• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

I was directly exposed to Covid this week. Sat next to an infected person in a conference room for 4 hours on Tuesday raw dogging it without a mask.

Curious if my previous infection + Phizer will keep me vid free.

If I were you I'd get tested for fun this weekend just to see if I have a non-symptomatic case.

Plus, isn't that the whole point of the mRNA vaccine as opposed to a dead virus vaccine? It is changing the cell composition through the RNA so that the protein spike is embedded in the cell memory and through cell reproduction. So it shouldn't wane because the memory should be reproducing. Unless, of course, it is just a placebo.

No, this is not how mRNA vaccines work. They work as follows - mRNA is injected into the muscle, and then the mRNA goes into muscle cells. mRNA is translated into protein (spike protein, in this case), which then goes to the surface of the cell. The immune system then reacts to the spike protein. The mRNA then breaks down and is eliminated. So it's just a different way to present the spike protein to the immune system. It has nothing to do with "cell memory" or longevity of response.

No. Not happening. But then again, we never wore masks in our office.

The people in your office never wore masks? Even when interacting with each other during the height of the pandemic? That's not very smart.

That's another thing - the more often you're exposed, theoretically, the better off you are if you've got Pfizer. I got exposed a fair bit early on, and I was like a fucking tank. But it's been months since I've had any meaningful COVID contact that I know of.

I got my second shot in Aug/Sept of 2020. I'm nearing a year out.

So you've outright avoided bars, restaurants, flights, trains, rideshare, etc?

https://www.foxla.com/video/960485

Breakthrough cases: Over 25% of new COVID-19 cases in Los Angeles County are fully vaccinated people

That's the local LA news.

I feel like the people freaking out about this stat just don't understand how math and/or <100% effective vaccines work.

Like 75% of LA is vaccinated. We know that the Vaccines were only 90% effective. 75% * (1-90%) = 7.5%. Vs 25% of the unvaccinated population. 7.5%/32.5% = 23%. You'd expect 23% of the cases to be amongst vaccinated folks. It's just the math for a 90% effective vaccine in a largely vaccinated population.

Last edited:
Plus, isn't that the whole point of the mRNA vaccine as opposed to a dead virus vaccine? It is changing the cell composition through the RNA so that the protein spike is embedded in the cell memory and through cell reproduction. So it shouldn't wane because the memory should be reproducing. Unless, of course, it is just a placebo.

JFC, do you ever get anything involving science correct?

The people in your office never wore masks? Even when interacting with each other during the height of the pandemic? That's not very smart.

We all have private offices; and it was just us, a couple of small law firms, and an apartment developer in a 45,000sf building. We were out of the office for a few months but came back last July. Ate lunch out every day. No problems.

I feel like the people freaking out about this stat just don't understand how math and/or <100% effective vaccines work.

Like 75% of LA is vaccinated. We know that the Vaccines were only 90% effective. 75% * (1-90%) = 7.5%. Vs 25% of the unvaccinated population. 7.5%/32.5% = 23%. You'd expect 23% of the cases to be amongst vaccinated folks. It's just the math for a 90% effective vaccine in a largely vaccinated population.

This. And very few of that 25% are hospitalizations.

We all have private offices; and it was just us, a couple of small law firms, and an apartment developer in a 45,000sf building. We were out of the office for a few months but came back last July. Ate lunch out every day. No problems.

No mask in private offices is safe. Eating lunch out every day? Not a great idea. Nobody in your office got COVID?

Youyang Gu made this point on his Twitter feed (he formerly had a modeler which was far more accurate than IHME)

Makes sense but did have one question. Where did 32.5% come from?

Yeah, I don't think people realize how much this was a plague among the poors and the dumb.

Going out to restaurants daily, prior to vaccines and during the peak of the pandemic, puts one in the "dumb" category.

Makes sense but did have one question. Where did 32.5% come from?

Total population expected to get covid = 25% unvaccinated population + 7.5% (10% of the 75% of those vaccinated). So the percentage of that population that's vaccinated would be 7.5/32.5.

Last edited:
So they decrease the spread of COVID. This protects vulnerable people and decreases the chance of new potent variants.

I don't think the "decreases the chance of new potent variants" point really stands when a majority of the world doesn't have access to a vaccine and most of the variants originate from abroad. It decreases it, sure. But probably not meaningfully enough to warrant vaccinated folks wearing masks.

Going out to restaurants daily, prior to vaccines and during the peak of the pandemic, puts one in the "dumb" category.

agreed, and I doubt Biff did this indoors

Back