• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

How well equipped (or not) are most school districts to conduct online classes)? I’d guess most have no real chance of that working

I'm still not sure what "distance learning" is. Live streaming classes? Recorded classes (video or audio)? Homework sent over email?

Or just - "Read Chapters 4-6 in the book and do problems 15-25 and send me the answers"?

Again, not the politics thread.

If you mean to lead any nation, I think you are sorely mistaken, regardless of how bad Trump is. If you are just referring to the US, I think Dick Cheney was potentially more evil, but he was also much more capable. Trump is not smart enough to be truly evil... he's just incredibly selfish and conceited.

different brands of evil

Since there have been runs on toilet paper in many places, I wonder if there will be a run on corn on the cob next.

City of Chicago is working with Comcast to provide free internet at doubled speeds to as many homes as possible

Amazing how quickly the private sector can move to do good things in times of crisis.

My school district still maintains that students are going back to school next Monday after Spring Break. They did announce a travel policy of self-quarantine after any out of country travel or cruises.

Amazing how quickly the private sector can move to do good things in times of crisis.

My school district still maintains that students are going back to school next Monday after Spring Break. They did announce a travel policy of self-quarantine after any out of country travel or cruises.

THIS IS THE NON-POLITICAL THREAD PH

City of Chicago is working with Comcast to provide free internet at doubled speeds to as many homes as possible
Winston-Salem is doing the same, but with Verizon.

I can't speak for every district, but Winston is providing chromebooks to students who need it. We have online learning platforms already that the students have been using for years so there are things in place to make it work. But there are likely many districts not ready for this at all.

The expectation right now is that lessons are a mix of us recording content delivery and giving students assignments to show mastery of learning. We've been told to maintain rigor and be available to answer questions. Unfortunately, there will be teachers who do the "read and send me answers" route and do the bare minimum. I have no clue how testing will work; we don't have any way to do that right now in a secure manner nor have we been given guidance on how to do that.

Best part of the entire thing is the private sector showing what is arbitrary and what isn’t about their service limits. Data caps atop the list.

I'm still not sure what "distance learning" is. Live streaming classes? Recorded classes (video or audio)? Homework sent over email?

Or just - "Read Chapters 4-6 in the book and do problems 15-25 and send me the answers"?

we'll all have a new appreciation for homeschoolers in a few weeks

My college did that for about 24 hours. Now its closed for preparation until the 20th, online starts the 23rd.

I assume most servers and other tipped professionals would get hurt by this and not benefit from the payroll tax holiday. Does that change tipping protocol? I feel like, as someone who would benefit, that I should be tipping much more.

most servers pay payroll tax on their tips up to a certain threshold i think.

Best part of the entire thing is the private sector showing what is arbitrary and what isn’t about their service limits. Data caps atop the list.

perhaps a positive result of the crisis is a new public imagination around what is feasible

we'll all have a new appreciation for homeschoolers in a few weeks

My MAGA lady homeschool neighbor volunteered to home school my kids if the school district closes.

Back