• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Buyout Negotiations Have Begun

But it’s owed over the next 5 years. Like all legal disputes involving money, it can be settled. He will have to take much less than $15 million to get paid in a lump sum. The brilliant financial guys at WFU business school can come up with creative ways to lessen the burden to WF and make it work for Manning.

Usually the contract spells out how remaining balance gets paid out. Example 1 would be Charlie Weiss and Norte Dame. Remaining balance was paid out in annual installments over 10 year period. Example 2 would be Kevin Sumlin and Texas A & M. His contract said remaining balance was payable in full 30 days after termination.

Pretty sure I heard this was the case for Manning as well.

Keep in mind Wellman wrote this contract thinking Manning was THE MAN for the future of Wake basketball. He wasn't worried about needing to pay a buyout. He had to give up enough to make sure we got paid if Manning left for Kansas.

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense that this leak probably came from Manning's side because now that it's out in public from a reputable source, Currie HAS to get it done. It would be a pretty good move by Manning's agent to leak this to get that big buyout money.

breach of contract to leak negotiation information? Term for cause?

We were playing for the right to be an 11 seed. It was a play-in game and that means we were NOT in the actual tourney.

This is such a stupid position. In 1979 when the tournament went from 32 teams to 40 teams and had the bottom 16 teams play an extra game to get to continue the tournament against the top 24 teams - were those bottom 16 teams really "in" the tournament? In the years following that the tournament went through several different formats, typically involving various numbers of teams that played an extra game. Were those teams "in" the tournament?

Of course they were.

Just like now the tournament has expanded to 68 teams so all 68 teams are "in" the tournament.

If this deal gets done by the weekend, the optics for next week's annual first-round loss could be quite interesting. Could we have Ernie Nestor sitting there by himself?
Will be interesting to see how this plays out in the coming days.

It would do no one any good to fire him before the ACCT loss.

It would do no one any good to fire him before the ACCT loss.

Well, if any of this rumor is remotely true, being fired is a foregone conclusion and Manning already knows he's fired. It's when the buyout negotiations are completed at this point.

I'd be surprised if part of the negotiation isn't to let him finish the entire season, including the ACCT. That isn't as embarrassing.

I (and Atlanta Deacon, I'm pretty sure) are assuming that if this leak is true and if Currie is a sane human being, then the decision has been made that Danny Manning will not coach again at WF after this season concludes

and so the negotiations that are allegedly happening revolve around exactly how WF will fulfill its contractual obligations to Manning.

Atlanta Deacon's mention of Manning coaching meant coaching ...somewhere else

Yes, I by no means think that anyone wants Manning back at Wake Forest in 2020-21. I assume he still wants to coach college basketball somewhere in some capacity. Nobody thinks he needed the Wake contract to feed his family. I think all we're talking about is how much we (WFU) have to pay him (Manning) to go away and if he wants to be on the bench in Kansas (or some other school) next year hoping he'll take less than what is guaranteed.

This is such a stupid position. In 1979 when the tournament went from 32 teams to 40 teams and had the bottom 16 teams play an extra game to get to continue the tournament against the top 24 teams - were those bottom 16 teams really "in" the tournament? In the years following that the tournament went through several different formats, typically involving various numbers of teams that played an extra game. Were those teams "in" the tournament?

Of course they were.

Just like now the tournament has expanded to 68 teams so all 68 teams are "in" the tournament.

How far did you have Wake going in your bracket?

I always assumed that the homes that Clawson and Manning reside are in owned by Wake. AIR, Clawson lives in Prosser's old home, yes ?

I assume Clawson and Manning own their own homes. Wake owns a number of houses near the campus which I believe are leased to faculty and staff. Most of those homes are pretty modest (at least by the standards of somebody making a D-1 head coach's salary).

Make it like the teachers in NYC who get suspended. No windows, no computer, basement office. Have to report every day at 9 AM. You want to be unreasonable with contract negotiations?

Back