• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

Seems strange we aren't really making a dent in daily COVID cases despite the number of vaccines (and cumulative cases) out there. We've been stuck at 60k cases nationally for 2 months straight.

This week we have begun to see drops in most of the country, which I think will accelerate over the next week.

Also we were already at a lower number, which will be hard to reduce further because of morons who think the vaccine will hurt them.

Also we were already at a lower number, which will be hard to reduce further because of morons who think the vaccine will hurt them.

Not sure I follow this. There are 60,000 COVID cases daily, which is much lower than our peak but still a ton of daily cases.

Yeah, 60,000 daily cases is roughly equal to the 2nd peak, so it’s still not “low” although it’s getting there in CA where I live. But even in LA, the case count has been stubbornly flat for the past few weeks

The more people who catch it, the more people die, even if it’s the same lethality as the OG strain.

Yes , but this seems to imply it's not the same lethality as the OG strain

The CDC's new mask guidance is a bullshit watered down half measure that's more likely to make people think the vaccines don't work than it is to get people to keep wearing masks almost all the time.

The CDC's new mask guidance is a bullshit watered down half measure that's more likely to make people think the vaccines don't work than it is to get people to keep wearing masks almost all the time.

afraid i agree - bit of a nothingburger

I feel like every Master of Public Health class for the next 50 years will dissect the errors of the Covid-19 response

Don’t have Trump be your president, there class over.

Also I see Joe Rogan is being his normal shitty self when it comes to vaccines.

which is greater?

1. the risk of adverse health events/contributing to community spread due to Covid-19 for a fully vaccinated person, or
2. the risk of adverse health events/contributing to community spread due to the flu in a normal year, regardless of whether one received a flu shot?

(the answer is #2...by a lot...so will CDC be recommending masks in perpetuity?)

I just noticed that the pharmacy tech and walmart wrote the wrong date on my vaccine card for my second shot. I got the second Moderna shot April 5th, but she wrote May 3rd which would have been 28 days later, the recommended date to get the second shot if April 5th was my first dose. She must have written the 4/5/21 and 5/3/21 hundreds of times that day and jotted the wrong one down on my card. So, do I need to get a new card with the correct date?

I just noticed that the pharmacy tech and walmart wrote the wrong date on my vaccine card for my second shot. I got the second Moderna shot April 5th, but she wrote May 3rd which would have been 28 days later, the recommended date to get the second shot if April 5th was my first dose. She must have written the 4/5/21 and 5/3/21 hundreds of times that day and jotted the wrong one down on my card. So, do I need to get a new card with the correct date?

Honestly, I would go in and ask then to redo it. I could see some dumbass TSA agent refusing that card if it's ever needed.

which is greater?

1. the risk of adverse health events/contributing to community spread due to Covid-19 for a fully vaccinated person, or
2. the risk of adverse health events/contributing to community spread due to the flu in a normal year, regardless of whether one received a flu shot?

(the answer is #2...by a lot...so will CDC be recommending masks in perpetuity?)

yeah, the overcorrection on risk related to Covid compared with other things we live with is annoying

not saying we're out of the woods yet because of mutations and kids not being vaccinated and other countries not being vaccinated and all that, but there seems to be a sense that the risk has to get far below the threshold we tolerate for things like the flu, driving cars, etc. before we can talk about normalcy

people are emotional in their thinking

yeah, the overcorrection on risk related to Covid compared with other things we live with is annoying

not saying we're out of the woods yet because of mutations and kids not being vaccinated and other countries not being vaccinated and all that, but there seems to be a sense that the risk has to get far below the threshold we tolerate for things like the flu, driving cars, etc. before we can talk about normalcy

people are emotional in their thinking

Novel risk >>>>>> risk we have become accustomed to over years/decades/centuries

BeachBum is right. There may be some hesitancy to do too much too fast until everyone that wants a vaccine has it. I don't think those recommendations are intended to be permanent. I think it is reasonable to relax a bit, confirm things go as expected, then relax next steps.
But, these vaccine are incredibly effective. We should trust the science and give vaccinated people their lives back.

E0AFj84WQAEksnH

Back