• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

Glad to hear you are feeling better. I don't say this to alarm you, but sometimes the symptoms return. You are likely in the clear, but I just mention that in case symptoms return after improving for a few days.

giphy.gif

Glad to hear you are feeling better. I don't say this to alarm you, but sometimes the symptoms return. You are likely in the clear, but I just mention that in case symptoms return after improving for a few days.

I bet he did some research once he got it, if he hadn't beforehand when it was the only thing happening for 2 months

I bet he did some research once he got it, if he hadn't beforehand when it was the only thing happening for 2 months

Probably so. But he reported he was feeling better than ever and was now just going to wait for antibodies to develop. And he’s right that’s usually the trajectory, but I personally know several patients that completely recovered and then had relapses of symptoms. There has been a lot written about testing positive after previously “clearing” the infection, but I haven’t seen as much written about the fluctuation of symptoms. Just trying to provide some clinical perspective.

Probably so. But he reported he was feeling better than ever and was now just going to wait for antibodies to develop. And he’s right that’s usually the trajectory, but I personally know several patients that completely recovered and then had relapses of symptoms. There has been a lot written about testing positive after previously “clearing” the infection, but I haven’t seen as much written about the fluctuation of symptoms. Just trying to provide some clinical perspective.

I've been doing some research on post-COVID patients since I will probably see them in rehab at some point. It seems like a lot of the patient presentations are similar to what we would see with Post Intensive Care Syndrome, ICU Acquired Weakness, and Critical Illness Myopathy. Wondering if you have seen something similar

I've been doing some research on post-COVID patients since I will probably see them in rehab at some point. It seems like a lot of the patient presentations are similar to what we would see with Post Intensive Care Syndrome, ICU Acquired Weakness, and Critical Illness Myopathy. Wondering if you have seen something similar

Certainly some COVID patients spend weeks in the ICU, so they are at extremely high risk for ICU acquired weakness. In addition, there are a fair number of reports of Guillain-Barre and other polyradiculopathies with COVID, perhaps more than we might expect with other viral infections. That does make me wonder if COVID has more of an affinity for the nervous system than other viruses. There is not much direct muscle involvement with COVID.

A couple I know in the Austin area (Lago Vista) ended up in ICU with the virus. The wife got out in about a week; husband was on a vent for 12 days and spent an additional two weeks in ICU and three weeks in a rehab hospital. They're in their mid-late 60's.

No, none of the people I contacted have any symptoms. That's not saying I didn't get it from one of them tho. I went out to a little outdoor dockside restaurant right by my house Thursday night thinking that is the most likely spot. Although nobody else seemed to get it.
Grocery store?

Grocery store?

I do curbside pickup, so hadn’t been in. Also on Friday I went to a gas station and didn’t have my hand sanitizer on me, so I raw dogged the gas pump handle. I was thinking that was a possibility as well.

Glad Catamount feels better, can we get back to Rafi obliterating 2and2's comical knowledge of medicine (non-politically of course).

He really is a perfect example of somebody who has no idea what they are talking about just yelling at the top of his lungs for everyone to hear. It's a common occurrence for almost all of his opinions, which is fine when they are opinions, but when he is on a thread full of doctors who are treating/around the disease, he just sounds like a complete and utter moron.

I do curbside pickup, so hadn’t been in. Also on Friday I went to a gas station and didn’t have my hand sanitizer on me, so I raw dogged the gas pump handle. I was thinking that was a possibility as well.

From everything I have read it is extremely difficult to catch it from touching something like a gas pump.

just spray some gas on your hand when you're done. #protip

Looks like NC is over 80% capacity in total and ICU beds across the state.

Cases surging in NC and SC. Will be interesting to see if either governor slows down the reopening. Guessing that's unlikely at this point.

Looks like NC is over 80% capacity in total and ICU beds across the state.

Cases surging in NC and SC. Will be interesting to see if either governor slows down the reopening. Guessing that's unlikely at this point.

The high temps should help us with reduced transmission. No idea if that mitigates the crowds at the protests.

The high temps should help us with reduced transmission. No idea if that mitigates the crowds at the protests.

I’d like to think so, but Mexico and Brazil are hot spots, so temperature might not have a big effect.

Back