• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

In my opinion, your risk here is the exercise part. That aerosolizes virus much more than non-exercise. Exercising in a room with others for 30 minutes is probably not a great idea - I recommend exercising outside.

Hugging and puffing six feet away from someone else who is using up their lung capacity just seems like a bad idea.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. Think I will wait a week or two before going back and see what happens as that should be enough time to determine if their measures are working and whether the air ionizing system is actually doing anything. One thing they mentioned is that staff/instructors will wear masks and members can wear masks if they want but I'm not sure how easy it would be to do an intense workout with a mask on and would need to remove it to drink water anyway from time to time.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. Think I will wait a week or two before going back and see what happens as that should be enough time to determine if their measures are working and whether the air ionizing system is actually doing anything. One thing they mentioned is that staff/instructors will wear masks and members can wear masks if they want but I'm not sure how easy it would be to do an intense workout with a mask on and would need to remove it to drink water anyway from time to time.

yeah exercising outside seems like a better move

WTF is happening at the CDC. These numbers are wildly out of line with the current best available evidence.

Getting that political treatment like everything this administration does. I think the model is correct but the input assumptions are wrong because of this tacked on at the end, which only refers to mean number of days death to reporting, ** Estimates only include death dates between March 1, 2020 – March 31, 2020 to ensure sufficient time for reporting., so without saying it in big bold letters basically everything presented appears to be modeled off of March 1st to 31st where deaths were less than 6,000. Just bad data to use.

I miss when government institutions served the country instead of serving the President.

Non-politically speaking of course.

Question for the people that actually know what they are talking about on this thread. My gym that holds HIIT classes is reopening next week with limited class sizes so that you can social distance, have cut the class time down to 30 minutes, will be taking temperature at the door (I know, doesn't catch asymptomatics), and has an air purifier system that they claim kills viruses https://www.airoasis.com/ionic-air-purifiers/#anchor2a. Given these precautions, is it safe for me to go to the gym for these types of classes and is it any less safe than going to the grocery store at this point with half the people not wearing masks anyway?

HARD no. Seriously. No way. Way too much heavy mouth breathing going on in an enclosed space near others. The changes they've made are certainly better than doing nothing, but I won't be doing any indoor group classes for a very long time. It's just not worth the risk to others.

WTF is happening at the CDC. These numbers are wildly out of line with the current best available evidence.

I need to find the studies that support this, but those severity stats are really, really, crazy low.

Also if you are confused by some of the super low numbers also without saying it directly in pretty sure it’s the common epi incident rate so everything is per 100,000 population, so it’s not percentage and needs to be multiplied by 100,000 for the actual raw number.

Getting that political treatment like everything this administration does. I think the model is correct but the input assumptions are wrong because of this tacked on at the end, which only refers to mean number of days death to reporting, ** Estimates only include death dates between March 1, 2020 – March 31, 2020 to ensure sufficient time for reporting., so without saying it in big bold letters basically everything presented appears to be modeled off of March 1st to 31st where deaths were less than 6,000. Just bad data to use.

Parameter values based on data through 4/29/20 tho

Just call me RJ because I can tell you one place I’m not going any time soon, the fucking dentist.

See, this is the problem with today's society. You present yourself as an "expert" in the risks of the current pandemic, yet you are actually an idiot.

From the CDC just three days ago:

To date in the United States, clusters of healthcare personnel who have tested positive for COVID-19 have been identified in hospital settings and long-term care facilities, but no clusters have yet been reported in dental settings or among DHCP
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/dental-settings.html

And why do you think that is? It is because, before this outbreak was sensationalized, dentists already utilized all of the PPE much more than any other routine medical providers. When you went to the emergency room before this, did the healthcare workers wear masks, face shields, gowns, gloves, have UV sterilizers and respiratory filters in every exam room? Maybe in actual surgery but not normal routine exams. But you go to get your teeth cleaned and everyone is geared up. That is why the hospitals were asking the dental offices for PPE when this first started.

But this is a synopsis of where society is at with misinformation. The "experts" have no common sense and are simply out to sensationalize the info in a vacuum to self-validate their alleged expertise without regard to how things exist in the real world.

I went to the dentist two weeks ago. I have no idea what the hygienist looked like. She was so wrapped up head to toe in PPE.

Back