• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report - Notre Dame - Saturday 4 pm - LJVM - RSN

Pilchard

Reaction score
Mike Brey leads the Fighting Irish into LJVM for the Deacs' Senior Day on Saturday afternoon. Here is an update on ND since WF visited Mayor Pete's hometown on January 29 (the prior KP Report is linked here: https://www.ogboards.com/forums/showthread.php/32053-KP-Report-Notre-Dame-Wednesday-7-pm-ACCN):

Season update: ND has been rolling since the last WF/Irish match up going 7-2 in conference to raise the overall record to 18-10 (9-8). Currently, ND and Cuse are tied for 5th place in the conference. Upon closer review, Irish's current 7-2 run in not as impressive as it initially appears as those seven wins came against: #95 WF (Chaundee did not play), #91 UNC (by 1 -- the Heels blew 15 point lead late), #113 Pitt, #73 GT, #171 BC (BC led for most of the game, ND won on Rex Pflueger shot at the buzzer), and #106 Miami. ND's best win over that stretch was a 4 point win at Clemson, when Clemson's leading scorer Aamir Simms did not play. ND's style remains the same: play solid offense (#3 in the ACC in offensive efficiency) and crappy defense (#14 in defensive efficiency). John Mooney scored 22 points and hauled down 12 boards in last night's win at BC. While Mooney is ND's leading scorer and rebounder, all 7 of the players in the ND rotation have scored double figures at least once over their recent winning stretch.

KP Projection: KP predicts a 74-73 WF win. History says the game will be close. Other than a 34-point blow out loss to Duke, ND's ACC road games have been decided by: 1, 1 (in OT), 4, 4, 5 and 1. If WF's does have an 6 to 12 point lead in the final minutes, you can reliably count on the Deacs giving up open threes and taking awkward late possessions shots to ensure that the game is decided on the final possession. Even so, really like WF to win on Saturday as WF is the better team, Chaundee is back and ND is playing consecutive road games after a fortunate win last night. All of that said, Manning's teams have a habit of throwing up on themselves after a conference win: WF has not won back to back ACC in games in three years. WF has lost its last 12 ACC games after a conference win - just an impossibly bad streak after what should be a positive moment to build-upon. Just mind-boggling how poorly WF plays after a little success (most recently, a mediocre Miami team blew out the Deacs after the UNC win), and Tuesday's win was bigger than any of WF's previous 11 wins. While conventional wisdom says never go against a streak as you can lose multiple times and win only once, I will take the Deacs to beat the Irish on Saturday.

Last edited:
At the risk of breaking down a complicated game in too simple a way...

If we come out flat after the big Duke victory, we'll lose this... And it'll probably look a lot like that GT loss.

If the team comes out loose and confident, I think we'll win this one.

As an aside, Senior Day should be especially emotional for Torry Johnson, given he has been in college for roughly a decade now.

I am looking for three tickets for the game. Anybody have three they are willing to part with? Thanks.

PM me.

This feels like a classic Danny let down game after a big win. Seen it a thousand times.

Smart money is on ND. I'll through a couple units on it.

This feels like a classic Danny let down game after a big win. Seen it a thousand times.

Smart money is on ND. I'll through a couple units on it.

A thousand? You can count Danny Manning big wins on one hand!

But I get your point. We’re guaranteed to fuck this up.

Hopefully Wake will lose. The idea of any more Wake victories to finish out this miserable season is agonizing.

Looking for any tickets to take 3 little grands to the Wake ND game. Only game that fit after nap time. Gotta get them seeing how it can be fun. Their dad's first Deacon game was 35 yrs ago when he was 2 weeks old behind the bench. reply or PM would be appreciated.

Payback games wake 3-0 with payback at home. Just saying.

LOSS on Senior Day.

Danny don't win no two conference games in a row. :dumb:

Please please please can we have a Mooneycam for this game?

The fees were as much as the tickets.

Still hard to beat getting three for under $20 including all fees and charges.

I got a good laugh when during the Duke game, Cory Alexander was talking about potential All-ACC selections and said “Nobody is talking about John Mooney.”

Haven't seen ND mentioned as on the bubble anywhere, but at 18-10 (9-8) in the ACC, they seem to have just as good of an argument as NCSU for being the 5th ACC team in the NCAAs.

If NCSU/ND/Syracuse could get over .500 in the ACC and not shit the bed in the ACC tourney, I'd have to think they'd get a look.

Point being that ND should be plenty motivated for this one.

By the way of nothing, I recall going to the NIT championship game at Madison Square Garden during the Odom years. Notre Dame was the opponent. We crushed them, but the game was a coaching clinic. The man knows the game.

Our guys weren't better, we just played as a team. It was a beautiful thing to see. I recorded it (this was back in the day) and showed it to all my teams before the season started. Some kids got it and some didn't. The ones that didn't sat.

ACC Network is showing a baseball game between Bryant and Virginia Tech during this game as we get booted to RSN.

Back