• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

How many pre-pandemic workers aren't reentering the workforce because they're dead? I bet it's < 800,000, but way more than 1.

Somehow Donkey Deac Doug has missed the 1 million articles about COVID and the economy that mention how parents and caregivers have to stay home with their children because schools and daycares are closed all the fucking time. It’s fucking Occams Razor, not some bullshit conspiracy of clever welfare hillbillies. Mom can’t afford to work for tips at the fucking diner or 12/hr at the call center anymore because now she has to stay home with her kids. Not that complicated.

Actually counting deaths in the prime workforce age something like 250,000. Adding in excess mortality you are probably at closer to double that. Add in the idea about guest worker and immigration essentially shunted by the pandemic that’s over a million workers right there just waiting to be exploited.

Why do white rural Americans think their rural is the only type of rural and no one else (including people who grew up in rural America) can understand it?

Why do white rural Americans think their rural is the only type of rural and no one else (including people who grew up in rural America) can understand it?

I’m so out of touch here on the sprawling outer edge of Winston-Salem on the border of Davidson county

I mean he’s a middle aged highly educated lawyer cosplaying as an in touch rural American because he listens to Q104.1 New Country while driving his pickup truck to a six figure job all while complaining he can’t get anyone to clean his houses soooo

How many pre-pandemic workers aren't reentering the workforce because they're dead? I bet it's < 800,000, but way more than 1.

Most of those were fat and lazy and driving up the corporation's healthcare premiums.

i am still waiting to hear how my ~$300 a week stipend is enough money to live off of beyond child tax credits which don't put food on the table.

the idea that's somehow a fulfilling amount of money is pretty insulting, tbh.

Agree; same thing applies if you substitute "black" and "inner city" for "white" and "rural" in your sentence. End of the day, we're all just people with many shared plus many individual experiences.

Also, amazing how nonplussed you all are making the argument that a few hundred dollars a month from the government for a year has completely fucking wrecked the working class labor force, forever! Think about how ridiculous that is, and how cruel you are to demand that all those burger flippers come back and fix your treats for you. Jesus. All around it’s a ridiculous argument, but the implications from your resentment are gross.

Last edited:
The amount of money that many of you would spend on a ski vacation or extending your back deck has apparently(hypothetically) freed people from terrible low paying dogshit jobs that they apparently hate, and you are? mad at the government about it?

Agree; same thing applies if you substitute "black" and "inner city" for "white" and "rural" in your sentence. End of the day, we're all just people with many shared plus many individual experiences.

Except "inner city" is basically code for predominantly Black neighborhoods. Maybe "urban" would be a better fit for your argument.

i am still waiting to hear how my ~$300 a week stipend is enough money to live off of beyond child tax credits which don't put food on the table.

You get food stamps too.

Whoa transferring to Pitt brb

dude when I heard Columbia grads made 35k a year (!) it was a vibe

but it's also 35k in NYC so i guess not as big money as I thought

much more than the $400 i make a month.

the biggest benefit to clemson is they took my tuition down from $11k/semester to $1100 semester because of my GA

Back