• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

Most likely systemic symptom onset is approximately 12 hours after receiving the vaccine.

Some of the restrictions are ridiculous. Headed to California this coming week to see my daughter, son and grandchildren I haven’t seen since November ‘19. We’re both vaccinated fully and we will be glad to comply with the simple stuff; social distance, mask wearing etc. But when we decided to go further and visit our oldest in Maui (yeah I know, rough life) the restrictions Hawaii still have in place are insane. You have to have a PCR test ($139 each) within 72 hours of leaving or they will turn you back at the airport. Headed there on a Tuesday so we have to be tested on Saturday afternoon and hope we get the test results and download to Hawaii travel web site before we arrive. Do the math.....with a Sunday in between and the results taking on average 1-2 days, we might find ourselves turned away. I know, cry me a river but wtf? Can’t they take our vaccine card with proper identification. F’in absurd.

It’s an island with rising cases and a healthcare system that’s not set up to treat tourists for critical illnesses. You do the math you entitled douche.

What’s another $139 to travel to Hawaii?

That’s minor among minor inconveniences due to COVID.

It’s an island with rising cases and a healthcare system that’s not set up to treat tourists for critical illnesses. You do the math you entitled douche.

Hawaii, besides being a "State", has been entertaining and living on tourism dollars for over 50 years.
Kind of lazy excuse for having a Gov/Administration who would just as soon close down the island then put reasonable systems in place.
Accepting vaccine cards with proper ID () is a reasonable middle ground. You want Americans to vaccinate but still make travel for citizens within the US difficult.
Thanks deaconson for the well wishes. Up yours, DD.

Hawaii, besides being a "State", has been entertaining and living on tourism dollars for over 50 years.
Kind of lazy excuse for having a Gov/Administration who would just as soon close down the island then put reasonable systems in place.
Accepting vaccine cards with proper ID () is a reasonable middle ground. You want Americans to vaccinate but still make travel for citizens within the US difficult.

They have a reasonable system in place. You’re just being ridiculous.

Yeah seems like they have a pretty reasonable system in place as a compromise between allowing tourism and preventing their island from completely collapsing under the weight of a deadly virus. Maybe an antibody test in place of a pcr test would be the most lenient they could be. Sure maybe some type of secure verified vaccine passport could be accepted, oh wait those don’t exist because a certain group of people (conservatives) have fought against any notion of it and linked it to carrying papers. So yeah Hawaii isn’t going to just trust you have been vaccinated because how are you going to prove it?

Headed there on a Tuesday so we have to be tested on Saturday afternoon and hope we get the test results and download to Hawaii travel web site before we arrive. Do the math.....with a Sunday in between and the results taking on average 1-2 days, we might find ourselves turned away. I know, cry me a river but wtf? Can’t they take our vaccine card with proper identification. F’in absurd.

Maybe you should’ve researched the requirements before booking your flight for a Tuesday.

You can take your quotation marks and shove them up your own ass.

Hawaiians have good reason not to trust a bunch of white people to come to their island and not fake a vaccine card because they are too cheap to pay $150 for a test.

Hopefully your son has more respect for his temporary home than you do.

For me just kinda a rough nights sleep as I felt warm as if I had a fever. Now just tired in the morning. Feel better than if I had a hangover.

Some of the restrictions are ridiculous. Headed to California this coming week to see my daughter, son and grandchildren I haven’t seen since November ‘19. We’re both vaccinated fully and we will be glad to comply with the simple stuff; social distance, mask wearing etc. But when we decided to go further and visit our oldest in Maui (yeah I know, rough life) the restrictions Hawaii still have in place are insane. You have to have a PCR test ($139 each) within 72 hours of leaving or they will turn you back at the airport. Headed there on a Tuesday so we have to be tested on Saturday afternoon and hope we get the test results and download to Hawaii travel web site before we arrive. Do the math.....with a Sunday in between and the results taking on average 1-2 days, we might find ourselves turned away. I know, cry me a river but wtf? Can’t they take our vaccine card with proper identification. F’in absurd.

Do I think those restrictions are absurd? Yes.

That said, its leisure travel...you should expect to jump through some hoops. Specifically you can get a rapid PCR test done same day if you're willing to pay more.

And playing devil's advocate here, but they ARE an island and the vax card would be hilariously easy to forge. Until they have a system in place digitizing the vax records (the horrifying vax passport), you shouldn't be shocked if a place where an outbreak would be devastating is way more conscious.

I have no problem paying for a test. The 72 hour prior requirement and a test that takes a minimum of 1-2 days for results (rapid tests are not allowed) is the absurdity. Then to post (download) them to a website (which frankly I have no idea how to do) is a lot to ask for many seniors. I have help but many seniors traveling for vacations don’t. Not to mention how difficult it is to find an approved “site”. That’s right; you just don’t need a NAAT test but one from a very limited number of Providers.
But I forgot, seniors are the last people to get defended by most on this Board. F’em; all they do is watch Fox News for their information, wear Trump hats and spend money earned ripping off the System.

You can take your quotation marks and shove them up your own ass.

Hawaiians have good reason not to trust a bunch of white people to come to their island and not fake a vaccine card because they are too cheap to pay $150 for a test.

Hopefully your son has more respect for his temporary home than you do.

Oh, so you are a racist; didn’t know. Explains a lot.

Seniors planning a trip to Hawaii can get whatever other help they need. Otherwise, they can travel in the lower 48 for now. You're talking about the top 1% of first world problems.

You should look up the history of Hawaii before calling distrust of colonizers "racist."

You expect people to rush to your side when you are bitching about the requirements for your fucking Hawaiian vacation? It has nothing to do with your age, you just sound like a complete asshole.

And racism against white people is not a thing.

You expect people to rush to your side when you are bitching about the requirements for your fucking Hawaiian vacation? It has nothing to do with your age, you just sound like a complete asshole.

And racism against white people is not a thing.

No BBD, that’s your game not mine, I’m not looking for anyone to be on my side or empathy what so ever.
The pattern against seniors here is what it is.
I simply made a conversational statement that Hawaii is being very strict and restrictive in their entry requirements, even for their own residents. My being inconvenienced is of little consequence and a much bigger deal for others.
That it brought out the attack dogs is also, no surprise.

You even anticipated the backlash against your post when you said “I know, cry me a river, right?” And yet when the backlash came you immediately lashed out and blamed some inherent bias we must have against old people.

I mean you don’t even have the right information, for example if your test results aren’t ready/uploaded you aren’t turned away and sent back on the next flight, you are required to quarantine until your results are ready. Hell you can show up with nothing, just need to quarantine for 14 days. Also there’s like a 15 page step by step instruction book containing every possible scenario of getting a test and uploading it, on a computer, on a phone, on a computer then phone, as a pdf, as screenshot, as a photo. It’s the equivalent of complaining that it’s too difficult to travel because you can’t figure out how to book an airline ticket.

We literally locked this country down for large chunks of this last year because of a virus that was statistically brutal for seniors. Then we prioritized seniors for the vaccine.

So if a senior is going to sit there and say we are collectively shitting on seniors, I say fuck your tone deaf ass.

Back