• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

Yeah a blood cancer of the plasma cells which produce your antibodies might be a top oh fuck you’re going to be immunocompromised disease.

Yeah a blood cancer of the plasma cells which produce your antibodies might be a top oh fuck you’re going to be immunocompromised disease.

At that point, it's almost disingenuous to say that he had been vaccinated. Like, I get that he may have had the shot, but that is no indication that his body had the ability to mount a sufficient immune response to it.

Great thread

Want thoughts of the doctors on here about mixing boosters. Wife and I got the j&j, but one study shows that we are probably better off getting Moderna or Pfizer as our booster based on antibody count. As this study was based on a small sample size over a short period in time, do the medical folks on here have confidence in recommending Moderna or Pfizer for folks that had j&j or should we just stick with the j&j to be safe.

Want thoughts of the doctors on here about mixing boosters. Wife and I got the j&j, but one study shows that we are probably better off getting Moderna or Pfizer as our booster based on antibody count. As this study was based on a small sample size over a short period in time, do the medical folks on here have confidence in recommending Moderna or Pfizer for folks that had j&j or should we just stick with the j&j to be safe.

If I had JJ as my first shot, I would likely get Pfizer or Moderna as my second.

I got J&J and plan to get Moderna next if I'm able. At least 3 of my close friends that got J&J made that decision earlier before it was approved. Seems like a winning combo, especially vs Delta

What are Pit parents doing with the vaccine for the age 5-11 crowd?

What are Pit parents doing with the vaccine for the age 5-11 crowd?

Hopefully getting it injected in their kids' arms. If my kid wasn't old enough to have already received Pfizer, it would've been a no brainer to get the vaccine.

I don't understand why this one elicits more questions than other ones. It it just because it's new?

Hopefully getting it injected in their kids' arms. If my kid wasn't old enough to have already received Pfizer, it would've been a no brainer to get the vaccine.

I don't understand why this one elicits more questions than other ones. It it just because it's new?

getting it as soon as I can get her scheduled

as the parent of a 2-year old we're going to get him vaxed as soon as we can. hopefully early-mid winter?

I don't think it's even "new." It's the same vaccine. They just had to do clinical trials on younger children to get the dosage and such right.

Among any reasonable group of people, it's not even a question. Get the vaccine as soon as possible. We still get 2 or 3 COVID alerts a week from my kid's elementary school. Once enough children get fully vaccinated, I think we'll finally see people fully back out there living their lives, unmasked, coughing on unvaxxed people because there won't be a large unwillingly unvaccinated population who could easily spread the disease.

(I love that I get a spellcheck for "unvaccinated." The whole concept of not being vaccinated is so stupid that "unvaccinated" isn't even really a word.)

Probably because for the vast, vast, vast majority of kids, the 24-48 hour side effects from the vaccine will be significantly more discomforting than Covid, assuming they are similar to the adult side effects. So the parent has to plan on staying home from work with the kid the day after the shot(s), whereas if the kid gets Covid nobody even usually knows it unless they happen to take a test.

I don't think it's even "new." It's the same vaccine. They just had to do clinical trials on younger children to get the dosage and such right.

I meant "new" as in Pfizer is still "new."

And I noticed 2&2 posted, but it isn't worth replying to.

The PTB drew a distinction between under 12 and 12 and over. I'm not sure why. If it's based on the inability to get consent from young patients for clinical trials (just guessing), and there was never any additional concern at younger ages about efficacy and/or risks, I'd like to know that. If it's balancing the risks of side effects versus the generally benign nature of Covid in small kids, that's another factor.

So far we're 100% on eligible people getting vaccinated, but I can't wrap my mind around why kids under 12 were not part of the initial approval package.

Probably because for the vast, vast, vast majority of kids, the 24-48 hour side effects from the vaccine will be significantly more discomforting than Covid, assuming they are similar to the adult side effects. So the parent has to plan on staying home from work with the kid the day after the shot(s), whereas if the kid gets Covid nobody even usually knows it unless they happen to take a test.

2&2 continues to justify not getting a vaccine. just stop.

not dying from, or being hospitalized with, covid and not having long haul symptoms are two pretty damn good reasons to get our kids - us as well - vaccinated. daughter just turned twelve a few weeks ago and this Saturday will be two weeks post dose two. when my nine year old can get the shot he will too. daughter post jab one was tired with a lack of appetite. jab two was a little sleepy with an earlier bedtime same day she got it.

The PTB drew a distinction between under 12 and 12 and over. I'm not sure why. If it's based on the inability to get consent from young patients for clinical trials (just guessing), and there was never any additional concern at younger ages about efficacy and/or risks, I'd like to know that. If it's balancing the risks of side effects versus the generally benign nature of Covid in small kids, that's another factor.

So far we're 100% on eligible people getting vaccinated, but I can't wrap my mind around why kids under 12 were not part of the initial approval package.

I'm not sure I understand your question. The initial studies were done in adults and older kids, and then another round of studies was done in younger kids (age 5-11), which is why there was a delay in approval for younger kids.

Last edited:

I have not heard of parents staying home with kids because they got a vaccine. My kids got flu and tetanus shots last week and continued about their day like nothing happened. I guess if you're really concerned that your kids will need to miss school, then just do the vaccine on a Friday.

Back