• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

It is pretty messed that those countries would institute curfews and tank their economies and the stock market just to make Trump look bad and lose the election.

It is pretty messed that those countries would institute curfews and tank their economies and the stock market just to make Trump look bad and lose the election.

Very unfair !

Germany and France announcing serious national lockdowns today. Obviously we won’t have a national mandate here (we are rounding the corner!) but a preview of where we are headed over the next few weeks. Expecting a dark winter as a country. Stay safe friends.

Wall Street Journal Op Ed this week by Scott Gottlieb of AEI called for a 2 month national mask mandate.

Wall Street Journal Op Ed this week by Scott Gottlieb of AEI called for a 2 month national mask mandate.

I had dinner and some social time with Scott Gottlieb a few months back out in Palo Alto. Honestly, chatting with him was fascinating and I judged him (whatever that's worth) as a super standup guy who does his research before speaking, really understands the national healthcare picture, and I definitely trust him.

Yeah one of my closest friends is a healthcare investor at the venture firm NEA where Gottlieb is a “special advisor” and has spent some time with him and has had good things to say.

Hopefully his article--and more voices like his from the right--can help to de-politicize mask wearing.

ETA -- I don't know how "right" he is, but AEI most certainly has a reputation of being conservative.

This was downtown Austin Saturday...... We fucked. RIP America.

vmfevooaiow51.jpg

Well the picture wont post, but moral of the story is 6th street was packed shoulder to shoulder for a half mile stretch of road.

More than 100k positives reported for the first time yesterday. Anyone care to speculate on when we see the first wave of new shutdowns in the US?

I had dinner and some social time with Scott Gottlieb a few months back out in Palo Alto. Honestly, chatting with him was fascinating and I judged him (whatever that's worth) as a super standup guy who does his research before speaking, really understands the national healthcare picture, and I definitely trust him.

That was pretty much the opinion of many who worked for him at Food and Drug. He had been the deputy under a commissioner who was pretty sleazy and corrupt. There were low expectations when Gottlieb was named Commissioner. However, he really listened to his scientific experts and carried their opinions into policy circles. He was regarded very favorably by the rank and file. They are not disposed to liking many commissioners.

see? not Trump's fault here since other countries can't contain their own.

Barcelona has really good mask etiquette, probably because it is required everywhere in Spain, except when working out. Went for a run yesterday (socially distanced) and jogged past some cops, they didn't care.

Last night at my hotel though, the Bartender was trying to get two guys to put their masks on as they walked around and they just kept repeating " No, its ok we're Brazilian." Truly is amazing how different places view this thing.

Pfizer indicates COVID-19 Vaccine is 90% Effective

BOOM! Great news! Not only do we have one trial with promising results, but we have other vaccines being developed that will likely be effective as well (most of them are targeting the same protein for immunity that this vaccine did). Pfizer CEO says most Americans will have an opportunity to be vaccinated with this by the end of the 2nd Quarter in 2021 and that it will be free to all Americans.

So, just like Trump said, we have a vaccine around election day.

Not a political statement, but we were supposed to have this info when they reached a level of 32 cases... Instead, they waited until there were 94 cases. So this info was likely withheld (by either PFE or the FDA) until after the election. PFE even perhaps lied on their recent conference call when they said they hadn't yet reached that 32 case threshold. We'll most certainly be hearing more about this over the next few days.

Obviously good news all around... Not saying it isn't.

Pfizer indicates COVID-19 Vaccine is 90% Effective

BOOM! Great news! Not only do we have one trial with promising results, but we have other vaccines being developed that will likely be effective as well (most of them are targeting the same protein for immunity that this vaccine did). Pfizer CEO says most Americans will have an opportunity to be vaccinated with this by the end of the 2nd Quarter in 2021 and that it will be free to all Americans.

I can verify that this thing in my body does, in fact, kick ass.

Back