• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

I’m trying to determine if I should send my daughter to daycare this week. With schools closed in the county I feel like there’s reason to keep her at home with babysitters. Are there any posters here with daycare age kids, both parents needing to work and do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

I’m trying to determine if I should send my daughter to daycare this week. With schools closed in the county I feel like there’s reason to keep her at home with babysitters. Are there any posters here with daycare age kids, both parents needing to work and do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

Our daycare hasn’t closed yet. My wife is a school counselor, and has to work tomorrow to find out her marching orders for working remotely and get her things. I’m hoping daycare closes so it forces our hand, but he’ll probably end up there tomorrow then home with mom until schools open again.

Our daycare hasn’t closed yet. My wife is a school counselor, and has to work tomorrow to find out her marching orders for working remotely and get her things. I’m hoping daycare closes so it forces our hand, but he’ll probably end up there tomorrow then home with mom until schools open again.

Hope you’re right and they cancel as well. My wife is a little less cautious about it than me. I feel like there are too many fucking idiots out there to trust our child with them. She keeps pointing to the stat that children aren’t affected. I’m torn. Godspeed

Hope you’re right and they cancel as well. My wife is a little less cautious about it than me. I feel like there are too many fucking idiots out there to trust our child with them. She keeps pointing to the stat that children aren’t affected. I’m torn. Godspeed

Believe me, if the mortality rate age curve were reversed, I, like most parents, would be digging a bunker in my backyard right now. I do have this persistent fear in the back of my mind that children aren’t really at risk “for now”.

Yesterday, the Guilford County Schools website had a study between countries with school closures (Korea) and without (Singapore). The infection rates were similar between the two. The conclusion was that schools do more good than harm by staying open, taking care of kids so their parents can work and feeding those who need it. The only recommended closure was for 2 days for cleaning after a known infection.

Before Gov Cooper’s order, it seemed as if they weren’t planning to close unless it gets a lot worse.

I don’t see the page right now, so I can’t double-check what I remember from it.

Yesterday, the Guilford County Schools website had a study between countries with school closures (Korea) and without (Singapore). The infection rates were similar between the two. The conclusion was that schools do more good than harm by staying open, taking care of kids so their parents can work and feeding those who need it. The only recommended closure was for 2 days for cleaning after a known infection.

Before Gov Cooper’s order, it seemed as if they weren’t planning to close unless it gets a lot worse.

I don’t see the page right now, so I can’t double-check what I remember from it.

I'd be interested in reading that study. Seems like there would be a lot of variables for which to normalize in order to make it valid.

Selfishly I’m sending them - Shit’s about to get real, get a little extra break for the upcoming marathon

Yo ATS, can I come get swole in your basement gym, bro? My wife has curtailed my trips to the gym for the foreseeable future.

What do you think is going to happen to the world and to the USA in the weeks, months and years to come?

Weeks - Chaos
Months - I think USA comes close to 200k deaths; thankfully due to seasonality it slows down by the summer
Years - Gets worse in Southern Hemisphere in a few months but ultimately goes away by 2021

Went to the store for a couple of things. The paper aisle. bread aisle and meat aisle were empty.

Mako- RE: step into my office- Harvey Weinstein says hello.

I guess the corona just killed the Xbox servers. No sports and no xbox. Wtf is there to do now??? Watch tv shows and read a book? Throw rocks at trains? Damn this blows.

Just saw on the presser that we have the coronavirus under control. Whew. Let’s hit the bars again.

What do you think is going to happen to the world and to the USA in the weeks, months and years to come?

Weeks - Chaos
Months - I think USA comes close to 200k deaths; thankfully due to seasonality it slows down by the summer
Years - Gets worse in Southern Hemisphere in a few months but ultimately goes away by 2021

Weeks - chaos in some cities, not so bad in others. Depends on local responses. We did get a 2 week headstart to clear out and make more space in hospitals.
Months - It will peak in months, mass layoffs, 20% unemployment +. Looting & Riots. With whatever % of the country is paycheck to paycheck, it's going to be chaos
Years - Great Depression type economy, our grandparents learned to hoard from the great depression, we will do similarly. Our economy is based on consumer spending, and this won't rebound anytime in the near future. $18 hamburgers and $9 beers are a thing of the past. The end of the dollar as the reserve currency and American leadership. China will be the new superpower.

Last edited:
Back