Page 272 of 277 FirstFirst ... 172222262267268269270271272273274275276277 LastLast
Results 5,421 to 5,440 of 5532

Thread: Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

I get looks for wearing a mask everywhere I go, yes. The comments, though more common earlier in the pandemic, are usually something like "you don't have to wear that in here" or "I'm not sick so you can take that off". Effective way of making the mask wearer seem like they're the one in the wrong

But biff suggested half of them are already vaccinated so perhaps I've judged wrongly
    Last edited by wakephan09; 04-08-2021 at 03:11 PM.

Steve Lepore WhatUTalkinBout Willis's Avatar
    Right here, chained to this desk for eternity
    When considering whether to wear a mask, especially indoors, it's worth keeping in mind that no one under 16 has had the vaccine. Of course their risk profile seems to be lower than adults, but it's not zero, especially for that 12-16yo age group.

Quote Originally Posted by wfudkn View Post
    Just got the juice at one of those FEMA mass vax sites where it was all Air Force personnel processing and distributing the vax. Shit was like something out of a post-apocalyptic movie.
    Did you ask them if they knew what a stall alarm sounded like?

Once the vaccine is available to anyone that wants one, as in you can just walk into a CVS and get a shot no appointment, I am done on masks. Or really giving a fuck.

Side note.... Got shamed the other day. I was standing outside with a mask on about 5 feet from a dude and he turns around and asks me to give him six feet.

I politely took a step back, but called him a piece of shit pussy multiple times in my head.

Primary OGB Benefactor
    Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by BiffTannen View Post
    Well done.
    Thanks, it was peak passive aggressive

Sounds like IRL anonymous neg rep.

Quote Originally Posted by WFcatamount22 View Post
    Once the vaccine is available to anyone that wants one, as in you can just walk into a CVS and get a shot no appointment, I am done on masks. Or really giving a fuck.
    Yeah, I was thinking the other day that if CA keeps a mask requirement up where I can't go to a bar and play darts or go to a Clipper game with a mask off I'd seriously consider moving. Cause this isn't gonna be our last pandemic.

I do a lot of work in rural areas and there is more mask wearing than I anticipated but now that i'm vaxxed up it doesn't bother me as much when people don't wear 'em.

Vaya con dios, non-maskers, I got dumbass insurance now.

Steve Lepore WhatUTalkinBout Willis's Avatar
    Right here, chained to this desk for eternity
    Thanks, it was peak passive aggressive
    I think you mean peak passive-passive.

I feel like there needs to be a better job explaining to people the potential of what happens when you exert selective pressure with vaccines against a virus that still has a high replication rate. Though then again wonít matter to the itís all fake crowd anyways.

Scott "Rufio" Feather
    Hanging out post jab in a CVS and Iím in soft-rock Muzak hell

Quote Originally Posted by DeacInVermont View Post
    Hanging out post jab in a CVS and Iím in soft-rock Muzak hell
    OH god, Walmart had "I'm Blue, daba-di daba-die" playing while I waited my 15 minutes on monday. I'm not sure if that or the vaccine cased my three day headache.
    Birds are real.

I saw that Wake County is suspending the J&J after some people at the PNC Center had adverse reactions

Quote Originally Posted by DeaconBrews View Post
    The vaccinefinder site he used might be accurate in showing supply, but it is worthless for finding an appointment. It is still difficult to find a vaccine appointment in Austin. Thatís how I ended up getting mine in Waco. I think Cata did too. We got some of that championship juice in us now.

Quote Originally Posted by BarcaDeac View Post
    I saw that Wake County is suspending the J&J after some people at the PNC Center had adverse reactions
    Thanks Turftoega

Brews wanted further elaboration about my post above, in simplistic terms its the life will find a way idea, also microevolution in real time. Viruses are always mutating, some mutations are deleterious some are beneficial, but for the most part these mutations don't matter and are neutral especially when you have an easy steady supply of potential hosts to infect. Mutations matter when you begin to restrict essentially supply and demand, number of viruses out there and number of potential hosts. (The other instance when they matter is when you factor in length of time of an infection, its pretty certain the British variant came about by replicating in immunocompromised people where the virus was able to stay within a human host, mutate, and figure out what works best over a lengthy period of time)

For what I mentioned above with vaccines its the first, number of hosts and number of infections, or replicating virus that can cause mutations. Before vaccines came along the supply of hosts was essentially unlimited, if a mutation came along it didn't matter it would be outcompeted by the "normal" virus, there was just too much of it and no pressure against it. Now we are reaching a point where we are exerting selective pressure for escape, and it wouldn't really matter if the number of vaccinated continued to rise to an acceptable level 70/80% but we are a dumb country and it already seems like we are hitting the plateau. If you allow the virus to keep replicating at a high level, testing itself against the vaccine, you are eventually going to get a breakthrough (the caveat being that the area that is targeted by the vaccine is essential so the mutation would need to be exceptionally complex)

For those more visual of learners imagine the virus is a body with no arms and human infection is the finish line. In the beginning of the pandemic the no arms virus just runs to the finish line and infects the next person, producing more no arm viruses. Sometimes you get a mutation and now you are a no arm virus with three eyes, four ears, etc... but to get those extra eyes you lose a toe and slow down, and the normal no arm viruses reach the finish line first and extra eyes don't give you any advantage. Along comes the vaccine, anytime the no arm virus tries to reach the finish line there's now a door in front of them and they just bang against the door but can't get in. Yet there's still 50,000 infected people producing weird mutations, and one of those mutations produces an arm and hand, but loses a leg. Slowly it limps to the door, finds all the armless viruses banging hopelessly and opens it with there weird mutant hand.

Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    OH god, Walmart had "I'm Blue, daba-di daba-die" playing while I waited my 15 minutes on monday. I'm not sure if that or the vaccine cased my three day headache.
    one of the fun things about the show Superstore was nailing the big box store atmosphere during their 5-second transition scenes