• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

why'd they have to go and pick the most insignificant of the greek letters for this variant?

Because the "nu variant" would have confused the hell out of people who thought that they were just saying "new variant"?

Also, this is an Omicronian

Lurr.png

getting my booster this afternoon. can't decide if i wanna mix n match w/ moderna (2x pfizer at this point). doubt it matters that much. wife mixed in moderna yesterday with no negative reactions at this point. prob does not matter much.

I did the Moderna mix and match on Wednesday. I was wrecked yesterday. I was scared I may not be able to make the trip to Charlotte but I’m fine today.

Kids daycare class shutdown because one of them tested positive. Fuck. Gotta wait a day or two to get my kid tested. Fingers crossed she’s not positive because that would fuck up eeeeverything

Oldest niece came down with a cold this morning and tested positive after I spent an hour or two 5 feet away from her last night.

Oldest niece came down with a cold this morning and tested positive after I spent an hour or two 5 feet away from her last night.

Sorry man. Worse weekends to have your last hurrah!

Also, sorry to hear about your niece. I hope she and her whole family will be ok.

Also, sorry to hear about your niece. I hope she and her whole family will be ok.

I'm sure my SIL is gonna go nuts cause I believe she's immuno compromised (not 100% sure how?) which is what has been freaking em out about covid the past 18 months, but hopefully it's nothing.

Yeah. Yesterday one of our public health professors sent an email saying Omicron was more virulent because it was less deadly and compared it to the common cold.

Yeah. Yesterday one of our public health professors sent an email saying Omicron was more virulent because it was less deadly and compared it to the common cold.

If Omicron can outcompete delta and other more deadly strains, could this be our ticket out of the pandemic?

Covid just kind of goes back to being a cold and we move on, crosses fingers.

2&2 WAS RIGHT (PAGE 83 IF YOU'RE A PSYCHOPATH WITH 80 POSTS PER PAGE)

If Omicron can outcompete delta and other more deadly strains, could this be our ticket out of the pandemic?

Covid just kind of goes back to being a cold and we move on, crosses fingers.

Yep. That was his point.

And although B.1.1.529 (Omicron) appears more transmissible than the now dominant Delta variant, it seems to have lower virulence. In fact, to date all cases have been mild to moderate and there have been no fatalities. While that may change, particularly as older, obese, and medically complicated and unvaccinated patients become infected, it is welcome news.

I have been predicting for some time that the COVID-19 pandemic would end with a “whimper and not a bang” as the virus gradually mutates into a form consistent with the coronaviruses that cause a quarter of common colds. From an evolutionary perspective, the most “successful” virus is one that was easily transmissible, generates mild symptoms and does not kill its host. This is why there are many, many more common colds than deadly Ebola, MERS or SARS-CoV-1 infections. In fact, one only has to look at the incredible efficiency of the common cold to appreciate that this phenotype is the logical endpoint of mutation-driven viral natural selection.

So while much data needs to be collected to confirm this hypothesis, in the interim, the single most effective tool we have to ensure the public’s health, a vibrant economy and our collective sanity is multi-dose COVID-19 vaccination. So if you haven’t been vaccinated – do it now, and, if you qualify, get your booster shot.

40 fold sounds like alot

The small study of 12 patients conducted by the Africa Health Research Institute found there was about a 40-fold reduction in vaccine-induced neutralizing antibodies compared to the ancestral strain of the virus.

All relative to what the initial level is within the FRNT assay is, if you are above neutralization thresholds you are still good below them then a problem, also linked to any given initial viral load of exposure. Seems that in this case naturally immune, and two dose vaccine falls below threshold, while previously infected and vaccinated or three dose vaccine would fall above. It’s also the are you trying to prevent infection or are you trying to prevent bad illness and outcomes.

Back