• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

Thoughts and prayers, Shorty.

Question for the people that actually know what they are talking about on this thread. My gym that holds HIIT classes is reopening next week with limited class sizes so that you can social distance, have cut the class time down to 30 minutes, will be taking temperature at the door (I know, doesn't catch asymptomatics), and has an air purifier system that they claim kills viruses https://www.airoasis.com/ionic-air-purifiers/#anchor2a. Given these precautions, is it safe for me to go to the gym for these types of classes and is it any less safe than going to the grocery store at this point with half the people not wearing masks anyway?

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-05-22-20-intl/index.html

In that scenario, the agency describes its estimate that 0.4% of people who feel sick with Covid-19 will die. For people age 65 and older, the CDC puts that number at 1.3%. For people 49 and under, the agency says 0.05% of symptomatic people will die. It assumes that people without symptoms are every bit as infectious as those with symptoms.

I mean, you have to feel pretty sanguine based on those estimates, don't you? Especially the 49 and under crowd?

It’s not about “feeling good” about my odds. It’s that pushing to herd immunity at a 0.4% mortality rate is nearly 1M Americans dead. Is that what we are doing?

Question for the people that actually know what they are talking about on this thread. My gym that holds HIIT classes is reopening next week with limited class sizes so that you can social distance, have cut the class time down to 30 minutes, will be taking temperature at the door (I know, doesn't catch asymptomatics), and has an air purifier system that they claim kills viruses https://www.airoasis.com/ionic-air-purifiers/#anchor2a. Given these precautions, is it safe for me to go to the gym for these types of classes and is it any less safe than going to the grocery store at this point with half the people not wearing masks anyway?

Depends on whether you have a preexisting condition, where you live, the local active infection rate, and your aversion to risk among other factors. Those precautions are ok but a carrier could still theoretically get other people sick. High intensity workouts in a small space with a high occupancy seems risky. If the facility is a large open space with a reasonably controlled number of people, then that sounds less risky. Conclusion: Probably not recommended.

Damn near everything is 98% safe. Some stuff is less than that. Good luck.

Depends on whether you have a preexisting condition, where you live, the local active infection rate, and your aversion to risk among other factors. Those precautions are ok but a carrier could still theoretically get other people sick. High intensity workouts in a small space with a high occupancy seems risky. If the facility is a large open space with a reasonably controlled number of people, then that sounds less risky. Conclusion: Probably not recommended.
In charleston, sc and only around 500 known cases here and 11 deaths in the county of 411k people. Have had kidney stones, but haven't found any research showing that would be something that could cause an adverse reaction like with diabetes or immunocompromised people. I guess my question is more around will that air oasis machine improve air quality enough to render coronavirus air particles useless should an asymptomatic person be spreading it unknowingly through their heavy breathing. Also, is 30 minutes in a room with an asymptomatic person where you aren't in close contact even enough time for it to be a problem?

I get that much of this is spread from asymptomatic people based on what has happened with the church choir in WA, a funeral in GA, and people in office or conference spaces for hours at a time, but most of that happened early on before social distancing was a thing and these people were breathing the same air much longer than 30 minutes. The answer to my question may be somewhat unknown at this point, but just trying to gauge the chances of getting it from a 30 minute workout with possibly asymptomatic people where the aforementioned precautions are being taken.

What do you think we should do 2and2? I’m eager to hear.

When should we reopen? How should we do it? How do we get people to trust that they won’t get COVID (which is what is needed for a lot of businesses to stay afloat, not just being open)?

The same thing I said the other day. You don't need people to trust that they won't get Covid, you need people to trust that they won't die from it, which 99.9+% of the non-elderly population won't. We know that it can extensively kill old people and those with preexisting conditions, but it doesn't do much to everyone else relative to other risks of life.

So the older population and those with pre-existing conditions continue to isolate, especially extremely strict precautions on visitation and workers at nursing homes. Business as usual for everyone else, let it circulate and get the herd immunity up with minimal collateral damage. It doesn't like heat and UV light; go outside.

You like to use science as some sort of boogeyman, but not use science to guide risk assessment. It doesn't make much sense. With the benefit of hindsight we should follow a stricter version of the Florida process: nursing home precautions but wide open elsewhere (2,150 deaths : 21.5 million people), as opposed to the NY process: halfassed commie communal HVAC lockdown everywhere (23,300 deaths : 19.5 million people).

i'm no epidemiologist, but there does seem to be one major difference between "Florida" and "New York City"

You've never heard of sepsis? Yet you come on here and lecture people about infectious diseases? This guy...

Nope, never heard of it. But then again, I don't spend my days fretting over statistically insignificant ways that I could die.

i'm no epidemiologist, but there does seem to be one major difference between "Florida" and "New York City"

Yes, and that major difference exists between the rest of the country and NYC as well. NYC is the exception, not the norm, yet everyone is cowering in fear thinking that the exception is the norm.

Nope, never heard of it. But then again, I don't spend my days fretting over statistically insignificant ways that I could die.

This thread is literally just you spending your days fretting over “statistically insignificant” ways that you could die.

In my opinion, your risk here is the exercise part. That aerosolizes virus much more than non-exercise. Exercising in a room with others for 30 minutes is probably not a great idea - I recommend exercising outside.

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-05-22-20-intl/index.html

I mean, you have to feel pretty sanguine based on those estimates, don't you? Especially the 49 and under crowd?

That page seems to be constantly updating, so I'm not sure what article was cited. In general, in the US the numbers for all infected individuals are going to be: 1% will die, 5% will be critically ill, and 15% will be severely ill, with the elderly being much more affected than younger individuals.

This thread is literally just you spending your days fretting over “statistically insignificant” ways that you could die.

No, it is me fretting over the nonsensical societal and media reactions to said statistically insignificant ways that I could die. I've been pretty adamant from the jump that I'm likely not going to die from this.

Back