• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football Spring practice updates

Burley is one of the names I have heard mentioned as really coming on. Also while Groulx is a little nicked up, they are very pleased with how he is coming along from last year and yes I realize it was only one official practice. However don't think these kids haven't been practicing before the official start of spring practices but just without the coaches watching or coaching them. Still reports get back to the coaches from the players about who is doing what in these unofficial player practices.

To clarify:

- Justin Williams is a DT, not a DE. I only tweeted he's getting 1-reps.
- That has to do with Tyler Williams seemingly being limited. Kamara and J. Williams have been "first-team DTs," but it's been two practices with helmets only. Cohen has loads of time to figure out his rotation in the spring, and then in the summer he gets Bothroyd and Miles Fox to work into the mix.
- Also while I'm on DTs: James Ash certainly looks the part. I have no idea if he'll play because it's obviously a deep position -- but he's a strong-looking 6-3, 285.
- "Boogie behind Boogie" is probably Clawson's least-favorite quote that's been said on the practice field in 3 years, but it still cracks me up.
- Clawson told us Masterson can play 4 positions: both safeties, BUCK LB and rover. He'll play wherever he's needed, so without Nasir and while they still try to get Coby Davis back to pre-ACL form, Masterson is probably a safety.
- Rucker struggled more with angles than actually tackling. I think that's easier to improve on, and I think he'll be really good.

- To Pilchard's point: Again, can't stress enough how futile recruiting rankings are for Wake football. Greg Dortch was a 2-star. Justin Strnad and Jessie Bates III were the 16th- and 17th-ranked players of 2015 class; 1-4 were Kyle Kearns, Dionte Austin, Bowman Archibald and Rocky Reid.

Also Dion Bergan right?

I'll mea culpa to resurrecting the quote. It just has such a nice sound to it. If Clawson doesn't like it, I can retire it.

However, the sentiment is still relevant. Wake needs to find good rotational guys behind the starters on the D-line. Rotate guys to have the starters fresh for critical parts of the game.

Yes on Bergan, he's been practicing.

It's probably fine with Clawson at this point; just remember him kind of bristling with us a day or two after Sawvel said it because at that time, Boogie didn't have a collegiate sack. Boogie looked great in spring '18 and into fall camp for that season, but they weren't in a position to say he'd arrived is I think where Clawson was coming from.

I really think their D-line is the least of their concerns probably of any position group on the team. They love Royce Francis' motor and he's serviceable behind Boogie. I've written plenty about Ja'Corey Johns' quiet development throughout last season. Shamar McCollum has looked good, albeit in two practices without pads. Clawson spoke highly of everybody on signing day, but he was really fired up while talking about the two edge rushers, Jasheen Davis and Kendron Wayman. Maybe the light bulb goes on for Mike Allen, but being out this spring really hurts him. Kamara, T. Williams, Fox, Bothroyd are knowns on interior, with T. Williams and Bothroyd also able to play field end. Will Smart can't seem to catch a break, he's not practicing yet. Don't know much about Isaiah Chaney yet. Hell, even walk-on Adam Winter was playable in emergency situations last year.

Cohen has a good problem on his hands trying to find the right rotation. He's got plenty of guys to do it with.

Based on Hudl tape, two time All-State honors in Va. and Clawson’s comments at the end of last season, Morin seems to be a talented slot.

Conor, when talking about the DT, you have left Bergan out twice, it this just an oversight or do you not think he will be a factor? Not trying to bust your chops but it seemed conspicuous to me.

Conor, when talking about the DT, you have left Bergan out twice, it this just an oversight or do you not think he will be a factor? Not trying to bust your chops but it seemed conspicuous to me.

Just oversight, he's certainly in the mix.

OK Conor, what exercises are you doing to get into football reporting shape?

To clarify:

- Justin Williams is a DT, not a DE. I only tweeted he's getting 1-reps.
- That has to do with Tyler Williams seemingly being limited. Kamara and J. Williams have been "first-team DTs," but it's been two practices with helmets only. Cohen has loads of time to figure out his rotation in the spring, and then in the summer he gets Bothroyd and Miles Fox to work into the mix.
- Also while I'm on DTs: James Ash certainly looks the part. I have no idea if he'll play because it's obviously a deep position -- but he's a strong-looking 6-3, 285.
- "Boogie behind Boogie" is probably Clawson's least-favorite quote that's been said on the practice field in 3 years, but it still cracks me up.
- Clawson told us Masterson can play 4 positions: both safeties, BUCK LB and rover. He'll play wherever he's needed, so without Nasir and while they still try to get Coby Davis back to pre-ACL form, Masterson is probably a safety.
- Rucker struggled more with angles than actually tackling. I think that's easier to improve on, and I think he'll be really good.

- To Pilchard's point: Again, can't stress enough how futile recruiting rankings are for Wake football. Greg Dortch was a 2-star. Justin Strnad and Jessie Bates III were the 16th- and 17th-ranked players of 2015 class; 1-4 were Kyle Kearns, Dionte Austin, Bowman Archibald and Rocky Reid.

THanks Conor. Good stuff. We really missed Masterson when he went out, but Clawson thinks he can play both safety positions? I recall him struggling when he was forced to play some FS a year ago due, it appeared, to speed.

J.Burley appears ready to make an impact according to the DC. Like the way our DL and LBs are shaping up. The CB besides J.Taylor is still a mystery man at this point.

THanks Conor. Good stuff. We really missed Masterson when he went out, but Clawson thinks he can play both safety positions? I recall him struggling when he was forced to play some FS a year ago due, it appeared, to speed.

2 years ago, he got abused at safety. Way too slow to cover deep passes. However, he was very good when moved to the hybrid LB spot and at LB. He’s really tough and can hit.

2 years ago, he got abused at safety. Way too slow to cover deep passes. However, he was very good when moved to the hybrid LB spot and at LB. He’s really tough and can hit.

He may be alright at safety. Many of the best safeties are not the fastest. It’s about angles and reading coverages. Look at white Boi tanner muse at Clemson.

He may be alright at safety. Many of the best safeties are not the fastest. It’s about angles and reading coverages. Look at white Boi tanner muse at Clemson.

Masterson wasn’t good at angles and reading coverage. He is white like Muse. Otherwise it’s not a good comparison.

I just hope Nassir Greer comes back fully healed and hasn't lost a step due to his knee injury. His closing speed saved several TD's last year and far too often made up for others' mistakes.

yeah you're right, he's white so he must be slower than the black safeties. And since he's white he's smarter than the black safeties so he can read coverage and take better angles.

yeah you're right, he's white so he must be slower than the black safeties. And since he's white he's smarter than the black safeties so he can read coverage and take better angles.

That’s racist dude.

Ed reed ran a 4.6
Brian Dawkins ran a 4.63
Cam Chancellor ran a 4.7

Would be Masterson is in that range and people are doubting Masterson because he is slow

Masterson wasn’t good at angles and reading coverage. He is white like Muse. Otherwise it’s not a good comparison.

How? They’re both the same size and would play a similar role in our defense. Other than the joke about same race comparisons that this board falls guilty of, we haven’t seen Masterson back there in two years. Players can learn to take better angles over time.

Back