• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

It's been 100% clear what needs to be done to get out of where we are - we just aren't doing it.

You're damn right there wasn't much benefit the past two months.

There are three paths we can take:

1. Just say "fuck it" and live our lives again, accepting that a lot of people will needlessly die.
2. Hedge between lockdown and full living, but don't expand testing/tracing enough to know who really has it.
3. Do what countries like South Korea have done and get testing/tracing available for everybody (not just "we have testing", but actually enough).

Almost everybody thinks No. 1 is unacceptable...hell I'm sure 2and2 is even against this.

We have made it clear that we aren't going to do No. 3.

So No. 2 is what we are going to do, which will not sustain businesses like restaurants, entertainment, or basically anything that is not essential for human beings. It will also lead to a lot of deaths as a second spike comes and we get back to where we are.

It's a very clear path forward - No. 3...but for "some unknown reason" we just aren't doing it.

I agree that #3 is needed and just not happening due to poor leadership. So my guess is that poor leadership means we will vacillate between #1 and #2. No national leadership or cohesive plan, and governors will open up as hospital bandwidth allows, then shut back down as they approach their max.

We should tell SEC fans that they need to get Covid-19 in order to attend football games (you could pack'em in then), and they'll be licking every toilet seat and door handle. Those that survive are happy, and those that die before November can't vote. As close to a win/win I can devise.

It's been 100% clear what needs to be done to get out of where we are - we just aren't doing it.

You're damn right there wasn't much benefit the past two months.

There are three paths we can take:

1. Just say "fuck it" and live our lives again, accepting that a lot of people will needlessly die.
2. Hedge between lockdown and full living, but don't expand testing/tracing enough to know who really has it.
3. Do what countries like South Korea have done and get testing/tracing available for everybody (not just "we have testing", but actually enough).

Almost everybody thinks No. 1 is unacceptable...hell I'm sure 2and2 is even against this.

We have made it clear that we aren't going to do No. 3.

So No. 2 is what we are going to do, which will not sustain businesses like restaurants, entertainment, or basically anything that is not essential for human beings. It will also lead to a lot of deaths as a second spike comes and we get back to where we are.

It's a very clear path forward - No. 3...but for "some unknown reason" we just aren't doing it.

There is a portion of the population in America that does not give a fuck or has grown tired of being stuck at home and who will follow path #1. Most people in this group aren't actually at high risk of dying themselves but will perpetuate the ongoing spread. Not to be pessimistic but the virus isn't magically going away. Herd immunity and an effective vaccination to eventually keep the virus under control appear to be a probable outcome.

Here is a video of people having fun at a get together this past Monday:

Others will follow #2 and that will be supported by most government and businesses. This is our reality and path being taken. Attempted controlled spread.

#3 has no chance of happening in the US for this pandemic and doubtful for the next one or the one after. The economy can't/won't support it and people need money to live.

#3 is the best way forward for the economy. That’s what is working in countries that are closer to normal.

It’s tough to see getting on a plane without confidence that I’m not sharing air particles with someone who may be positive for COVID-19.

[/B]

I got news for ya... The virus is here to stay for a good long while and it may never go away completely. Are you at risk for the flu every year despite taking the vaccine? Yes, yes you are. Nothing is 100%. Hell, it was 50% effective last year alone according to the CDC. You will always be "at risk" unless you are waiting on a covid miracle vaccine that has a 100% effective rate. Just like I'm at risk everyday of dying by numerous random everyday accidents. I could drop dead any second from an exponential list of everyday factors. But hey, if a self-made prison of fear for potentially the rest of your life is what you'd prefer then so be it because the virus will probably be around for a long time to come. No, I don't think most people will end up following you down that path of living.

It’s impressive to pack so much ignorance into one post.

#3 is the best way forward for the economy. That’s what is working in countries that are closer to normal.

It’s tough to see getting on a plane without confidence that I’m not sharing air particles with someone who may be positive for COVID-19.
Lots of people in the United States can't live with the uncertainty of quarantining at home without a defined end date, and lots of them either don't know someone who has or had Covid, or they do and that person didn't have a serious case. They won't take it seriously themselves and will become part of the problem by going back to restaurants, church, etc. The only way option 3 would have worked is for the government to take total control and that never would have worked here.

We also don't have the cooperative mindset that allowed people in various other countries to beat Covid by working together. Here everyone just wants theirs

Once again, South Korea and the United States had their first case on the same day. They have 11,122 CASES, and we have 94K deaths.

They have 5 deaths per capita, while we have 287 deaths per capita. That's 57.4x as many once you account for population.

Seoul has a population density of 45K per square mile, which would rank 4th in the United States in population density per city.

I know we have gotten used to poor leadership, but my god we have killed so many more people than we've needed to because of delayed/no responses.

Oh shit youth baseball postponed another month whatever will I do.

tenor.gif

#3 has no chance of happening in the US for this pandemic and doubtful for the next one or the one after. The economy can't/won't support it and people need money to live.

I’m guessing you didn’t read what option 3 is. It is testing and tracing. How in the hell does “the economy not support that?”

Once again, South Korea and the United States had their first case on the same day. They have 11,122 CASES, and we have 94K deaths.

They have 5 deaths per capita, while we have 287 deaths per capita. That's 57.4x as many once you account for population.

Seoul has a population density of 45K per square mile, which would rank 4th in the United States in population density per city.

I know we have gotten used to poor leadership, but my god we have killed so many more people than we've needed to because of delayed/no responses.

This is correct. We already do contact tracing in the US for some infectious diseases (HIV and syphilis, for example, which have significant privacy concerns), so we could do it for COVID19. It would take work, but it's doable. Instead, we have had essentially no organization from the federal government, and we end up in totally dumb arguments about ineffective treatments, if masks are an assault on our freedom, how this compares to pneumonia deaths, etc.

I’m guessing you didn’t read what option 3 is. It is testing and tracing. How in the hell does “the economy not support that?”

Even if we are viewing this solely through a fiscal/economic lens, No. 3 is by far the most "cost efficient" choice long-term.

'Merica is finally GREAT AGAIN!

This is correct. We already do contact tracing in the US for some infectious diseases (HIV and syphilis, for example, which have significant privacy concerns), so we could do it for COVID19. It would take work, but it's doable. Instead, we have had essentially no organization from the federal government, and we end up in totally dumb arguments about ineffective treatments, if masks are an assault on our freedom, how this compares to pneumonia deaths, etc.

If only we could use this opportunity for some interesting opportunities. I dunno what though... probably not job creation while people are out of work.

The U.S. is about 100 times the size of South Korea. South Korea is roughly the size of Indiana. I’m not saying contact tracing is impossible or shouldn’t be ramped up significantly, but by sheer geographic scope, it’s a much more difficult task here than in South Korea.

Back