• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Buyout Negotiations Have Begun

35ze3t.jpg

that's a very uncharacteristic leak from the AD, if true

there were rumors when Manning was hired that his agent leaked our interest in him (to drive up the contract price) but I don't see an advantage for Manning's side to leak this

Very surprising that this has been leaked before the ACCT. I wasn't expecting anything to be out there for another week.

Hurley ! Hurley ! Hurley ! Hurley ! Hurley !

Best case scenario is that Currie has secured a new coach, the money for a buyout and is ready to move forward. No sense waiting until after the tournament. An interim coach can be assigned to complete the season if necessary.

He may think the fan base deserves better than it has received the past ten years. He would be correct in that belief.

An early announcement benefits the present staff. I allows them to seek other opportunities asap.

Last edited:
If the story that the contract was fully guaranteed was true there wouldn't really be anything to negotiate, would there?

The only negotiation from Manning's side that make sense is lump sum(s) sooner instead of continued payments until 2025. Maybe $6 million in 2020 and $5 million in 2021. Or something like that.

This is probably David Glenn reporting it. The name that keeps coming up to me, even though I am very skeptical, is John Belein.

If the story that the contract was fully guaranteed was true there wouldn't really be anything to negotiate, would there?

Couldn't the buyout have contingencies if he becomes employed elsewhere? That would be a big piece to negotiate: a reduced amount in a lump sum so Manning could go coach somewhere else.

Honestly, who cares. Pay the man and pay enough for a great coach so we don't have to discuss buyouts anymore.

The season will be over in 6 days. We don't need an interim. Work out the buyout and say goodbye after allowing 65 points in the second half of a loss on Tuesday.

The timing does suggest a candidate not presently coaching and not interested in bargaining with multiple offers. Beilien qualifies. So does Matta.

Back