• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Buyout Negotiations Have Begun

I don't know rj, do you think a millionaire will pay higher or lower taxes under Bernie Sanders then in the current environment?

I'll hang up and listen

I don't think there's a 1 in 1000 chance that who wins the elections have come up in the negotiations.

BTW, Bernie is not winning the WH and most likely won't be the nominee.

I don't think there's a 1 in 1000 chance that who wins the elections have come up in the negotiations.

BTW, Bernie is not winning the WH and most likely won't be the nominee.

Answer the question

It is concerning that after the story leaked from David Glenn, there have been no follow-up stories. Any real estate agents in Winston-Salem on the boards? Need to know if some houses in the New Sherwood area are about to hit the market.

I always assumed that the homes that Clawson and Manning reside are in owned by Wake. AIR, Clawson lives in Prosser's old home, yes ?

This lump sum discussion would probably amount to maybe a $3 million reduction assuming level payments of $3 million per year over the next five years. So I guess that is some savings to WF, but the idea is that it's a neutral payment, not that one side is fleecing the other.

There's no question Bernie would try to get taxes raised on millionaires. The only way he'd have a chance is if Dems won the Senate as well.

But I think I was being conservative in saying there isn't a 1 in 1000 chance it's part of the negotiations. I would say it's more like a 1 in 1,000,000 or higher chance it was brought up.

ugh indeed

yes, if Manning wants to coach again, then by taking the lump sum, his future coaching won't offset payments from WF (because he will have already received them)

:laugh::rofl::wtftard::rofl::willynilly::rofl:

Manning coaching again!!!

This lump sum discussion would probably amount to maybe a $3 million reduction assuming level payments of $3 million per year over the next five years. So I guess that is some savings to WF, but the idea is that it's a neutral payment, not that one side is fleecing the other.

of course in theory it would be a neutral payment - but reasonable minds can disagree regarding the assumptions one makes to convert a stream of payments to a lump sum; and the entity making the payment should look for reasonable arguments to reduce the value of the lump sum (like, for instance, potential future changes to the tax code, or the possibility that a 53-year-old might die and get nothing for the last year)

of course in theory it would be a neutral payment - but reasonable minds can disagree regarding the assumptions one makes to convert a stream of payments to a lump sum; and the entity making the payment should look for reasonable arguments to reduce the value of the lump sum (like, for instance, potential future changes to the tax code, or the possibility that a 53-year-old might die and get nothing for the last year)

Using that logic, if Trump is re-elected and has another tax cut for millionaires will Danny have to pay that amount back to Wake?

RE: If he dies, that's what term life insurance is for.

It's not all reasonable to think they have discussed or even brought up what happens if Bernie or a Dem gets elected. That's batshit crazy.

I'm not saying you are. I'm saying that they have discussed it in those terms is.

Yeah, that's what goes in the discount rate. But it's not like one side is arguing for 0.0% and the other is looking at 20%.

Usually the contract spells out how remaining balance gets paid out. Example 1 would be Charlie Weiss and Norte Dame. Remaining balance was paid out in annual installments over 10 year period. Example 2 would be Kevin Sumlin and Texas A & M. His contract said remaining balance was payable in full 30 days after termination.

if he doesn't care whether he ever coaches again, then he can take the payments from WF (ALL OF THEM! Not discounted into a one-time lump sum) over the remaining course of his contract, not coaching again, and not caring because he's not earning income from somewhere else and reducing his monthly payment from WF

You are assuming that Wake has to fire him. As of two weeks ago, 40% of this board didn't think it would happen. It obviously should happen and likely will, but it's a loss for both sides if Manning wouldn't agree to a lesser buyout.

Let's say the number is $12MM that Manning is still owed. No way Manning wouldn't take a slightly discounted number not to have to fly across the country to recruit high school kids, do press conferences, run the risk of a violation that would nullify his guarantee, etc.

You are assuming that Wake has to fire him. As of two weeks ago, 40% of this board didn't think it would happen. It obviously should happen and likely will, but it's a loss for both sides if Manning wouldn't agree to a lesser buyout.

Let's say the number is $12MM that Manning is still owed. No way Manning wouldn't take a slightly discounted number not to have to fly across the country to recruit high school kids, do press conferences, run the risk of a violation that would nullify his guarantee, etc.

I guess so, but Manning can easily argue that he would prefer to do all of that, which is why he signed the contract in the first place. He's got a lot of money in the bank. He worked for DBO salary at Kansas because he wanted to be a basketball coach. He doesn't want to open a steakhouse or manage his investments.

I (and Atlanta Deacon, I'm pretty sure) are assuming that if this leak is true and if Currie is a sane human being, then the decision has been made that Danny Manning will not coach again at WF after this season concludes

and so the negotiations that are allegedly happening revolve around exactly how WF will fulfill its contractual obligations to Manning.

Atlanta Deacon's mention of Manning coaching meant coaching ...somewhere else

Danny ain't getting anything close to $12M.

The number is $15 million.

May I take this moment to remind you all that as per usual in this and all situations, rj has no idea what he's talking about.

You're so right. I know nothing. I've never known anything or anyone.

Just believe Townie.

Back