• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Buyout Negotiations Have Begun

My source says they are right about the negotiations but wrong on the details. Currie and Manning are negotiating an extension to calm the speculation and get recruiting back on track.

I don't know how you can let this info get out and then not get rid of him. It's one thing to let there be rumors that a buyout is holding up things while still publicly supporting the coach (last year), compared to now having a reputable source saying that you're trying to get rid of the coach.

Why wouldn't there be numerous players going elsewhere, recruits decommitting, and any coach with other opportunities pursuing them? You not only kick the entire fanbase while it's already down but you basically ensure that the program is screwed (even more-so than now) for at least the next year or two and you are proclaiming that Manning will be gone within a short timeframe. Furthermore, you're going to lose more in uncaptured revenue next season than you will in the buyout ticking down another year.

So I'm not really deterred too much with the new information added onto the original report.

TITCR. No reason this leak would come out of WF unless they were confident they could get it done. Negotiations may have been going on for some time now.

So...Goodman's report has been right since the beginning. And RJ, welp, wrong.

I'm not vibing as hard as I was an hour ago. But I think Currie gets it done.

FWIW, Glenn specifically said he doesn’t believe it is the $15mil Goodman reported... But that it is significant (5 years left).

How does it neutralize Manning?

I agree that this definitely seems like a break from Wellman’s style. This is clAwesome.

It’s definitely not neutralizing, but it could possibly give you a form of leverage if done correctly.

If everyone knows you’re trying to buy him out and it doesn’t happen, the only reason would be because Manning is completely unwilling to budge/negotiate with despite a clearly consistently awful product on the floor. I would think that’d put a smear on his reputation as a coach when trying to find another HC job + negotiating future contracts.

It could also come back to bite you in the ass with your fan base, though.

I actually got a little excited about MBB for the 1st time in a LONG while. Hoping this is wrapped up soon.

Or, it gives Manning leverage because he knows Currie is now committed to getting it done. Manning can get his money either way. Currie can only do whatever it takes to get rid of Manning.

Currie does have to be committed to getting it done regardless of how much Manning budges, if any. I don’t see much reason for him to offer a discount. Maybe he agrees to take less if he gets it lump sum. If he thinks Bernie may get elected better to take less now than pay 90% tax in a couple of years? Either way, pay him and move on.

Just remember that if this happens, he is looking for a new job. And he isn't getting millions to leave Wake.

But how does it help him AT ALL to Tweet this? He’s not going to prove anything. He’s not going to sway Currie into keeping Manning, it actually may hurt Manning.

I actually think he would have a shot at sticking around if we get a mid major instead of a Beilein kind of guy. I wouldn’t mind it either. I would actually understand reasoning by keeping ONE of Danny’s current assistants. Keep Randolph, and you get a + recruiter and a guy that has been at Wake for a very large portion of his life. Keep Rex, and you get a guy that seems to have made an impact (I think we all agree he’s made an impact, big or small to be debated) on this team in a positive way, and he also has NBA coaching experience, learning under Van Gundy. Ernie Nestor brings another level of experience, has head coaching experience at Elon, and has been a part of a successful group at Wake Forest. Steve Woodberry has no chance.

If we get a Forbes, or a Craig Smith, or a Bob Richey, I wouldn’t be surprised or upset if he kept around one of these guys.

But how does it help him AT ALL to Tweet this? He’s not going to prove anything. He’s not going to sway Currie into keeping Manning, it actually may hurt Manning.

I actually think he would have a shot at sticking around if we get a mid major instead of a Beilein kind of guy. I wouldn’t mind it either. I would actually understand reasoning by keeping ONE of Danny’s current assistants. Keep Randolph, and you get a + recruiter and a guy that has been at Wake for a very large portion of his life. Keep Rex, and you get a guy that seems to have made an impact (I think we all agree he’s made an impact, big or small to be debated) on this team in a positive way, and he also has NBA coaching experience, learning under Van Gundy. Ernie Nestor brings another level of experience, has head coaching experience at Elon, and has been a part of a successful group at Wake Forest. Steve Woodberry has no chance.

If we get a Forbes, or a Craig Smith, or a Bob Richey, I wouldn’t be surprised or upset if he kept around one of these guys.
Me neither, so long as the coach is the one making the call to retain said assistant. If he wants their own entirely new staff, so be it.

Did we get any sort of leak about firing him like this last year?

Or, it gives Manning leverage because he knows Currie is now committed to getting it done. Manning can get his money either way. Currie can only do whatever it takes to get rid of Manning.

Yeah, this is one the parts that could bite you in the ass if done incorrectly or prematurely.

Did we get any sort of leak about firing him like this last year?

I don’t remember anything specifically outside of the tweets that came from a couple small-time BS accounts that reported he had been fired. It’s reassuring coming from David Glenn imo.

Are you seriously suggesting DFL Manning is going to be coaching again soon? LMAO!😂😂

Yes. He will have a head coaching job next year. Won't be high level but he will.

He says he knows conversations are definitely happening but a $10-15 million buyout may still be too much.

I don't know how you can let this info get out and then not get rid of him. It's one thing to let there be rumors that a buyout is holding up things while still publicly supporting the coach (last year), compared to now having a reputable source saying that you're trying to get rid of the coach.

Why wouldn't there be numerous players going elsewhere, recruits decommitting, and any coach with other opportunities pursuing them? You not only kick the entire fanbase while it's already down but you basically ensure that the program is screwed (even more-so than now) for at least the next year or two and you are proclaiming that Manning will be gone within a short timeframe. Furthermore, you're going to lose more in uncaptured revenue next season than you will in the buyout ticking down another year.

So I'm not really deterred too much with the new information added onto the original report.

All of these things are true but don't forget Manning likely wants to coach again. The leak helps Currie more than it hurts him.

Manning is always welcome at Kansas. He will be a Self assistant

Beilein would be an amazing hire, even if it brings his son’s drama to the program. If he comes to Wake, that would help heal the wound he caused in 2005.

I sure hope we don’t see anyone retained from the staff. They had their chance and all failed miserably. Walters had to know he was likely joining the program for one season.

I hope they are not counting on endowment money based on the last couples weeks of stocks

Question. Could we reassign Manning or does his contract state he must be the Head Basketball Coach at Wake Forest.

Question. Could we reassign Manning or does his contract state he must be the Head Basketball Coach at Wake Forest.

That information has not been publicly released. However, more than likely his contract does contain language about head basketball coach

Back