• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

Starting to hit close to home out in LA. We're down to like 3 people in the office and have been for months, but one of the security guards lives with her mom who came down with it. 105 fever and in ICU on Saturday, but home today so presumably better. Good friend of mine got it being stupid but still couldn't breathe one night and had to go to the ER, but cleared up the next day. A huge project of ours big skyscraper requires a final permit to go forward, yet the city permit dude in charge just died of COVID. Kinda slows things up.

I know it's small sample size deac, but even the "mild" cases I know required some sort of serious medical attention.

My dad has had it for the last 3 weeks (still positive but no symptoms anymore). He's 66 years old, so I was definitely nervous, but he never felt bad and had nothing worse than a very mild cough/headache. Got it on a golf trip with his bros. Feeling quite fortunate.

Fauci recently cited a study that explains that the reason some have only mild cases/symptoms is because they were exposed to other corona viruses and have T-cell memory to fight them. Glad your dad is one of these "mild cases."

*thinks back to every time I’ve had a cold the past decade hoping it was a coronavirus*

Its really hard to narrow down what causes a cold plus there is never really a good reason to dig to deep into it. Some say 10-20% of all colds are coronaviruses but im skeptical especially when playing the math odds. Coronavirus, 4 common types, adenovirus 50+ types, Rhino virus 150+ types, RSV, Parainfluenza, random unknown viruses, etc...

How do we go about best infecting ourselves with the non-lethal coronavirus to gain the T-cell memory? Are we back to licking airplane toilet seats?

How do we go about best infecting ourselves with the non-lethal coronavirus to gain the T-cell memory? Are we back to licking airplane toilet seats?

aside from the toilet licking part I think you're onto something. Just gimme dat old coronavirus right now and I'm good.

So given that I've spent two decades surrounded by disgusting ass teenagers, I've gotta be good, right?

Reported coronavirus deaths yesterday:
• France: 0
• United Kingdom: 0
• Canada: 4
• Germany: 6
• Italy: 6
• United States: 1,450

Just for example, I multiplied the German deaths by 4, since the US has 4 times the population and got 1,451.

And then I double-checked my math and got 24. But it’s because we do more testing.

Can anyone help me with the math for France or the UK?

Just for example, I multiplied the German deaths by 4, since the US has 4 times the population and got 1,451.

And then I double-checked my math and got 24. But it’s because we do more testing.

Can anyone help me with the math for France or the UK?

Can’t divide by 0 so relatively speaking the UK and France each had infinite mortalities yesterday.

What I want to know is how do these “countries” compare to New York (in April)?

Efn2Rs-WoAc1860

I'm sure everyone is shocked that UNC had to shutdown after a week of classes. Thank goodness they got those tuition checks before having to do it.

UNC played this perfectly to avoid law suits and keep all money. "We tried to open, but the students could not follow rules, Your Honor." First, they'll move to online classes; then, send students home and keep all housing and fees. Students were just kids being kids, but they got played doing so.

UNC did this with no plan. They didn't test incoming students and they didn't attempt to decrease student density. Both Wake and Duke are requiring all students to test prior to arriving on campus and they both have taken major steps to reduce density - Wake has 65% of the rooms now as singles, and Duke has spaced out to the Washington Duke hotel and other buildings. These plans still may not work, but they are much better than no plan at all.

Back