• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

Kinda depends, like antibody cocktails and standard care are what they are now after a year. Definitely has led to a reduction in actual deaths in comparison to the beginning of the pandemic and those may be able to be improved here and there. As far as some magic compound or anti-viral that is essentially take this pill and you will be good, very doubtful. Anti-virals like that for any viral infection are like the holy grail and may not even exist. Essentially the by the time you know you are sick the viral load is in the billions and its just too damn late.

But they're killed by ultraviolet light, right ?

Meh, people think of things way too black and white with the vaccine. The unrealistic expectations were certainly raised because of the first two vaccines but the idea was never going to be eradication despite what people might have implied. Prevention of severe illness, hospitalizations and most important of all death was the number one concern. Variants were going to arise because of the high spread and global conditions, which means new variants were always going to be introduced to the United States.

Media hype and optimistic naive people- everyone in the US will get vaccinated and never need to think about coronaviruses again

Realistic- welcome to a new circulating virus that will never be fully controlled, will enter some type of seasonality like the flu, kill 30-40,000 in the US every year, you will get a covid vaccine to go with you yearly flu shot.

i think this is a good summary - but just getting to "it's like the flu" is a huge delta vs. where we currently are

I never thought about this til now, but how many versions of the flu vaccine are out there each year?

thanks -- never considered that there was more than one out there, to be honest

do savvy folks seek out certain vaccines in a given year based on research? or are they all pretty much the exact same?

I know when my wife and I got ours this past year we got different ones because we had different insurance companies

Kinda depends, like antibody cocktails and standard care are what they are now after a year. Definitely has led to a reduction in actual deaths in comparison to the beginning of the pandemic and those may be able to be improved here and there. As far as some magic compound or anti-viral that is essentially take this pill and you will be good, very doubtful. Anti-virals like that for any viral infection are like the holy grail and may not even exist. Essentially the by the time you know you are sick the viral load is in the billions and its just too damn late.

I'm also hoping that nurses and doctors will discover more as far as treating it in hospitals when they don't have to fear death, disease, or spreading it to their families as much now that they have some real protection.

thanks -- never considered that there was more than one out there, to be honest

do savvy folks seek out certain vaccines in a given year based on research? or are they all pretty much the exact same?

The strains of virus chosen as the targets are are the same three in the trivalent vaccines. The quadravalent vaccines all start with the same three and all add the same fourth target.

All the kids are really talented. More importantly they always seem to be having fun. All too often the parents take the fun away.

I suspect one of those children will end up becoming an enormous star in the future. This was just their first step.

The younger girl has "it". Her timing can't be taught.

The younger boy also has a lot personality.

Back