• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

105K dead is a "milkwich", got it.

We are also basically just reopening the country again when nothing has changed. The virus doesn't give a damn about whether or not we think it is still as dangerous.

There's more testing, which is nice, but does anybody feel safe enough to go eat in a restaurant, go to a bar, or spend all day in cubicles with 75 other people?

South Carolina looks like it's very much headed in the wrong direction, which isn't surprising given what I saw last week in Charleston and Myrtle.

I've eaten in a restaurant 6 times in the last week. 3 times out on the patio and 3 times inside with not many other people there. Again, science says 99.9+% recovery rate for my demo. We don't have a vaccine and it will be years before a trustworthy one is available. Unless you plan to self-isolate for the next several years, the best thing to do is get it over with and build up the herd immunity.

I've eaten in a restaurant 6 times in the last week. 3 times out on the patio and 3 times inside with not many other people there. Again, science says 99.9+% recovery rate for my demo. We don't have a vaccine and it will be years before a trustworthy one is available. Unless you plan to self-isolate for the next several years, the best thing to do is get it over with and build up the herd immunity.

For the love of god stop talking about YOUR recovery rate for YOUR demo. I care about spreading it to people who do not have that same immunity. Or giving it to somebody who then gives it to somebody without a good immune system.

It's not about you at all.

We are very far away from herd immunity, and if everybody heeded your advice to "get it over with and build up the herd immunity" it would drastically overwhelm hospitals, which is what we are trying to avoid.

Nothing substantial has changed since we first learned about this. It's crazy to me how many people are just buying into the "well it's been three months of flattening the curve, so time to get back out there". It's unbelievably irresponsible rhetoric, and people like you eat it up.

No, it is about the recovery rate for my demo. Because the faster we can run through it, then the faster those without the same immunity can emerge from their justifiable self-isolation. What is your alternative? And not some theoretical bullshit that isn't going to happen. Recognizing the combined stupidity of our leadership and our general population, what is your actual alternative?

No, it is about the recovery rate for my demo. Because the faster we can run through it, then the faster those without the same immunity can emerge from their justifiable self-isolation. What is your alternative? And not some theoretical bullshit that isn't going to happen. Recognizing the combined stupidity of our leadership and our general population, what is your actual alternative?

Ramp up testing and contact tracing to a point where we can actually feel comfortable about how to manage it/go back to work in waves.

What you are suggesting ("everybody get out there and get it over with") will 100% kill a large number of Americans by the time we reach herd immunity.

I have laid out several times on this thread what we should be doing as a nation, and what it will take for me to feel comfortable in getting back out there and living a normal live.

Even then, there is a good chance that we will not be back to "normal" for several years.

2&2 basically keeps asking what happens if we do nothing and he’s not satisfied with the answer.

2&2 basically keeps asking what happens if we do nothing and he’s not satisfied with the answer.

I don't know how else I can say "I don't know the exact number of people who will die if we just shoot for herd immunity right now, but it will be very high (as in a million+ deaths of Americans)."

Ramp up testing and contact tracing to a point where we can actually feel comfortable about how to manage it/go back to work in waves.

What you are suggesting ("everybody get out there and get it over with") will 100% kill a large number of Americans by the time we reach herd immunity.

I have laid out several times on this thread what we should be doing as a nation, and what it will take for me to feel comfortable in getting back out there and living a normal live.

Even then, there is a good chance that we will not be back to "normal" for several years.

Again, what is your actual alternative? You can keep saying the theoretical testing/tracing scenario, but it is not going to happen, again because of the stupidity of our leadership and population. So what is your actual alternative?

Again, what is your actual alternative? You can keep saying the theoretical testing/tracing scenario, but it is not going to happen, again because of the stupidity of our leadership and population. So what is your actual alternative?

I've stated my alternative. If the government cannot figure out how to do this (like many, many other countries have, even taking into consideration that we have a lot of people here), then we have the choice to do what you suggest, where a ton of people needlessly die, or we can continue to stay pretty much locked down until a vaccine is widespread enough to get people back out there.

You don't like that answer, but it's the reality of the situation.

If you think the right answer is "just get back out there now" then say that, and that you believe it's "worth" having a lot of people die over the next few months because the economy is more important than that.

Also, we can pretty much just say that America is nowhere near the superpower that we think it is if we can't figure this out. With all of our medical and logistical resources in the country we have been brought to our knees by a pandemic and don't have the capability to handle it.

We rank 35th in the world in per capita testing. I would have hoped beforehand if we were presented that then we would be very much towards the top. We are a middling country when it comes to this and that's showing now.

But we are doing close to nothing on top of shutting down the economy. Yeah Trump's totally fucked this whole thing up but the country can't operate at 15% to 20% unemployment forever. Wash your hands, wear a mask, socially distance, stay home as much as you can, quarrantine yourself when necessary. 35% of deaths in the US have still been in the NYC metro area. Being careful is going to keep the vast majority of the population safe.

But we are doing close to nothing on top of shutting down the economy. Yeah Trump's totally fucked this whole thing up but the country can't operate at 15% to 20% unemployment forever. Wash your hands, wear a mask, socially distance, stay home as much as you can, quarrantine yourself when necessary. 35% of deaths in the US have still been in the NYC metro area. Being careful is going to keep the vast majority of the population safe.

We've had this discussion on the thread already - we have actually been better as a nation as far as not going out there than I would have thought. If we are operating at, let's say 25-30% as far as exposure goes compared to where we normally would be with 100K deaths, then I don't think getting up to 50%+ right now is going to look very good at all.

I agree that some of the things you have listed will certainly mitigate the spread, the question is how much does it, and how many deaths that will result in.

I've said repeatedly that those who are high risk should continue to self isolate. But everyone else should not. The virus drives the percentage, the percentage does not drive the virus. So isolate the high risk to get them out of the equation, and let the recovery percentage go from 99.9% to 99.99% as the herd immunity grows.

Or otherwise, as you suggest continue to keep everyone locked down, unemployed, and stir crazy and get what we've seen over the past week continue to escalate.

We've had this discussion on the thread already - we have actually been better as a nation as far as not going out there than I would have thought. If we are operating at, let's say 25-30% as far as exposure goes compared to where we normally would be with 100K deaths, then I don't think getting up to 50%+ right now is going to look very good at all.

I agree that some of the things you have listed will certainly mitigate the spread, the question is how much does it, and how many deaths that will result in.

Well, people are going out so we just have to take whatever steps we can to mitigate the risk to ourselves and others. Policy and patience have failed in a lot of places for a lot of reasons. Get pragmatic. Assess your personal apetite for risk and move forward accordingly.

I've got the POTUS and the RNC trying to bully my home city and state to allow a free for all at the convention. I don't care if they come of not because I'm going to stay the hell away from it.

Yeah I mean at the end of the day it comes down to personal responsibility. That's why it's helpful and very important for people to know exactly what they are dealing with.

It has just been a complete failure of governance to not get the testing/tracing that is needed. We knew this from day one and still failed immensely.

I've stated my alternative. If the government cannot figure out how to do this (like many, many other countries have, even taking into consideration that we have a lot of people here), then we have the choice to do what you suggest, where a ton of people needlessly die, or we can continue to stay pretty much locked down until a vaccine is widespread enough to get people back out there.

You don't like that answer, but it's the reality of the situation.

If you think the right answer is "just get back out there now" then say that, and that you believe it's "worth" having a lot of people die over the next few months because the economy is more important than that.

Also, we can pretty much just say that America is nowhere near the superpower that we think it is if we can't figure this out. With all of our medical and logistical resources in the country we have been brought to our knees by a pandemic and don't have the capability to handle it.

We rank 35th in the world in per capita testing. I would have hoped beforehand if we were presented that then we would be very much towards the top. We are a middling country when it comes to this and that's showing now.

Another possible solution is that we get home testing kits. This could come a fair amount sooner than a vaccine. It would allow parents to swab the mouths of their children every day before school, for example, so they know if they can safely attend that day.

I've said repeatedly that those who are high risk should continue to self isolate. But everyone else should not. The virus drives the percentage, the percentage does not drive the virus. So isolate the high risk to get them out of the equation, and let the recovery percentage go from 99.9% to 99.99% as the herd immunity grows.

Only isolating those at high risk is not, by itself, a practical solution. The young employees at nursing homes have children that attend school, so even if the nursing home isolates, and the nursing home employees isolate, if schools open back up it will still rather quickly spread to nursing homes.

Or otherwise, as you suggest continue to keep everyone locked down, unemployed, and stir crazy and get what we've seen over the past week continue to escalate.

Do you know how long herd immunity will take in a country of 350 million people spread out the way we are? We are talking several years. How do you isolate seniors and those in high risk categories for that long? What about the people who need to care for them? What about the families of the caregivers? That isn't even getting to the human nature aspect of it. How do you tell a grandparent that they aren't allowed to see their grandchild grow up? Or that someone can't go see their mother with dementia because of the lockdown? What about seniors that still work because they don't have any other option? How many people are going to willingly self-isolate for years, even knowing they are high risk? I can already tell you that answer, and you know it too.

Back