• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

Some time around the 20th of February, near when we got that little bit of snow, I developed a not terrible sore throat, had a dry cough, and was doing the body temp fluctuation thing for three or so days, but mostly at night. I left work early one day, but it was the weekend, so I was back Monday. I guess I wouldn't be shocked if it had already worked its way through here with less intensity, we just didn't really know it. I don't know if that's possible at all. It could have just been a cold or some quicker viral thing. I was definitely sicker over Christmas for a couple of days, but this felt just a different kind of weird.

Princess cruises suspended their entire fleet this morning.
The cruise lines really should have been dry docked first thing.
They're notorious for diseases that have vaccines spreading anyway. Now there's a brand new one which no one anywhere has immune defenses against? Let em sail around!!

Some time around the 20th of February, near when we got that little bit of snow, I developed a not terrible sore throat, had a dry cough, and was doing the body temp fluctuation thing for three or so days, but mostly at night. I left work early one day, but it was the weekend, so I was back Monday. I guess I wouldn't be shocked if it had already worked its way through here with less intensity, we just didn't really know it. I don't know if that's possible at all. It could have just been a cold or some quicker viral thing. I was definitely sicker over Christmas for a couple of days, but this felt just a different kind of weird.

Sounds great but I think that's wishful thinking.

Work just announced optional telework starting Monday for the next three weeks. I'm betting a lot of people (including me) will say fuck it and start tomorrow.

That underscores just how ignorant humans are.
Brand new disease and no one on earth has immunity in any capacity yet people have been joking about for months.
Sure memes, internet celebrities, and idiot politicians know more than scientists.

/shrugs

This isn't isolated to just COVID. The fact that "elite" is used as an insult speaks volumes about the rejection of expertise that directly results in an increase in preventable disruptions we now constantly face.

This isn't isolated to just COVID. The fact that "elite" is used as an insult speaks volumes about the rejection of expertise that directly results in an increase in preventable disruptions we now constantly face.
Yep. It is absolutely not a joke to state we have been getting dumber at a constant rate since the end of the 1960s, 1980s at the latest.
The willful chosen preference for rejecting education and learning is not just confined to the West. It's global. That being said...
The irony that more and more of the globe is needing higher education for social economic advancement coinciding with this increasing rejection/downplaying of expertise/knowledge is outstanding.
It's going to have to come to a head if Humanity is to survive as a civilization.
Perhaps The Great Filter approaches.

Last edited:
College tournaments getting cancelled. The big tournament ain't happening now - just a matter of time. Have to think the NHL is next, with some kind of shortened MLB season on the way as well.

there's gonna be a period of real inconvenience, so let's just do it now and get it over with

I made the mistake of clicking on the Tunnels Coronavirus thread, in which every other post seems to be about Trump. All politics aside, is this thing as big of a deal as the media is making it out to be? It seems like a more contagious, slightly more powerful, but shorter, version of pneumonia. I'm not sure where that ranks on things to be worried about unless you are over 75 or so or have preexisting respiratory problems. That said, if it is more serious than that then we should definitely take it seriously - but it is difficult to know how much of what the media reports is actually concerning. This gives the smell of their typical pending milkwich snowstorm school closings that ends up being 45 degrees and sunny.

This aged poorly.

To be clear, like most 2&2 posts, it was a poor take when he posted it as well.

I mean, the facts have not changed that it is still akin to if not better than the flu for the vast majority of people, regardless of how people are responding to it.

2 people in Mecklenburg County tested positive. CMS incoming in 5, 4, 3....

Back