• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

It's pretty incredible to see the exponential spike in these numbers and the blasé response from state and federal leadership.

The number of additional people who will die or have serious long term complications as a result of a bunch of people refusing to wear a mask in public and stay a little farther from people is just disgusting to think about.

104319687_10221228470155330_7468633159663867351_n.jpg

My opinion of society was pretty low already, this pandemic has totally tanked it.

Nearly all businesses are wearing masks around here. For lunch, we stopped by the bagel shop, and nobody was wearing a mask, which was a little off putting.

I don't think I'll be going back soon, no matter how good my lox and cream cheese on everything was.

Yeah businesses here are good at self regulating it seems. Nobody let’s you in anywhere without a mask on and Governor Baker delayed full phase two implementation which included indoor restaurant seating after he saw the numbers in other states.

From pictures I’ve seen from states that have partially or fully reopened, people are...not self-regulating at all. If you’re not wearing masks when you go out and maintaining social distancing guidelines you’re just an idiot

to be fair, most of the pictures you're seeing are probably when someone wants to make a point that people aren't wearing masks. At the HT in cotswold (charlotte), i'd say it 90% mask wearers.

This chart just pisses me off. What could have been.
13f120c8c10399061a4b5f5a8333cd1c.jpg

to be fair, most of the pictures you're seeing are probably when someone wants to make a point that people aren't wearing masks. At the HT in cotswold (charlotte), i'd say it 90% mask wearers.

I mean the data backs up that people aren't wearing masks or social distancing. Just look at what IO Just posted.

I agree some of it is definitely picking and choosing, but we are nowhere near where we have to be as a society as far as wearing masks or avoiding bars/hotspots as we need to be to bring this thing under an R of 1 across the nation.

We just paid $100 for a full year of the HT pickup option (unlimited). Makes so much sense and we have 3 HTs somehow within 3 miles of our house so we always have pickup options. Saves so much time and frustration not going to the store plus the obvious safety aspect.

We just paid $100 for a full year of the HT pickup option (unlimited). Makes so much sense and we have 3 HTs somehow within 3 miles of our house so we always have pickup options. Saves so much time and frustration not going to the store plus the obvious safety aspect.

I tried in-store pickup at the local Kroger back in April, and it was a miserable failure. Had to do it a week ahead of time, and they were out of about a third of the items on my list. It looks like the week wait time is gone, but meal planning is effectively impossible if they can't keep track of the things they run out of (and I don't see how any supermarket can).

Half my shopping nowadays is figuring out substitutes or different recipes on the fly when certain things are gone. Not to mention picking up things not on the list that happen to be on sale but I’ll need in two weeks.

It really is. There are times when individualism needs to take a backseat to the collective good, and this is one of them. There is no "right" not to wear a mask, and arguments about "personal freedom" ring hollow when we all know that wearing masks is more about protecting other people. If we aren't going to do it individually--and we aren't--then we need legislation mandating it.

Enforcement of that legislation would just target the same groups hit hardest by the virus already.

They wouldn’t go into Chez Fancy and lock up the owners if the tables aren’t far enough.

This is what the elites wanted. This is what those AstroTurf protests were about.

I think people just assumed that would happen here without putting in the work to make it happen.

Enforcement of that legislation would just target the same groups hit hardest by the virus already.

They wouldn’t go into Chez Fancy and lock up the owners if the tables aren’t far enough.

This is what the elites wanted. This is what those AstroTurf protests were about.

I think people just assumed that would happen here without putting in the work to make it happen.

You are probably correct, but the biggest story in regards to social distancing/masks/enforcement in NC is the little racetrack outside of Burlington, NC. Hardly Chez Fancy.

America is exceptional!

Interesting that making america great again is really a race to the bottom and those idiots don't even know it.

look, while i don't want to go all 2&2 on you, comparing America with those countries is like comparing apples and golf clubs. Europe is 4x more densely populated than the US, right? So compare Germany with New York and see what you get.

I agree that we can do better, but there is certainly some "security" in america from having more room to spread out, and people have behaved accordingly.

Diggler, is your point that the US lack of density lengthened the first wave?

look, while i don't want to go all 2&2 on you, comparing America with those countries is like comparing apples and golf clubs. Europe is 4x more densely populated than the US, right? So compare Germany with New York and see what you get.

I agree that we can do better, but there is certainly some "security" in america from having more room to spread out, and people have behaved accordingly.

so.... shouldn't we be doing better, in that case?

Diggler, is your point that the US lack of density lengthened the first wave?

Moreso that the US lack of homogeneity means you have a whole bunch of different waves out there. The NY wave is very different from the NC wave.

Back