• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

Yo, 2&2 is clearly a shit head. Yes sending my kid to school was risky. I knew it at the time, weighed the risk and sent her anyway because keeping a 14 year old kid with significant mental health problems at home for 8 months also has significant risks. For us the short term risk of mental health collapse was greater that the short and long term risk of Covid. The problem I have here is that school attendance has elevated risk beyond what it needs to be because selfish people are still taking vacations and eating in restaurants etc. My kid with mental health problems needs to assume extra risk, beyond the baseline risk caused by essential activities like going to the grocery store, in order to go to school for desperately need socialization. It’s the Non-essential actions of healthy, wealthy people, engaging in luxurious activities (like vacations and restaurants), that are affecting the risk level and the health of the less wealthy and less healthy people, and that is some bullshit.

Also let’s be clear, getting on a message board and throwing shade and making snarky comments about other posters’ actions and words is not some kind of hysterical baseless rant displacing my own responsibility. It is what is and was what it was, a joke at scooter’s expense. The joke led to a wide discussion about who is responsible, what kind of behaviors are socially acceptable and risk analysis. Even if I take on an activity that I know is risky and the negative outcome occurs, I’m still allowed to make jokes about other people, especially when those other people are engaging in the kind of actions that made my already risky behavior unnecessarily riskier.

No, it is you being a fucking hypocrite. It is you prioritizing your kid's necessary socialization over the restaurant workers' or tourist-town employees' ability to earn enough to feed themselves and their families. You are criticizing others for acting selfishly, when you are acting in the exact same manner but are either too stupid or too narcissistic to see it.

As a teacher, I’m going to go ahead and say you have literally zero idea what you’re talking about in this post from an educational standpoint.

Assuming you are in the hybrid model, then as a parent, at this point I don't give a good God damn about the teachers' standpoint. Unlike everyone else who got an essential worker participation trophy and never stopped working or went back after a month or so, teachers had 5 months to prepare for this school year and still shat the bed, probably because they appeared to spend most of said 5 months trying to come up with ways not to go back to work. If the current bar of uselessness is the best that can be done under the current circumstances, especially at the younger grades, then that is fine and it is what it is, but acknowledge that this is a lost year simply treading water and serving as a part-time babysitting service so people can adjust their priorities and schedules accordingly. There is no reason for anyone to be held to this asinine school schedule with no positive educational benefit.

No, it is you being a fucking hypocrite. It is you prioritizing your kid's necessary socialization over the restaurant workers' or tourist-town employees' ability to earn enough to feed themselves and their families. You are criticizing others for acting selfishly, when you are acting in the exact same manner but are either too stupid or too narcissistic to see it.

Yeah, that’s right, I think other people’s money is less important my kid’s health, or like 350,000 people dying in 9 months. I am a stoopid, depraved, selfish, narcissistic hypocrite.

Assuming you are in the hybrid model, then as a parent, at this point I don't give a good God damn about the teachers' standpoint. Unlike everyone else who got an essential worker participation trophy and never stopped working or went back after a month or so, teachers had 5 months to prepare for this school year and still shat the bed, probably because they appeared to spend most of said 5 months trying to come up with ways not to go back to work. If the current bar of uselessness is the best that can be done under the current circumstances, especially at the younger grades, then that is fine and it is what it is, but acknowledge that this is a lost year simply treading water and serving as a part-time babysitting service so people can adjust their priorities and schedules accordingly. There is no reason for anyone to be held to this asinine school schedule with no positive educational benefit.

First, big guy, we never left work. We continued to work throughout the semester. I personally drove a bus and delivered meals daily to our free lunch students in between teaching at least 4 hours daily by Zoom as well as making home welfare checks to our at risk students and spending hours at night grading and answering phone calls and emails. Then I spent all summer in unpaid professional development and district level meetings trying to reinvent the fucking wheel and learn to teach effectively with half the in person instruction time and double the amount of time spent grading. Then My wife and I literally caught COVID from teaching and I watched her lay in bed for 4 days and continuously checking for signs of oxygen deprivation because she had so much difficulty breathing and trying to determine whether to take her to the ER. And then both of us went back to work teaching hybrid/remote learners while still being professionally graded on the same standard EOC exams despite the fact that we’re in the middle of a fucking pandemic. And my students have all had demonstrable growth throughout the semester, and I’ve been a bridge for a multitude of emotional and psychological issues for my kids during this pandemic. And I’ve yet to bitch about it, despite the fact that I occasionally have to deal with miserable unappreciative, unapologetically fucking stupid people like you that make the job so much more miserable. But it’s cool, because at the end of the day I know I check off a box towards the overall good. And I’m one teacher out of thousands in NC, and we all have similar experiences. In this, like just about everything else you choose to lend your ill informed perspective to, you have literally no clue.

First, big guy, we never left work. We continued to work throughout the semester. I personally drove a bus and delivered meals daily to our free lunch students in between teaching at least 4 hours daily by Zoom as well as making home welfare checks to our at risk students and spending hours at night grading and answering phone calls and emails. Then I spent all summer in unpaid professional development and district level meetings trying to reinvent the fucking wheel and learn to teach effectively with half the in person instruction time and double the amount of time spent grading. Then My wife and I literally caught COVID from teaching and I watched her lay in bed for 4 days and continuously checking for signs of oxygen deprivation because she had so much difficulty breathing and trying to determine whether to take her to the ER. And then both of us went back to work teaching hybrid/remote learners while still being professionally graded on the same standard EOC exams despite the fact that we’re in the middle of a fucking pandemic. And my students have all had demonstrable growth throughout the semester, and I’ve been a bridge for a multitude of emotional and psychological issues for my kids during this pandemic. And I’ve yet to bitch about it, despite the fact that I occasionally have to deal with miserable unappreciative, unapologetically fucking stupid people like you that make the job so much more miserable. But it’s cool, because at the end of the day I know I check off a box towards the overall good. And I’m one teacher out of thousands in NC, and we all have similar experiences. In this, like just about everything else you choose to lend your ill informed perspective to, you have literally no clue.

It sounds like you provided an incredible amount of support for a lot of kids, in a really tough situation. Well done. Really well done. My kids also had excellent teachers and have learned a lot during the virtual school year. Of course it wasn't ideal, but their teachers were clearly putting in a ton of work and I can tell my kids have had a good experience.

2&2, you are one miserable, and clueless, person.

Can't rep you at the moment mako but you and your mom are doing the lord's work during this pandemic. Selfish "gotcha assholes" that live in a different world than most have no idea what people are going through. If people like 2&2 had pulled up their pants and tightened their big boy/girl belts back in March then they could have taken their fucking vacation trips with friends now and 320k+ american would not be dead.

If you are ever in nova after this selfish induced bull shit is over the beer is on me.

Last edited:

OwlHpZD.gif

anyone know this asshole irl?

Does he just get his ass kicked all the time?

If your participation in society is more than zero, then you are on the same sliding scale that Catamount, Scoots, and I are on.

No one except for Bigfoot has zero participation in society for 9 months, and even he does Progressive commercials.

The question isn't whether you participate in society. It's whether your participation--which is necessary for survival--involves taking unreasonable risks. Going to a grocery store, with a mask on, to get food, for example, is not unreasonable. I personally use Instacart, but I view going to the grocery store as within the realm of reason because of the relatively low risk of transmission so long as appropriate measures are taken. There are grey areas, sure, but I would assume even you would agree that there are some behaviors that are patently unreasonable, like going to a packed concert without a mask, to use an example from this thread.

Accusing people of hypocrisy because they sent their kids to school is just a way for you to blur the line between socially responsible / irresponsible decisions to allow you to avoid taking responsibility for your own actions. If it's all just a sliding scale, and there's no demarcation point, then there's no real distinction between getting groceries from Instacart--which, after all, involves potentially breathing the delivery person's air and, potentially, putting a healthcare worker at risk or taking an ICU bed--on the one hand, and going to a packed concert, on the other. If no one has the right to complain, then you can do whatever you feel like doing, without even social reprisal.

Put simply, Governor Newsom, Dr. Birx, Governor Cuomo, et al., are hypocrites for doing exactly what they told us not to do, but people aren't hypocrites for sending their kids to school with the expectation that the school nurse won't be traipsing around the fucking Caribbean. This feels like is it so obvious nobody should have to say it.

Last edited:

When I tried to give you all the pos, it says "You must spread, like his mom." I guess that's a little the feature the MODS put in like [redacted].

No one except for Bigfoot has zero participation in society for 9 months, and even he does Progressive commercials.

The question isn't whether you participate in society. It's whether your participation--which is necessary for survival--involves taking unreasonable risks. Going to a grocery store, with a mask on, to get food, for example, is not unreasonable. I personally use Instacart, but I view going to the grocery store as within the realm of reason because of the relatively low risk of transmission so long as appropriate measures are taken. There are grey areas, sure, but I would assume even you would agree that there are some behaviors that are patently unreasonable, like going to a packed concert without a mask, to use an example from this thread.

Accusing people of hypocrisy because they sent their kids to school is just a way for you to blur the line between socially responsible / irresponsible decisions to allow you to avoid taking responsibility for your own actions. If it's all just a sliding scale, and there's no demarcation point, then there's no real distinction between getting groceries from Instacart--which, after all, involves potentially breathing the delivery person's air and, potentially, putting a healthcare worker at risk or taking an ICU bed--on the one hand, and going to a packed concert, on the other. If no one has the right to complain, then you can do whatever you feel like doing, without even social reprisal.

Put simply, Governor Newsom, Dr. Birx, Governor Cuomo, et al., are hypocrites for doing exactly what they told us not to do, but people aren't hypocrites for sending their kids to school with the expectation that the school nurse won't be traipsing around the fucking Caribbean. This feels like is it so obvious nobody should have to say it.

So, like, it would be hypocritical if I were to fly to Caribbean for Christmas vacation in the middle of a deadly pandemic after criticizing others for the same thing? Or if I criticized others for sending their kids to school while concurrently complaining about how bad the online education experience has been?

Here is what I find extra frustrating, sending my kid to school in person is just about the only risky thing we did. And we kept her home from August to October to see how the school would handle Covid out breaks and if they would take it seriously. We thought they were doing a good job but thanksgiving kind of overwhelmed the system. I haven’t been inside a store or a restaurant once since March, I’ve only socialized with friends 3 or 4 times since March and only out doors. I haven’t seen my elderly parents since summer of 2019 or my in-laws since New Years 2020. I’ve done a lot to minimize the chance that I would get it, or worse, unknowingly spread it to more vulnerable people. We created a really secure bubble only to get it inside the bubble anyway through a fairly essential activity of attending school. That’s really frustrating.

Back