• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

The UK is banking on building up herd immunity in the younger population on the basis that the young can survive the infection and are then recovered (the R in the model) and immune going forward.

Hell of way to cut down on elderly costs.

these seem like acceptable losses

edit to say this is not in the quote brackets but i can't seem to fix it

Still business as usual here. My office is open and running as it always has. They just closed the schools and all of the restaurants in Charleston are moving towards take-out/delivery only. It's a strange time to be alive.

agreed...my face has never been itchier than it is right now

Same here. My problem is it's peak pollen season - so my allergies are kicking in. I go into a store, and my nose gets itchy, I get a tickle in my throat, a sneeze comes on, etc. And you can't not think about it - the more you try, the more that stuff bothers you.

Our company is global with about 7500 employees, with only about 5% working from home usually. They spent the whole weekend spinning up servers and implementing security to allow the other 95% of employees to remotely access their office PCs from their home computers. Mainly settling up VPN clients and RDP connections for 7000 people, and getting them all to register for access, etc... It's been a bumpy start to the week.

humblebrag/I'm Infrastructure Director for an 18-month old company of about 1000 domestic users across 4 factories and 6 sites. I helped stand the company up and designed the systems with the application team, and insisted on little to no server infrastructure whatsoever, all SaaS and PaaS based systems and laptops/tablets etc so the transition to home-based work this weekend has been smooth sailing, I'm so glad Im not fucking around with all those VPNs and RDP sessions and people's shitty home computers/networks. Your IT guys are hating the next few weeks humblebrag/

Real talk. Anyone here ever been this freaked out, man? I definitely wasn’t during 911, although I was young and dumb and without children.

Real talk. Anyone here ever been this freaked out, man? I definitely wasn’t during 911, although I was young and dumb and without children.

I’m non-politically worried that we have awful leadership right now, and I’m not sure how we come back from this.

My mom is 81 and still works at a women's boutique a couple of days a week that has not closed interacting with general public touching merchandise so Ive been a little freaked for her but I think my family will be ok just tired of each other in quarantine.

The nation is fucked, though, it appears

Say it wipes out 15% of those over 65. Mostly those with serious conditions. Saves of govt Social Security & Medicare outlays, no? As long as govt can provide food & shelter, presumably we should be able to rebound.

I’m non-politically worried that we have awful leadership right now, and I’m not sure how we come back from this.

Well, I think there are two ways it happens, depending on who the next president is and if we have another election. Either we work together with other countries to restructure the global political economy so it is seen as less of a zero sum game, or we go to war. Doesn't matter with who... wartime economy will get things back on track, even if it isn't sustainable long term.

Mark Cuban covering arena staff salaries during NBA season suspension. :thumbsup: No other owner has followed his lead.:mad:

Zion Williamson put up $100k toward Pelican arena staff salaries. :cool: Pelicans ownership silent.:rulz:

Sir Richard Branson begging British government for $upport for Virgin Airways, yet he is asking VA employees to take 8 weeks unpaid. :fu:

Mark Cuban covering arena staff salaries during NBA season suspension. :thumbsup: No other owner has followed his lead.:mad:

Zion Williamson put up $100k toward Pelican arena staff salaries. :cool: Pelicans ownership silent.:rulz:

Sir Richard Branson begging British government for $upport for Virgin Airways, yet he is asking VA employees to take 8 weeks unpaid. :fu:

but, but, but, he's a good friend of Barack, so shut your mouth

The Cuban story has been on the sports board for a few days. Kevin Love put up $100,000 last week. Rudy Gobert is putting up $500,000.

All-time cheap bastard Michael Jordan is starting a "fund" to do the same for Hornets employees. Write the fucking check MJ.

The pandemic should show how interconnected the world is and should show how we are all in this together, it wont but it should. Same with public health through out the world, but especially here in the United States. Public health infrastructure has been cut cut cut, even during times of economic prosperity. Its the vaccine dilemma where if you make something so good then over time people forget how great what you made is, if a vaccine is working you don't think about it for the rest of your life and the long ago images of iron lungs and smallpox scars wash away to a world of anti-vaxers. Public health in this country was being held together by shoe string budgets, understaffed and underfunded while there were still huge public health projects to fund. If a problem did find itself funding, like the opiod epidemic its solution was block grants to states with no accountability and no state to state coordination. Maybe the pandemic will shine a bright light at something that's been festering in this society for a long time but also probably wont.

Back