• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Buyout Negotiations Have Begun

If the story that the contract was fully guaranteed was true there wouldn't really be anything to negotiate, would there?

I would imagine these guaranteed contracts get a little complicated if you want to do more coaching and not just sit on your butt until the contract runs out. Probably easier to settle on a lump sum as you head out the door and be free to do whatever you want the next 3 years (or whatever the term is) without having to worry how things impact the terms of the guaranteed contract.

Waiting for rj’s sources before I get too excited.

The timing does suggest a candidate not presently coaching and not interested in bargaining with multiple offers. Beilien qualifies. So does Matta.

Or someone that is known by our AD to be on the way out of their current gig based on a prior relationship with the other school.

In all seriousness, this could indicate the whole process might proceed quite quickly. Sounds like Currie is trying to handle this and wrap up ASAP. Get Manning out of the way so we can focus on what makes this successful, the next coach.

What better way for Currie to have Hatch's attention and get the necessary buy-in from Hatch and then, presumably, the BOT. Negotiate and influence for a secret deal right in plain sight of thousands. Nobody would suspect.

The timing does suggest a candidate not presently coaching and not interested in bargaining with multiple offers. Beilien qualifies. So does Matta.

Or it could just mean that we finally have a competent AD who knows that Manning needs to go and wants to get it over with.

This is exactly what this board needs to breath life into it, especially now that RJ Jr had tags disabled, and RJ Sr had anonymous rep disabled.

I did no such thing. The board voted on it several years ago.

The only negotiation from Manning's side that make sense is lump sum(s) sooner instead of continued payments until 2025. Maybe $6 million in 2020 and $5 million in 2021. Or something like that.

Right. And he could take a new job, coach there and get paid there on top of the lump sum (as opposed to having an offset, which I would hope would be in his current contract but who knows).

Agree.

The season will be over in 6 days. We don't need an interim. Work out the buyout and say goodbye after allowing 65 points in the second half of a loss on Tuesday.

Fire him and let Childress coach vs. State, his senior night opponent, and the ACC Tournament.

Is anyone feeling that tingle of excitement yet? I got a quick jolt with the thread title but then the reality of the lost decade smothered any hope I have. I don't know if I can "go home again". Watching Brandon and Randolph embrace was a bittersweet moment. That should have been a legendary moment, but it just kicked me in the nuts to contrast their relative experiences at Wake.

Fire him and let Childress coach vs. State, his senior night opponent, and the ACC Tournament.

If Randolph wins a few games he might be the answer as our new head coach !??!!!

This is exactly what this board needs to breath life into it, especially now that RJ Jr had tags disabled, and RJ Sr had anonymous rep disabled.

Says the asshole who ruined our great board from years ago? The irony is so thick you could cut it with a knife.

Shouldn’t you be out celebrating your Tar Holes winning last night, turfdouchega?

Back