• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football Spring practice updates

Is Griffis on campus early, or will he get on campus in August?

Spencer Clapp was hurt in Spring practice in the last day or two. Done for Spring and Clawson seems to think he's done for all of next year. I had him penciled in as a starting tackle, so that is a big big loss.

Almost guarantees Toms move to tackle. Nash, Rappleyear and even redshirt frosh Gordon are going to have to step up ...

Ok, so that is not good. Not good at all.

Didn't realize it was official that Dicks was moving back to corner and, presumably, Davis is staying at safety.

Didn't realize it was official that Dicks was moving back to corner and, presumably, Davis is staying at safety.

I have a ton of editing-room floor stuff from the past two weeks that, if I have time, will be a notebook. Specifically on the corners -- that story could've been twice as long. Dicks came in as a corner, moved to rover and has now moved back to corner.

Thanks, Mebane and Jaybone.

The Spencer news fucking sucks, to be frank. Kid can't catch a break. It happened last week, I think after the second practice -- they didn't even have pads on, just helmets. He was never injured in high school, played OL and DL (I actually always thought he was a better DL in high school, but think it was explained to me why his skillset translated better at OL) and played baseball, and was never seriously injured.

I have a ton of editing-room floor stuff from the past two weeks that, if I have time, will be a notebook. Specifically on the corners -- that story could've been twice as long. Dicks came in as a corner, moved to rover and has now moved back to corner.

Thanks, Mebane and Jaybone.

The Spencer news fucking sucks, to be frank. Kid can't catch a break. It happened last week, I think after the second practice -- they didn't even have pads on, just helmets. He was never injured in high school, played OL and DL (I actually always thought he was a better DL in high school, but think it was explained to me why his skillset translated better at OL) and played baseball, and was never seriously injured.

Is it confirmed as an ACL? It was a knee, right?

And yes, I was surprised there was not 40 posts on this. We are thin and inexperienced at tackle with or without Spencer. Having a guy step in who has been in the system and at that position for three years would have eased the transition. Now, we are going to be starting two new tackles and neither were on the two deep at that position last year (unless Nash starts).

Is it confirmed as an ACL? It was a knee, right?

And yes, I was surprised there was not 40 posts on this. We are thin and inexperienced at tackle with or without Spencer. Having a guy step in who has been in the system and at that position for three years would have eased the transition. Now, we are going to be starting two new tackles and neither were on the two deep at that position last year (unless Nash starts).

Almost positive it's an ACL. He talked to me privately before yesterday's practice and said he's out for a year.

Je'Vionte' Nash has been in the system for 4 years and I'd guess it'll be him, DeVonte Gordon or Allan Rappleyea, another who's been in the system for a while.

Almost positive it's an ACL. He talked to me privately before yesterday's practice and said he's out for a year.

Je'Vionte' Nash has been in the system for 4 years and I'd guess it'll be him, DeVonte Gordon or Allan Rappleyea, another who's been in the system for a while.

interesting if Clapp's injury was inside on the turf. Always seem to be more non contact acl's on turf vs. grass. Maybe a reason to practice more on grass?

interesting if Clapp's injury was inside on the turf. Always seem to be more non contact acl's on turf vs. grass. Maybe a reason to practice more on grass?

Was inside. IIRC, was also low-40s and raining last Thursday morning.

Also: They have the 100-yard field in the indoor and a 100-yard field outside, with 50 yards of a grass field between them. It'll become 100 of grass once they clear what's left of the construction area from Sutton/Shah buildings. (honestly not sure why that hasn't been reopened yet -- that might be the real question here).

Spencer Clapp was hurt in Spring practice in the last day or two. Done for Spring and Clawson seems to think he's done for all of next year. I had him penciled in as a starting tackle, so that is a big big loss.

Almost guarantees Toms move to tackle. Nash, Rappleyear and even redshirt frosh Gordon are going to have to step up ...

Not good.

Really hoping today's announcement won't be canceling the Spring Game due to coronavirus concerns, but that could be what is happening.

Really hoping today's announcement won't be canceling the Spring Game due to coronavirus concerns, but that could be what is happening.

It’ll be interesting to see how long this Coronavirus effects how things are operated. To me, football, for the most part, is much more separated from fans and people. It’s an open field, 120 yards of space and open air. Seems like the chances ANYTHING could be spread would be very slim. The only concern would be the fans spreading it to each other. I personally think it’s less about the players than we think. It’s about stopping this thing from spreading from fan to fan for the most part. Of course, you don’t want the players to have it, because it will spread. You DEFINITELY don’t want your highly paid coaches to get it.

Almost undoubtedly, they will cancel the spring game and hold it at BB&T with no fans, or at McCreary Field House. Right now, Wake has stopped students from coming into Wake. It’ll be interesting to see how the NCAA, and individual colleges handle athletics. Actually, it’ll be interesting how this ENTIRE THING goes. Really hope there is a vaccine that can be developed quickly so this thing can go away. Scary, because we as humans have no clue what’s going to happen. We have no control over it at all.

Already tired of thinking about the lives that are in danger, and the quality of life for people that aren’t at risk over these next couple of months.

Last edited:
It’ll be interesting to see how long this Coronavirus effects how things are operated. To me, football, for the most part, is much more separated from fans and people. It’s an open field, 120 yards of space and open air. Seems like the chances ANYTHING could be spread would be very slim. The only concern would be the fans spreading it to each other. I personally think it’s less about the players than we think. It’s about stopping this thing from spreading from fan to fan for the most part. Of course, you don’t want the players to have it, because it will spread. You DEFINITELY don’t want your highly paid coaches to get it.

Almost undoubtedly, they will cancel the spring game and hold it at BB&T with no fans, or at McCreary Field House. Right now, Wake has stopped students from coming into Wake. It’ll be interesting to see how the NCAA, and individual colleges handle athletics. Actually, it’ll be interesting how this ENTIRE THING goes. Really hope there is a vaccine that can be developed quickly so this thing can go away. Scary, because we as humans have no clue what’s going to happen. We have no control over it at all.

Already tired of thinking about the lives that are in danger, and the quality of life for people that aren’t at risk over these next couple of months.

sorry about the double post.

But will Manning be fired and if not why not?

Surely if they prevent fans from coming to the spring game they'll play it live on YouTube or something, right?

Pretty sure they will cancel the rest of Spring practice. It's a brave new world for the next year/year and a half until they come up with a vaccine.

Back