• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

Look we know that 2and2 thinks we should just open up and "those at risk should just stay home". He either doesn't understand how society works as a whole with regards to care for the elderly, or knows this and just doesn't care.

There are a ton of people out there who do not value elderly lives as much as people living in their prime/kids. Most just don't say it out loud.

2&2’s “solutions” always involve imposing restrictions on folks that aren’t him. Do you at least wear a mask 2&2 or do you think they’re worthless because you feel fine?

How are the hospitalizations in Forsyth looking Rafi?

Not great. There was a rise in hospitalizations over the past two weeks, but fortunately that has plateaued some over the past few days.

The core of an economy is healthy people confident in participating in society.

There is no bringing the economy back without addressing the underlying health crisis.

I just don’t see how people can imagine this roaring economy in which we reach herd immunity within the next 8-12 months.

Such an economy would force people out of their homes and masks at the risk of contracting a disease that would force some to be hospitalized for long stretches of time, permanent problems for others, and death for a few. The economy couldn’t handle all of that disruption.

Do you know how long herd immunity will take in a country of 350 million people spread out the way we are? We are talking several years. How do you isolate seniors and those in high risk categories for that long? What about the people who need to care for them? What about the families of the caregivers? That isn't even getting to the human nature aspect of it. How do you tell a grandparent that they aren't allowed to see their grandchild grow up? Or that someone can't go see their mother with dementia because of the lockdown? What about seniors that still work because they don't have any other option? How many people are going to willingly self-isolate for years, even knowing they are high risk? I can already tell you that answer, and you know it too.

You are making my point for me. Again, what is the actual alternative that does not involve said grandparent not seeing the grandchild?

I am wearing a mask, not because I think I'm going to get terribly sick, but a) to make sure if i'm carrying something i don't pass it on (i.e. i don't want to BE a dick) and b) because i don't want to LOOK LIKE a dick.

You are making my point for me. Again, what is the actual alternative that does not involve said grandparent not seeing the grandchild?

How does getting out there with few to no precautions help out? Herd immunity is years away, even with an effective vaccine. Significantly longer without one. And that is assuming that you can only get it once, which I don't think has been confirmed to this point. The only answer is testing and tracking. Until we have those, there are no viable alternatives for opening things back up. But acting like we can just lock all high risk patients in a vault and everyone else can go back to business as usual is not only dangerous but foolish and callous as well.

This adds an interesting wrinkle to the 2&2 galaxy brain:

Who does 2&2 want to kill more: his family or his in-laws?

I mean how quickly do you think we reach herd immunity 2and2? I think a vaccine will happen before herd immunity.

I mean how quickly do you think we reach herd immunity 2and2? I think a vaccine will happen before herd immunity.

2&2 has reached herd immunity from his pregnant employees returning to work for him.

How does getting out there with few to no precautions help out? Herd immunity is years away, even with an effective vaccine. Significantly longer without one. And that is assuming that you can only get it once, which I don't think has been confirmed to this point. The only answer is testing and tracking. Until we have those, there are no viable alternatives for opening things back up. But acting like we can just lock all high risk patients in a vault and everyone else can go back to business as usual is not only dangerous but foolish and callous as well.

You can say it is "the only answer", but, again, it is not happening and not going to happen. So if you are waiting on that then you are never seeing grandma again. So what is the actual alternative?

See this I can potentially get behind as a solution. But how long do you realistically think it will be before we have a vaccine that you are actually willing to take? Months? Years? As I said before, I'm taking my chances with the virus over the first few iterations of this administration's vaccine before they get it right.

And to answer your question, we'd be there a hell of a lot quicker if we didn't have this half-assed lockdown of the people who won't be affected by it.

You can say it is "the only answer", but, again, it is not happening and not going to happen. So if you are waiting on that then you are never seeing grandma again. So what is the actual alternative?

How many times are you going to ask this?

An answer has been provided, you just disagree with it.

See this I can potentially get behind as a solution. But how long do you realistically think it will be before we have a vaccine that you are actually willing to take? Months? Years? As I said before, I'm taking my chances with the virus over the first few iterations of this administration's vaccine before they get it right.

And to answer your question, we'd be there a hell of a lot quicker if we didn't have this half-assed lockdown of the people who won't be affected by it.

Once again - this "half-assed lockdown" is to prevent overwhelming of hospitals.

How many times are you going to ask this?

An answer has been provided, you just disagree with it.

I don't disagree with the concept of it, I disagree that it has any actual chance of happening. But continue to shelter in place waiting for the Tooth Fairy to bring it to you.

The solution is out there and it doesn't need to be total lockdown, while we were on total lockdown we should have pushed towards that solution but per usual this country is full of dumb as shit people and I got mine fuck you and fuck your feelings mentality. If you don't like lockdowns which work, you don't like contact tracing which works, go with everyone where masks, no closed spaces, no large crowds, no close contact settings and you can be Japan. Instead we can't even do that, and it starts with lack of leadership and politicizing even wearing masks, like what the fuck its the simplest thing and the most minor of inconvenience but selfish fuck sticks can't even do that. So we will continue to just have a long slow smoldering burn of cases, thousands more will die, half ass measures continue, the economy struggles, and around and around we go as the rest of the world figures it out.

What exactly do you think herd immunity is? Because it has nothing to do with changing the recovery rate.

Oh it absolutely does, if you do it correctly. If the vulnerable isolate so that they have no contact with the virus, then you let the virus run through the non-vulnerable who recover from it. Then when you reintroduce the vulnerable they don't get it because it has already run its course from the non-vulnerable. So your overall recovery rate increases because those who were going to recover are going to recover, and those who weren't going to recover don't get it.

I know math is hard, but you are reducing your denominator while your numerator remains constant, which increases the percentage.

Back