• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

Vaccination doesn't matter at this point. Omicron demonstrated that it's solid against hospitalizations, but not against getting it.

That’s not true but who the fuck cares anymore everyone’s an expert, everyone’s special snowflake opinion matters just as much to create their own little reality. So sure it feels right so why not!

Biden administration is distributing 400 million N95 masks this week. These masks are useful for approximately one day of use. There are 350 million people in this country.

What am I missing here ?

You can re-use N95s lots of times.

Okay, so it's good for a couple of weeks, then what ? Keep wearing it ? It's going to be March, Omicron wave will be over, people will be going back outside, and everyone in the hospital will still be an unvaccinated fatso. People are not going to go buy N95 masks for $1.25 apiece, and wear them, indefinitely. Most people will never buy or wear an N95 mask. Especially when the government fed us a bunch of bullshit about the effectiveness of cloth masks for two years and forced us to wear them.

Cloth masks were effective, just not as effective as better masks. I don't expect people to mask indefinitely, but I think it makes sense to tie mask masking guidance to community transmission levels. Ask people to wear high quality masks in crowded indoor spaces during surges.

on this non-political thread, is it worth pointing out that two different Presidents had roughly a year apiece to procure, say, 4 billion N95 masks, such that every U.S. citizen could have had 10 apiece before the Omicron wave hit?

at this point, non-politically, both my wife and I have been boosted and had a breakthrough (mild) Omicron case. With hospitalizations cresting just about everywhere, it seems to be theater at this point to require my quadruple-protected body to wear a mask, but ok...

What prompted this latest surge of complaining, did someone politely ask biff to wear his mask or something?

if only Biff could've heard Bill Maher say he wasn't getting boosted before it was too late

They’ve found a buzzword that resonates with them. Theatre.
It’s already been explained why prior infection is not an optimal distinction.

if only Biff could've heard Bill Maher say he wasn't getting boosted before it was too late

Dude, I'm boostered. I'll get a shot every six months for the rest of my life if I need to. I haven't watched Maher in a couple of years.

at this point, non-politically, both my wife and I have been boosted and had a breakthrough (mild) Omicron case. With hospitalizations cresting just about everywhere, it seems to be theater at this point to require my quadruple-protected body to wear a mask, but ok...

Since boosted people can still get transmissible breakthrough infections, perhaps requiring even them to wear masks has slowed transmission

I wonder if things would be a lot worse if people hadn't been masking?

Omicron demonstrated that it's solid against hospitalizations

Baptist is literally at capacity on hospital beds right now. And it's 95% unvaxxed people in there. We should all be very thankful for the vaccinated among us that are avoiding hospitalization, otherwise our health care system would be at the stage of rationing care.

Recent local trend I’ve observed is gradually increasing percentage of sickest patients are vaccinated…maybe around 15-20 percent.

For a variety of reasons, likely. Not boosted, significant risk factors (NOT = “one foot already in the grave”), etc.

This doesn’t mean the vaccines aren’t still very helpful.

Feel like Biff is getting away with some awfully hard opinions about masks that he has not supported with any evidence.

That’s not true but who the fuck cares anymore everyone’s an expert, everyone’s special snowflake opinion matters just as much to create their own little reality. So sure it feels right so why not!

Nearly everybody I know who is fully vaccinated and boosted got the bug in this latest wave. And all of them had mild cases-- fever for 24-48 hours, fatigue, lingering cough. The vaccine is effective against hospitalizations. There is no evidence that it is stopping the spread right now, and with roughly 40% of cases asymptomatic, it isn't particularly realistic to think that any measures apart from a complete lockdown or a lifetime of social distancing are going to slow the spread. That obviously isn't feasible.

Best thing at this point is to resume normal life and issue advisories when there are peaks and there will be a reasonable amount of people who voluntarily stay in or socially distance themselves to hopefully contain the surge, which as we know by now is usually a 2 week thing. Do that until there are no more peaks. It is endemic and has been for a while. Policy needs to be adjusted accordingly. People have reached their limits. There is going to be a point very, very soon when people realize that the stability of governments requires a return to normal life. It's best to be proactive rather than reactive.

Here is the thing about viruses it’s not binary, it’s not exposed equals infected, there are so many variables that go into that equation. On this instance let’s talk viral load and vaccination. For simplistic purposes say you have circulating antibodies and you require 1000 or greater to neutralize any viral load from the virus and remain asymptomatic/uninfected. Your vaccination after 2 weeks is on average 10,000 and decreases overtime. At like 3 months you begin to decrease below 1000, say you are at 800 now a max dose of the virus you may get sick, but say you wear a face mask the viral load you are exposed to drops down an order of magnitude and 800 is now enough to neutralize, and this type of thing continues to be at play.

Here is the thing about viruses it’s not binary, it’s not exposed equals infected, there are so many variables that go into that equation. On this instance let’s talk viral load and vaccination. For simplistic purposes say you have circulating antibodies and you require 1000 or greater to neutralize any viral load from the virus and remain asymptomatic/uninfected. Your vaccination after 2 weeks is on average 10,000 and decreases overtime. At like 3 months you begin to decrease below 1000, say you are at 800 now a max dose of the virus you may get sick, but say you wear a face mask the viral load you are exposed to drops down an order of magnitude and 800 is now enough to neutralize, and this type of thing continues to be at play.

Too many numbers.

Back