• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

Stolen from Defector:

Do you think you’ve successfully killed any rona spores lingering on your hands this past year, either through hand sanitizer or good old fashioned soap and water?

I would have to say no. I haven't had close contact with someone who had it, and wasn't really engaging people on the outside world. So to be honest, I dont think I killed a single Rona germ.

I used to be religious about bringing a small bottle of hand sanitizer with me everywhere but lately don't always remember it.

seems like it was generally known that it was circulated mostly by air by early summer last year

Agreed that it’s probably unlikely that I killed a rona germ. I don’t use sanitizer all that often anymore just mainly where I’ve been to places where I’m touching things others have also touched like railings or cart handles etc. I think I’ve also gotten better about just not touching a ton of stuff when I go places. Those seem like they should be best practices anyway to be honest.

You know what kept me safe from coronavirus ? My O Positive blood that killed the virus that I probably breathed in all summer and winter.

What do you think is necessary for people to understand risk, better math skills and instruction? Is it because messaging has been so contradictory? So many people make statements like I’m now vaccinated I think I’ll go to a brewery patio, it’s like you could have done that shit the last few months. Always too many extremes, 2&2 hitting up Golden Corral in Myrtle Beach countered by people running outside with a mask on.

What do you think is necessary for people to understand risk, better math skills and instruction? Is it because messaging has been so contradictory? So many people make statements like I’m now vaccinated I think I’ll go to a brewery patio, it’s like you could have done that shit the last few months. Always too many extremes, 2&2 hitting up Golden Corral in Myrtle Beach countered by people running outside with a mask on.

I've been pretty awesome at managing that risk and didn't catch it but was able to have a great time with reduced crowds and help keep businesses open through my patronage.

It’s harder to make rational, risk based calculations when one of the outcomes is death.

Sure the risk is small, but avoiding the worst case scenario is worth not eating on a patio for a while.

I ate outdoors once at the wife's request as she was losing it and didn't feel comfortable being downwind from rubes, so didn't do it again.

It’s harder to make rational, risk based calculations when one of the outcomes is death.

Sure the risk is small, but avoiding the worst case scenario is worth not eating on a patio for a while.

I mean there is a risk of death just getting to the restaurant. There isn’t much good evidence of covid spread outside and socially distanced.

I mean there is a risk of death just getting to the restaurant. There isn’t much good evidence of covid spread outside and socially distanced.

A much smaller risk than dying from Covid. Especially if you’re walking.

And until a couple months ago, no one was definitely saying that outdoor transmission was rare.

I didn’t go anywhere or do anything for a year plus. I’m fully vaccinated and eating out like every day now.

My two weeks are up tomorrow and I’m getting ready to bust out of this quarantine shit in the most metal way possible: a 4 year old’s birthday party this weekend.

I think what's frustrating to me about this line of thinking is that the risk of dying in, say, a car accident is way higher than dying from covid

there are inherent risks in everything we do in our daily lives -- usually very small risks -- but the hyper-focus on Covid makes it's rate of risk feel much higher than it actually is

and yes, the transmission component changes the calculation, but at the end of the day, there needs to be a risk threshold that we have to live with because it will never be wiped away completely, just like people die by car accident or the flu or side effects from medicines etc. -- not saying it's easy to pin that calculation down, but the frustration comes from people who talk about the risk level needing to be zero before things can move forward

A much smaller risk than dying from Covid. Especially if you’re walking.

And until a couple months ago, no one was definitely saying that outdoor transmission was rare.

that second sentence is just untrue

outdoor transmission really only occurs if you're having a prolonged, physically close, unmasked interaction with someone and I feel that has been known since last summer, or at least highly, highly likely since "knowing" is too high of a threshold -- similarly, the transmission not being attributed to surfaces has been highly, highly likely since around the same time

I think what's frustrating to me about this line of thinking is that the risk of dying in, say, a car accident is way higher than dying from covid

there are inherent risks in everything we do in our daily lives -- usually very small risks -- but the hyper-focus on Covid makes it's rate of risk feel much higher than it actually is

and yes, the transmission component changes the calculation, but at the end of the day, there needs to be a risk threshold that we have to live with because it will never be wiped away completely, just like people die by car accident or the flu or side effects from medicines etc. -- not saying it's easy to pin that calculation down, but the frustration comes from people who talk about the risk level needing to be zero before things can move forward

I agree with your last paragraph. Having said that, I think you have to factor in more than just death as a negative outcome from covid in those odds in your first sentence. Like if you get so sick that you’re on a ventilator for a month. Or have a debilitating in-bed illness for a week. Or be a long hauler with scarred lungs etc that will transform your life going forward. Sure you didn’t die I suppose but it’s pretty disruptive. I don’t particularly fear dying but I don’t want any of those outcomes either and don’t want to contribute to spreading those outcomes to others.

Back