

Are your views so weak that you have to lie about the views of others in order to maintain your silly ideas? Unfortunately, as is evidenced above, the answer is yes. Sad.

Then give an opinion on BBD’s article. Do you think it’s right or wrong what trump has done with gutting the DHS epidemic teams and NSC global health team.

On the thread about William McRaven denouncing Macguire’s dismissal, you said a president can do what he wants with advisors. It’s a logical leap to say that you would think he can do what he wants here. No one is arguing against that. It’s just a lame defense. So asked again, do you agree with those moves in light of the Coronavirus spreading?

definitely starting to get more nervous since I have a 2-month old at home.

Yea, I haven’t researched much (I should), what’s the implication for babies and toddlers with this shit? All I’ve read is that it’s more dangerous for old people.

I never said that.

you have yet to state your opinion on the matter

phew, Trump holding 6 pm news conference to address this. crisis averted.

The problem with America first is that its not how the real world exists as will be demonstrated in a pandemic. Our Government always seems to be reactionary instead of having long term plans. It was refreshing that with the last administration they listened to public health experts that it’s easier to stop things before they get out of control and before they arrive on our shores. Billions of dollars was provide for global health, monitoring, pandemic preparedness, vaccine stockpiles, and doing work in countries to help them prepare as well, etc... New administration fuck all that.

Yea, I haven’t researched much (I should), what’s the implication for babies and toddlers with this shit? All I’ve read is that it’s more dangerous for old people.

I’ve heard it’s just like a common cold.

The problem with America first is that its not how the real world exists as will be demonstrated in a pandemic. Our Government always seems to be reactionary instead of having long term plans. It was refreshing that with the last administration they listened to public health experts that it’s easier to stop things before they get out of control and before they arrive on our shores. Billions of dollars was provide for global health, monitoring, pandemic preparedness, vaccine stockpiles, and doing work in countries to help them prepare as well, etc... New administration fuck all that.

trump is an idiot and gutting the pandemic response team was really stupid and shortsighted

however, unless I am completely misunderstanding the current situation, China was (is?) deceptive regarding the severity of the outbreak, and I don't think there is much the US could have done to have the globe in a better place right now - the outbreak was going to spread throughout China and cross the border, and we can't have vaccines at the ready for a virus we don't know anything about

in other words, even with best efforts from the US, this virus was going to get out of control within China and elsewhere, and it was/is going to arrive on our shores

now, do I feel any remote shred of confidence that Trump will orchestrate anything approaching an effective response? of course not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back