• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

It's been 100% clear what needs to be done to get out of where we are - we just aren't doing it.

You're damn right there wasn't much benefit the past two months.

There are three paths we can take:

1. Just say "fuck it" and live our lives again, accepting that a lot of people will needlessly die.
2. Hedge between lockdown and full living, but don't expand testing/tracing enough to know who really has it.
3. Do what countries like South Korea have done and get testing/tracing available for everybody (not just "we have testing", but actually enough).

Almost everybody thinks No. 1 is unacceptable...hell I'm sure 2and2 is even against this.

We have made it clear that we aren't going to do No. 3.

So No. 2 is what we are going to do, which will not sustain businesses like restaurants, entertainment, or basically anything that is not essential for human beings. It will also lead to a lot of deaths as a second spike comes and we get back to where we are.

It's a very clear path forward - No. 3...but for "some unknown reason" we just aren't doing it.

I agree that #3 does not look like it is going happen. In fact there seems to be a rise in support for #1. Or something as close to #1 as #2.

There's another problem. In New York, they have more tests than willing test takers:

I’d think that an appropriately executed #3 would cause the least economic disruption going forward. You’d think the heritage/Koch groups Astroturfing the “muh freedoms” reopen campaigns would get that too but it seems they’re calculating greater ROV in trying to keep Trump around

It's not just people dying.

It's extreme overuse of hospitals and resources at one time that cause other severe shortages to treat routine surgeries/things that currently are "simple" to us.

The fact that we have no idea who has it and no plan to figure that out in the future is going to vastly inhibit our ability to get back to normal.

If Trump really wanted to get us back as soon as possible then he would be all in on testing and contact tracing. I would assume most people, myself included, are not going to go back to anywhere near normal until they know that they are not at risk to get COVID simply by going out of their house a lot.

I got news for ya... The virus is here to stay for a good long while and it may never go away completely. Are you at risk for the flu every year despite taking the vaccine? Yes, yes you are. Nothing is 100%. Hell, it was 50% effective last year alone according to the CDC. You will always be "at risk" unless you are waiting on a covid miracle vaccine that has a 100% effective rate. Just like I'm at risk everyday of dying by numerous random everyday accidents. I could drop dead any second from an exponential list of everyday factors. But hey, if a self-made prison of fear for potentially the rest of your life is what you'd prefer then so be it because the virus will probably be around for a long time to come. No, I don't think most people will end up following you down that path of living.

[/B]

I got news for ya... The virus is here to stay for a good long while and it may never go away completely. Are you at risk for the flu every year despite taking the vaccine? Yes, yes you are. Nothing is 100%. Hell, it was 50% effective last year alone according to the CDC. You will always be "at risk" unless you are waiting on a covid miracle vaccine that has a 100% effective rate. Just like I'm at risk everyday of dying by numerous random everyday accidents. I could drop dead any second from an exponential list of everyday factors. But hey, if a self-made prison of fear for potentially the rest of your life is what you'd prefer then so be it because the virus will probably be around for a long time to come. No, I don't think most people will end up following you down that path of living.

The virus will be always be around. But if no one is getting it or spreading it then it’s way less of a problem. Hence, testing and tracing #3.

[/B]

I hope this is another Eric Trump quote.

Is this some weird American privileged fuck yeah thing? Like when you just do nothing there isn't some hypothetical or even those models none of the rubes come close to understanding, there are real places with real results in other countries when hospital systems get overwhelmed. What is going to happen here is just going to be a long smoldering burn of cases and deaths, it wont ever be catastrophe because enough responsible people do mitigation efforts like wear masks, tons of companies will just keep their workers home, etc... but with that long smoldering we won't see a great economic rebound and will just accept thousands of deaths because America.

Yeah I mean we are already normalizing and accepting 1K-2K Americans dying a day. The shock factor has worn off already on that.

We will likely manage it where it will "only" be this number for a few months, but if we have 1K deaths a day until August then that's 200K alone.

Seems like we would want to do something to prevent that.

Yeah I mean we are already normalizing and accepting 1K-2K Americans dying a day. The shock factor has worn off already on that.

We will likely manage it where it will "only" be this number for a few months, but if we have 1K deaths a day until August then that's 200K alone.

Seems like we would want to do something to prevent that.

Yeah, like keep those fucking yankees in their sin cities this summer.

Is this some weird American privileged fuck yeah thing? Like when you just do nothing there isn't some hypothetical or even those models none of the rubes come close to understanding, there are real places with real results in other countries when hospital systems get overwhelmed. What is going to happen here is just going to be a long smoldering burn of cases and deaths, it wont ever be catastrophe because enough responsible people do mitigation efforts like wear masks, tons of companies will just keep their workers home, etc... but with that long smoldering we won't see a great economic rebound and will just accept thousands of deaths because America.

Can confirm that recovery curve will be a long lazy U-shape or W-shape, rather than V-shaped.

There's another problem. In New York, they have more tests than willing test takers:

Also, how many people miss/avoid testing because of low literacy, ESL, or immigration status? I'd be scared as hell of coming in to get tested and then getting ICEd.

It is a privilege to be not just evasive of expertise and science, but have to a dogmatic antagonism toward them.

My parents are taking the distancing super seriously, and sent an e-mail to us the other day talking about possibly not getting together for Christmas and maybe not seeing each other until there is a vaccine. I understand their anxiety (hell I inherited it), and I support them, but man it's a huge bummer. My kids are just 2 and 4 and I hate that they may lose a couple years of building a relationship with their grandparents.

Breweries still closed? The text of Cooper’s executive order suggests that some of Charlotte’s breweries must also remain closed. The order keeps bars closed. A bar, the order says, is an establishment that is not a restaurant and that is “principally engaged in the business of selling alcoholic beverages for onsite consumption.” Some Charlotte nightlife spots that people think of as bars are actually restaurants if they serve food. Many breweries do not serve food but rely on food trucks to keep drinkers fed.
Outdoor gatherings are now allowed to have up to 25 people. Indoor gatherings are still capped at 10.

Back