• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Buyout Negotiations Have Begun

Why do we speculate about things that have never been done before in the history of college basketball?

Manning is either going to be the head coach at Wake Forest or he isn't.

You're not going to stroll into the Pit one day and see him making sandwiches.

The fuck kind of contract wouldn’t say that?

It's been a while (2010), but in my Sports Law class, we had someone from the WF AD speak to us, and he said that the majority of contracts do not say that, which is why you so often see coaches "resign" rather than being fired. The AD does fire the coach, which would entitle him/her to the full terms and compensation due under the contract. Instead, the school tells the coach that he/she will be reassigned. It gives the school leverage in negotiating a lower severance package, and allows the coach to resign to save face.

From what I’ve read it sounds like Beilein isn’t trending towards Texas. If he makes a return to CBB this year, Wake and BC will be the 2 most likely scenarios. I feel quite good about a coach choosing between BC’s shitty facilities and program, and Wake’s brand new Shah complex along with a historically good program. If we miss on Beilein, let’s not settle for HOF Wes. I’m cool with Beilein, Forbes, Matta, Willard, Shaka (if fired).

The buyout is 15 million from a source within the AD. Trying to negotiate with Manning’s agent. It could go either way.

I heard from a reliable source that Rick Pitino is looking at homes in the Buena Vista neighborhood today. :thumbsup:

The buyout is 15 million from a source within the AD. Trying to negotiate with Manning’s agent. It could go either way.

If true does Manning want all the money in a lump sum? If I am Wake I would prefer to pay him year to year since as was mentioned some pages back, if he gets another job Wake is off the hook on severance.

Heard Wellman renegotiated buyout on last day as a AD. Buyout up to 1 Billion. Hatch has agreed to turn over the entire endowment to Manning. Scoopla!

If true does Manning want all the money in a lump sum? If I am Wake I would prefer to pay him year to year since as was mentioned some pages back, if he gets another job Wake is off the hook on severance.

I would guess this is part of the negotiation. Let's say we do owe him $15 million dollars are whatever. We can offer something like $2.5 million/year honoring the initial terms of the contract (disclaimer: I don't know what the numbers are), but those payments stop when you take a new job. A lump sum payment would probably be a reduced amount that he can take now to fuck off and the benefit is that it frees him up to take a new job now. Everything makes it sound like the contract is really bad for Wake though, so who knows.

This story all by itself is proof that John is NOT Ron.

I mean, I'm not sure the $45K Manning will make as the head coach at East Surry will end up making much of a dent in the buyout owed.

when I filled out my bracket, WF was not an option

strong-ish KenPom rating though, which I was once* told is way more important

*actually way, WAY more than once, but from the same source

I mean, I'm not sure the $45K Manning will make as the head coach at East Surry will end up making much of a dent in the buyout owed.

This is a good point. I just googled what the assistants at Kansas make and they have two guys on the bench making $325k/year. Coincidentally, they're the two highest paid assistants in college. I think it's safe to say that if Danny went back to Kansas as an assistant, which is probably the best case for him because I don't know who the fuck would want this guy running their program, he'd probably max out at a couple hundred grand a year, not putting the biggest dent in the buyout.

Currie better do what it takes to get rid of Manning, i cant even imagine they dont negotiate on the buyout and Manning is back next year.

Back