• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Buyout Negotiations Have Begun

I do not understand why anyone would not drive to Beilein's house and pack him up and move him to WS if he would take the WFU job? Age should not be an issue.

B-Line is 67.
Jim Boeheim is 75.
Roy Williams is 69.
Coach K is 73.
Leonard Hamilton is 71.

No one on that list was asked to rebuild a program in their sixties. Those guys got to those schools before they were 60! We're talking about some all-time basketball schools on this list, as well. It may take a little more energy & relatability to get kids committed to WFU.

It must be interesting to have a job where you can fail over and over again, do you get self awareness that you suck at your job? Like does he know, or is he an extreme narcissist like the president. Like if you were a lawyer but you are 0-20 in cases for the year or a doctor that kills someone weekly you know you suck.

He'll get another shot down the line, maybe his ceiling is just average mid major coach.

March 22nd. Someone's birthday. Let's give him and WF a gift on that day. Only problem is he might still be coaching then.

Last edited:
Not that this has anything to do with Danny Manning or his buyout, but I'm pretty sure your friend recently died. Sorry.

Lovett is still around? I had him for an English class, and he was very interesting. I still remember some of the points he made. My roommate and I even did some community work at his behest. Great guy. I wish him well.

timing is everything

Disagree entirely. He was awarded a contract and Wake Forest needs to honor it or negotiate out of it. None of that has anything to do with Manning's integrity, and he isn't leveraging shit. This was Wake's mistake and Wake needs to rectify it.

Ditto this.

Usually the contract spells out how remaining balance gets paid out. Example 1 would be Charlie Weiss and Norte Dame. Remaining balance was paid out in annual installments over 10 year period. Example 2 would be Kevin Sumlin and Texas A & M. His contract said remaining balance was payable in full 30 days after termination.

I think the issue here is that the contract spells out that it is fully guaranteed. Year over year, he gets paid.

IS-3faa5t4wfsd9.webp

WTF is this in Manning's house?!?!

I would take Beilin because he can coach. Worried he wouldn't be able to recruit after the THUG debacle.

Would love Matta.

Would love to get a reduced buyout.

Would love to get a win on ACC Tuesday vs Carolina

If Beilein comes to Wake, is it okay if Mike Gansey comes with him? Not that he would; sounds like the coaching end of things may not be his bag.

Rex Walters
@CoachRexWalters

It amazes me that people will sell their soul to get some action on their twitter account. Literally make crap up. Sad.

If he had a shred of integrity he would have resigned last year without asking for another penny. Or the year before that. But he hasn't, so fuck that motherfucker, and it is incomprehensible why anyone associated with the University has shown in him any respect in the meantime.

Has nothing to do with integrity; a contract is a contract. Jim Caldwell sucked pretty bad as a coach as well, but I don't recall him saying "my bad, you guys keep the $$". A contract is like a pre-nup; just the fact that both parties agree to one on the front end already says that "while I love you today, there's no guarantee I'll still love you down the road". If Wake goes to extremes to void or significantly lessen the guarantees of Manning's contract, a agent for somebody like Belien will make sure his client takes Wake off his list.

Rex Walters
@CoachRexWalters

It amazes me that people will sell their soul to get some action on their twitter account. Literally make crap up. Sad.

If Danny Manning has a shred of integrity he will resign without asking for another penny from Wake Forest.

I am not kidding. He was hired to do a job and he failed utterly. Mark Richt had the decency to resign as Miami football coach because he failed to get it done. Manning does not need the money. It is outrageous if he is trying to leverage Wake for another 10 to 15 million dollars just to go away.

This is where I am as well. He can fuck right off. Can't believe we're going to come OOP for what will likely be less than $15MM, but still probably $8-10MM....who knows... for producing three 20 loss seasons, one 19 loss season and potentially an 18 loss season out of six seasons.

I, too, hope we can find someone besides the best coach available!!!

Yes, after these past 10 years, please don't hire the coach that has been to 2 National Title games in the same time frame. Please don't hire a guy that created two top 5 defenses the past two seasons. He beat Wake's best team in 20 years with a double digit seed. For the level the program is at now, this hire would have the rest of the world scratching their heads as to why would he go there, but we have people that think we can do better.

This thread is now twice as long as the holes game thread.... and still counting.

i will never be able to consider the "first four" as "making the tournament". It's like a participation trophy.

so the 11 seeds that play in Dayton and especially the ones that win that night aren't really in the tournament?
So VCU going from First Four to Final Four in 2011 didn't really count for them as being in the tournament?
did you feel that way when they took the tournament from 32 to 48 in 1980 or 48 to 64 in 1985?
1991 was really the only "Play in games" with six teams playing each other (Saint Francis, Pennsylvania versus Fordham; Coastal Carolina versus Jackson State; NE Louisiana versus Florida A&M) before the tournament bracket was ever announced.

I do not understand why anyone would not drive to Beilein's house and pack him up and move him to WS if he would take the WFU job? Age should not be an issue.

B-Line is 67.
Jim Boeheim is 75.
Roy Williams is 69.
Coach K is 73.
Leonard Hamilton is 71.

and probably 3 of them will be retired within 3 years. do we want to have to go back to the coaching well in 3 years? hopefully, we would be in better shape to entice a quality guy but why do it?

Back