• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Neath - is he legit?

All this after 2 games ?

Any points over/under on him vs ND ? How about 12....fair enough ?

How do D1 caliber guards not learn how to shoot in HS? It’s amazing to me how many athletic guards there are in college b-ball now who can’t shoot. What the hell did they work on in HS?

Shooting is a skill and some people are going to be better at it than others. Lots of players can get a shot off against high school defenses that they can’t get against college defenses.

Loved CMM but his three point shot never had a 10-22 stretch if I recall correctly. I remember him sending them up but rarely going through the net. But boy he could get up and dunk better than most of our guards Robert Siler as the exception that comes to mind.

CMM had the same issue as LD when it came to shooting the basketball.
#tooJacked

given competent coaching, Neath could be a pretty good ACC player

I actually feel similarly, although tempered a bit, about Oguama, despite his recruiting ranking; Ody could be a decent rotation guy down the line

I actually feel similarly, although tempered a bit, about Oguama, despite his recruiting ranking; Ody could be a decent rotation guy down the line

Sorry....I liken him as our DeLaurier

I think Ody could be a solid #8-10 on a good team. Second units need an energy guy and he can do that.

Neath has always been able to blow by the guy covering him. As he recognizes this is more difficult in the ACC, his game looks like it will expand. I like his toughness. I think he'll be a good leader. With a good coach, I think he'll be a tough guy defender.

With Neath, Chaundee, Sarr and Mucius, a good coach could develop a really solid defensive team. Massoud is long and quick. That same coach could scheme his ability to be a good help defender.

All this after 2 games ?

Any points over/under on him vs ND ? How about 12....fair enough ?

No one is putting his jersey in the rafters here. He's played pretty well in the last 2-3 games and has some obvious athletic ability.

No one is putting his jersey in the rafters here. He's played pretty well in the last 2-3 games and has some obvious athletic ability.

I'm recalling when I got mildly optimistic when Joe Dukes had a bunch of assists in a December OOC game. Jacobi is better than Joe but it is premature to say anything other than he will be the starting PG at the start of next season.

I'm recalling when I got mildly optimistic when Joe Dukes had a bunch of assists in a December OOC game. Jacobi is better than Joe but it is premature to say anything other than he will be the starting PG at the start of next season.

Sure, but there's a difference between producing in a December OOC game and contributing to a Duke win in February. It was more similar to Trent Strickland in the 2003 2OT win vs. Duke albeit in regulation instead of in OT.

Last edited:

Neath played for the Canadian U18 and U19 teams. That's a bit more than Joe Dukes. Neath a full-sized PG and can play off the ball as well.

Neath has good size, quickness and strength and is more aggressive than just about any guards we have had in the past 10 years (notable exceptions are Childress and CMM). His free throw shooting form also looks much better than his percentage so far. He could pile up a lot of points at the line as he should be able to get there a lot. Reason to be encouraged with him as a player with a new coach.

Sure, but there's a difference between producing in a December OOC game and contributing to a Duke win in February. It was more similar to Trent Strickland in the 2003 2OT win vs. Duke albeit in regulation instead of in OT.

Agree completely. It's unfortunate that Trent is better remembered for a different Duke game.

Remember Cavanaugh’s game against Duke? He had put up some fair numbers in other games, but he looked like the best player on the court (ok maybe not the best) that game. I was excited about his future after that.

Remember Cavanaugh’s game against Duke? He had put up some fair numbers in other games, but he looked like the best player on the court (ok maybe not the best) that game. I was excited about his future after that.

You mean Tyler Cavanaugh who averaged 17 ppg at GW for two years and played 50 games in the NBA before going to Europe ?

Neath plays without fear. He is confident and he is talented. Still, every aspect of his game needs substantial improvement. Hopefully he recognizes that and is committed to improving.

He has the potential to become a really good PG.

Shooting is a skill and some people are going to be better at it than others. Lots of players can get a shot off against high school defenses that they can’t get against college defenses.

The shooting number that is most disturbing in Neath's stats is free throw percentage. He shouldn't have any trouble getting that shot off in college when he gets to the line. He needs to get that number up above 75%, not just above 50%.

That is what makes BChill's drives more effective. Foul him, and it's almost an automatic two, and often three. At this point in his career, "hack-a-Neath" would seem to be the percentage play. He needs to fix that.

The shooting number that is most disturbing in Neath's stats is free throw percentage. He shouldn't have any trouble getting that shot off in college when he gets to the line. He needs to get that number up above 75%, not just above 50%.

That is what makes BChill's drives more effective. Foul him, and it's almost an automatic two, and often three. At this point in his career, "hack-a-Neath" would seem to be the percentage play. He needs to fix that.

In past three games where he has shot FTs, Jahcobi is 16-21. It's trending well.

Back