Page 19 of 277 FirstFirst ... 914151617181920212223242969119 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceCrewAllStar View Post
    Donald Trumpís legacy was always going to be terrible, but this event may raise him to the status among the most evil to lead a nation in modern history
    Sounds a bit political to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DeacsPop View Post
    exactly

Donald Trumpís legacy was always going to be terrible, but this event may raise him to the status among the most evil to lead a nation in modern history
    Again, not the politics thread.

If you mean to lead any nation, I think you are sorely mistaken, regardless of how bad Trump is. If you are just referring to the US, I think Dick Cheney was potentially more evil, but he was also much more capable. Trump is not smart enough to be truly evil... he's just incredibly selfish and conceited.

Winston-Salem/Forsyth County schools have canceled all large group gatherings - proms, concerts, theater plays, etc. for the foreseeable future. Likely means seniors will graduate with no ceremony. The generally feeling is also that we will be closed beginning Monday and shift to online learning. Some schools have told teachers to take everything with them today that they need to continue teaching.

Quote Originally Posted by DeacsPop View Post
    Looks like someoneís catching feelings while the country catches this virus.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubble Boy View Post
    What are ESPN and the other sports channels going to show over the next few weeks? No sports to show or to talk about. Obviously that is low on the totem pole of important things right now, but it could be more than a month before the sports channels have something on that I want to see/hear.
    Same with the local sports networks. ESPN has a vault of archived games they can unlock, plus 30 for 30s, etc. I'm not sure the local affiliates can say the same thing.

How well equipped (or not) are most school districts to conduct online classes)? Iíd guess most have no real chance of that working

I'm still not sure what "distance learning" is. Live streaming classes? Recorded classes (video or audio)? Homework sent over email?

Or just - "Read Chapters 4-6 in the book and do problems 15-25 and send me the answers"?

What if people donít have Internet? Mail it in!

Primary OGB Benefactor
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakeforest22890 View Post
    Fax.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeforest22890 View Post
    City of Chicago is working with Comcast to provide free internet at doubled speeds to as many homes as possible

Quote Originally Posted by redwing42 View Post
    Again, not the politics thread.

If you mean to lead any nation, I think you are sorely mistaken, regardless of how bad Trump is. If you are just referring to the US, I think Dick Cheney was potentially more evil, but he was also much more capable. Trump is not smart enough to be truly evil... he's just incredibly selfish and conceited.
    different brands of evil

Banhammer'd
    Since there have been runs on toilet paper in many places, I wonder if there will be a run on corn on the cob next.

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    City of Chicago is working with Comcast to provide free internet at doubled speeds to as many homes as possible
    Amazing how quickly the private sector can move to do good things in times of crisis.

My school district still maintains that students are going back to school next Monday after Spring Break. They did announce a travel policy of self-quarantine after any out of country travel or cruises.

Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    Amazing how quickly the private sector can move to do good things in times of crisis.

My school district still maintains that students are going back to school next Monday after Spring Break. They did announce a travel policy of self-quarantine after any out of country travel or cruises.
    THIS IS THE NON-POLITICAL THREAD PH
    We're going to be good again.

Winston-Salem is doing the same, but with Verizon.

I can't speak for every district, but Winston is providing chromebooks to students who need it. We have online learning platforms already that the students have been using for years so there are things in place to make it work. But there are likely many districts not ready for this at all.

The expectation right now is that lessons are a mix of us recording content delivery and giving students assignments to show mastery of learning. We've been told to maintain rigor and be available to answer questions. Unfortunately, there will be teachers who do the "read and send me answers" route and do the bare minimum. I have no clue how testing will work; we don't have any way to do that right now in a secure manner nor have we been given guidance on how to do that.

Best part of the entire thing is the private sector showing what is arbitrary and what isnít about their service limits. Data caps atop the list.

Quote Originally Posted by DistrictDeacon View Post
    I'm still not sure what "distance learning" is. Live streaming classes? Recorded classes (video or audio)? Homework sent over email?

Or just - "Read Chapters 4-6 in the book and do problems 15-25 and send me the answers"?
    we'll all have a new appreciation for homeschoolers in a few weeks

Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post

My college did that for about 24 hours. Now its closed for preparation until the 20th, online starts the 23rd.

I assume most servers and other tipped professionals would get hurt by this and not benefit from the payroll tax holiday. Does that change tipping protocol? I feel like, as someone who would benefit, that I should be tipping much more.