• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Buyout Negotiations Have Begun

Just a matter of time before universities start asking for bailouts. Yes I know how endowments work and no I don’t believe that universities sitting on 10 figure endowments should be bailed out

Just a matter of time before universities start asking for bailouts. Yes I know how endowments work and no I don’t believe that universities sitting on 10 figure endowments should be bailed out

Why not? If the idea is that they don’t need the money, it seems you encourage big business to set up (as they have) to need the money in downturns. Is there a better way to incentivize preparation by big business? Is that even a good idea?

I don’t disagree. I just think it is an interesting conversation and interested in other’s opinions.

There’s a major distinction between private and public institutions here.

Private universities shouldn’t get jack.

States are going to need to figure out what their colleges and universities need. Administrators and definitely high profile coaches should take voluntary cuts. If it’s that 3rd, 4th, or 5th million for the football coach vs. cutting the field hockey team, coach needs to step up.

Other private businesses get money. Why not private universities? I definitely appreciate your perspective as an educator at a public with your own private education.

Private businesses shouldn’t either.

The goal of keeping people afloat during times of crisis should be met through direct payments.

The goal of keeping people afloat during times of crisis should be met through direct payments.

Small businesses should get help as well. I agree airlines and other huge entities should not be bailed out. I don't care who is running united in 2022 but someone would be. Actually maybe those people would run it better.

I guess it depends on the small business.

Much of small business owners’ payroll and personal needs would be covered by sizable direct payouts.

Sorry, I am not particularly savvy on this. Direct payments mean the business doesn’t get the money but rather all money goes “direct” to employees?

Sorry, I am not particularly savvy on this. Direct payments mean the business doesn’t get the money but rather all money goes “direct” to employees?

If it was large direct payments that go to everyone and those who make over $100K pay it back in their tax returns, business owners wouldn’t have to worry about payroll and the business owners would get direct payments too.

Golly a ray of logic in a crazy world. It is the right thing to do, but I would guess it would be a cold day in Hell before DFL would agree to anything so helpful to the whole university. I could see all other coaches signing on and DFL saying "hell no" I want every frigging dime I am owed. After all I only have several million in the bank and my stock portfolio has taken a real hit!" Don't see DFl donating $5.0 million dollars to help the city like Drew Brees did!

More bs. There is zero data or sources that indicate if athletic depts budget is cut that manning would be the lone holdout. You might as well say clawson wouldnt.

And drew breese makes at least $15mil a year on endorsements alone. There is no comparison. Bloody hell, think before you post. Or think smarter, can you ffg o that?

This is one of the early dominoes. I expect to see this happen at every college. Iowa State did 10% in athletics. Now Stanford is doing 20% in academic administration. The cuts could eventually reach 50% in some places. Some upper level administrators could take 75% cuts and would still be making hefty salaries. Many would still be making more than state governors.

They could also trim non essential departments like Sociology......:D

giphy.gif

Once profs get comfortable with this online teaching dynamic, I can see schools agreeing to share professors and courses. Say, for example, you could have a NCCU instructor teaching Duke BB players online and they would get to count it as a Duke course. Of course, in the finest UNC tradition the course would have to be open to Duke non-athletes.

Once profs get comfortable with this online teaching dynamic, I can see schools agreeing to share professors and courses. Say, for example, you could have a NCCU instructor teaching Duke BB players online and they would get to count it as a Duke course. Of course, in the finest UNC tradition the course would have to be open to Duke non-athletes.

This basically happens anyway. Adjunct professors often teach at multiple institutions face to face and online.

Back