• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

all this news on variants has me sweating an even longer return to normalcy and frustration at the inevitability of it all for lack of stricter lockdown measures early on

all this news on variants has me sweating an even longer return to normalcy and frustration at the inevitability of it all for lack of stricter lockdown measures early on

yeah and then you have things like the Iowa governor saying fuck it and rescinding all restrictions

I posted on the other thread why you probably feel that way. The media and therefore most people have a very different idea of what normal should be in comparison to what reality will be. Basically for some reason people think that vaccination and time will mean covid eradication when reality will be circulating infection somewhere between flu and common colds.

Phrasing RJ! Lol.

If you talked to an A&R guy or recording person, that's the phrasing they would use when assessing talent. Millions of people can sing. Some are really boring. You need "personality" and the biggest stars have "it".

The benevolent way to look at those who think it's "weird" or unseemly is to say, you/they don't speak the language. The less generous way is to say ""ewwww" where are your minds at?

I posted on the other thread why you probably feel that way. The media and therefore most people have a very different idea of what normal should be in comparison to what reality will be. Basically for some reason people think that vaccination and time will mean covid eradication when reality will be circulating infection somewhere between flu and common colds.

I think I get your point, but it also feels like the new variants and questionable efficacy against them by most vaccines -- coupled with the poor isolation and masking in much of the country and parts of the world -- will at least extend the timeline on when we can get to flu-like circulation, no?

am I off base?

I think it depends on if you like to think individually or at a societal level. So far none of the variants have shown that they have complete escape from the vaccines. I don't actually think it would be possible just by the nature of the target of the vaccines and the necessity of the spike protein for cellular entry. The virus can't shift too far from the spike form or it would no longer have access to the cells necessary to replicate. I suppose that anything is possible and the concern will be that slow vaccine rollout and high community spread means you have selective pressure on anything that possibly escapes.

Yet for now lets assume that like the new variants it takes a year for these next variants to emerge and spread. Within that year timeframe and more like in the next 6 months within the United States vaccines will be put into the arms of anyone that wants one. Those vaccines depending on the variant are anywhere from 60-95% effective at preventing any illness/create asymptomatic illness, yet 100% effective at prevent hospitalization and death, that number may shift some as more people are vaccinated etc... If it stayed as it is then you have created a cold/weak flu. The 2019-2020 flu was 38 million infections, 18 million doctor visits, 400,000 hospitalizations and 22,000 deaths estimated. I think that number is very attainable within the vaccinated population if not the worst case scenario.

So original question, at an individual level I think once you are vaccinated your assumed risk can almost be considered 0. At a population level the people screwed are those that don't vaccinate. For most people I assume they will have, if not sooner, the same fuck it I don't care date as myself. That date would be the date at which the vaccine is freely and easily accessible to anyone that wants it. You can show up and get it without waiting. I think that point is end of summer or that's my target date of no more mask, eat indoors, fuck anyone that decided not to vaccinate enjoy.

thanks, helpful

have you -- or anyone else -- seen any info on expectations around future, possibly annual, shots a la the flu?

What are the odds some super liberal state like California continues with like enforcing social distancing at restaurants and bars after the vaccine is widely distributed? That'd probably make me move.

so even though I'm fully vaccinated probably still a good idea to get a rapid COVID test before getting on an airplane? It's not required for domestic travel and there are no quarantine restrictions at my destination.

So original question, at an individual level I think once you are vaccinated your assumed risk can almost be considered 0. At a population level the people screwed are those that don't vaccinate. For most people I assume they will have, if not sooner, the same fuck it I don't care date as myself. That date would be the date at which the vaccine is freely and easily accessible to anyone that wants it. You can show up and get it without waiting. I think that point is end of summer or that's my target date of no more mask, eat indoors, fuck anyone that decided not to vaccinate enjoy.

Yeah two weeks after the second jab (or 28 days after J&J) I'm at that level since I assume by the time I get it supply will be widespread.

When do you think supply will pass demand? Gottlieb seems to think April.

Last edited:
so even though I'm fully vaccinated probably still a good idea to get a rapid COVID test before getting on an airplane? It's not required for domestic travel and there are no quarantine restrictions at my destination.

What's your reasoning for getting one?

What's your reasoning for getting one?

I work around lots of other people (always masked though) and I’m going to visit my 65+ parents who have not been vaccinated yet. I know I could still pick something up in the airport, but a pre departure rapid test would be a little peace of mind.

Probably because there are other countries that have gone weeks and months without any reported cases.

Being in the first wave of the vaccine trials is fucking annoying as shit.

Yesterday afternoon, I got notice that I got heavily exposed day before yesterday. We're talking balls-deep-in-Mako's-mom exposed. That same day, the CDC announced guidance that if you've had the vaccine in the last three months, that you don't have to quarantine after exposure. I got vaccinated like 6 months ago.

Unfortunately, I'm the one generating the motherfucking data so that the rest of you chodes don't have to fucking quarantine. So, how many times do you guys think I can jerk it solo in 14 days?

0-5
6-10
10-20
20-30
30-40
40-50
50+

Being in the first wave of the vaccine trials is fucking annoying as shit.

Yesterday afternoon, I got notice that I got heavily exposed day before yesterday. We're talking balls-deep-in-Mako's-mom exposed. That same day, the CDC announced guidance that if you've had the vaccine in the last three months, that you don't have to quarantine after exposure. I got vaccinated like 6 months ago.

Unfortunately, I'm the one generating the motherfucking data so that the rest of you chodes don't have to fucking quarantine. So, how many times do you guys think I can jerk it solo in 14 days?

0-5
6-10
10-20
20-30
30-40
40-50
50+

What’s your content situation like? Phone only? Tablet? Full size flat screen? Hard copy materials?

I work around lots of other people (always masked though) and I’m going to visit my 65+ parents who have not been vaccinated yet. I know I could still pick something up in the airport, but a pre departure rapid test would be a little peace of mind.

"Fully vaccinated people who meet certain criteria won't be required to quarantine following exposure to someone with COVID-19, according to the CDC."

Since it's your parents and they haven't gotten jabbed, I understand the precaution.

"Fully vaccinated people who meet certain criteria won't be required to quarantine following exposure to someone with COVID-19, according to the CDC."

Since it's your parents and they haven't gotten jabbed, I understand the precaution.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/info-by-product/clinical-considerations.html
"Updated quarantine recommendations for vaccinated persons. Fully vaccinated persons who meet criteria will no longer be required to quarantine following an exposure to someone with COVID-19. Additional considerations for patients and residents in healthcare settings are provided."
"However, vaccinated persons with an exposure to someone with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 are not required to quarantine if they meet all of the following criteria†:
*Are fully vaccinated (i.e., ≥2 weeks following receipt of the second dose in a 2-dose series, or ≥2 weeks following receipt of one dose of a single-dose vaccine)
*Are within 3 months following receipt of the last dose in the series
*Have remained asymptomatic since the current COVID-19 exposure
*Persons who do not meet all 3 of the above criteria should continue to follow current quarantine guidance after exposure to someone with suspected or confirmed COVID-19."

"These quarantine recommendations for vaccinated persons, including the criteria for timing since receipt of the last dose in the vaccination series, will be updated when more data become available and additional COVID-19 vaccines are authorized."

Back