• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

Yeah, and there's no such thing as sanitizing the whole house.

Because you can be contagious before displaying symptoms or just asymptomatic, but still contagious

yeah, I guess that's what I'm getting at, and it's a reasonable way to be, just sounds exhausting

I mean, if GTB was railing my mom, I would probably think the efficacy of hand sanitizers was limited as well. God knows what’s crawling around your childhood home, Juice.

My son is getting married in a little over a month and this development is...disheartening.

The 4 year old is playing barbies with the baby in the playroom. The phrase, “you can’t come in the house. You’ve got the karate virus” is yelled, followed by a Barbie being launched into the hallway.

I feel that’s the most pragmatic way to handle this outbreak.

It's the flu with a name. There have been bad cases of unnamed flu in previous years and nobody cared much. Marketing is everything. The whole world is acting like the South with a snow forecast. This is going to run its course, probably worldwide, and be pretty much like a regular flu - fever, cough, and unfortunately kill some of the elderly.

This is wishful thinking and not backed up by any of the hard numbers we have so far. It's both much more infectious than the any unnamed flu AND more serious.

Sources:
https://medium.com/@amwren/forget-a...be-worried-about-the-coronavirus-890fbf9c4de6
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1236095180459003909.html

That said, IF we treat it seriously there is strong evidence that we can dramatically improve the R0, but that requires being honest about the situation in American cities (Seattle, NYC, Vegas) and having an accurate picture so we can figure out when and where to invoke strict measures. https://twitter.com/CT_Bergstrom/status/1236203915131019264

Last edited:
My wife has a conference at Stanford in two weeks. I assume that’s going to be cancelled soon.

We were going to visit my in-laws but my son woke up with a sore throat and running nose. Not going now.

The major cruise lines are in full panic mode offering free credit for people who don't cancel their plans, and refunds for those who do.

Ive got a spring break cruise with the kids April 11-18 and have until 3/31 to decide if we want to cancel. Definitely waiting for more information. Biggest worry is ending up in a situation where a ship is denied port or quatantined for a couple weeks.

Video shows infection rates and death rates which are clearly increasing exponentially, then compares a point in time to other completed curves

Terrible science

There’s probably a number at which I could be bought, but it would take a lot of money for me to set foot on a cruise line right now.

Yeah I'm leaning heavily towards rescheduling right now. No sense doing it until the deadline though.

Cruise ships and nursing homes have a common mode of easy virus transmission - handrails. I have first-hand experience with battling norovirus in a nursing home and strongly suspect that one of the main issues in the Seattle area nursing home coronavirus outbreak is the residents' use of handrails to steady themselves while ambulating. The few cruise ships I've been on were loaded with handrails.

There's no way that I would go on a cruise until this virus is under control.

Cruise ships and nursing homes have a common mode of easy virus transmission - handrails. I have first-hand experience with battling norovirus in a nursing home and strongly suspect that one of the main issues in the Seattle area nursing home coronavirus outbreak is the residents' use of handrails to steady themselves while ambulating. The few cruise ships I've been on were loaded with handrails.

There's no way that I would go on a cruise until this virus is under control.

I think the buffet serving stations on cruise ships are a disaster waiting to happen too. Everyone serves themselves, etc...

All whole foods in NYC are sold out of paper towels. Not sure why people need that many paper towels, I guess washing hands and they dont own hand towels?

Had to give a conference paper remotely this morning. Found out while at the airport yesterday that there was a good chance I would not be allowed on campus for 14 days if I went which isn’t doable.

All whole foods in NYC are sold out of paper towels. Not sure why people need that many paper towels, I guess washing hands and they dont own hand towels?

Likely the same reason there is no bottled water. Apparently the Kung Flu prevents sinks from working as well.

Back