• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

I can confirm that it is being tested at a lot of US hospitals.

The problem is that all that data being written about comes from studies where they excluded 1) people with severe symptoms of COVID and 2) people with any co-morbidities that might be exacerbated by HCQ.

Bad news, there are a WHOLE lot of people in that second group.

Worse news is that there are a whole lot of people in the first group.

This morning I left the house for the first time in a week to go to the post office to mail some shit for my obviously essential job. While expecting to see a ghosttown, it was pretty much business as usual everywhere I went. Keeping the nonpolitical theme of this thread, we are fucked not because Trump is a goddamn moron, not because Cooper issued a limpdick order that deems almost everything as essential, but because the vast majority of people are idiots. The Lowes parking lot looks like they are giving the store away.

This morning I left the house for the first time in a week to go to the post office to mail some shit for my obviously essential job. While expecting to see a ghosttown, it was pretty much business as usual everywhere I went. Keeping the nonpolitical theme of this thread, we are fucked not because Trump is a goddamn moron, not because Cooper issued a limpdick order that deems almost everything as essential, but because the vast majority of people are idiots. The Lowes parking lot looks like they are giving the store away.

Seems like NC is faring pretty well.

I’m in Texas and my county has a shelter in place out, but the car wash outside of my neighborhood has been deemed essential and is operating at normal hours. A daggum car wash.

I am in Nashville, it seems like most businesses are still open.

There needs to be a nationwide shelter in place order issued so we can slow this thing down and then move on with life. People aren’t listening, and even the current orders towns are putting out here have a million essential businesses listed. And of course, our brilliant governor had the audacity to even challenge city stay at home orders.

The fact that we've allowed imbeciles like the Georgia governor to actually make decisions at the state level is what's making this worse than it should be.

Not to mention the fucktard that is running the country.

Fox and Friends tells me this is no big deal. There some drugs that makes it go away. And it only affects the olds.

Just to emphasize how important not overloading hospitals is (and why social distancing is so important) ... a personal friend of mine, early 40s, had an emergency, life threatening pulmonary issue that required hospitalization the past few weeks.

Thankfully, so far here in Vienna, the hospitals have been able to keep up and are very well segmented - so he was taken to a hospital which explicitly has no COVID-19 patients and is effectively under reverse quarantine. No family or friends allowed to visit (not even to drop something off, no outside objects allowed in) - nothing. He was released recently and is back home, largely because they don't want to risk anyone being in the hospital any longer than they absolutely have to (pulmonary problems + COVID is a horribly nono).

He has a wife and 2 kids, and I shudder to think what would have been the outcome if he had been in Milan or NYC or Madrid instead of here.

Moral of the story: STAY THE FUCK IN YOUR GODDAMN HOUSE

The Richmond, Va nursing/rehab center that COVID-19 has ravaged has some interesting data from testing. Of 92 residents who tested positive, 53 were asymptomatic and 39 had symptoms ranging from mild to severe. Another 35 residents were negative. This facility has also had 16 (now 17) deaths from the virus. It sounds like the 16 deaths aren't included in the 92 positive positive tests, so adding them means the split between asymptomatic and symptomatic is close to 50/50 - amazing to me given the nature of this facility. Still, 16 deaths out of guessing 108 positives (15%) in a confined geriatric setting. 26 staff members have also tested positive. There are a total of 190 beds at Canterbury. A building of that size would probably have around 150 + employees.

Note - I'm not familiar with Canterbury, but I know it has a 50+ bed sub-acute rehab wing. The residents of that area would not necessarily be geriatrics.

Fuck - the administrator of that building until several months ago used to work for me. He's a good guy and a great administrator. I'm glad he's out of there as he has his own health issues.

Last edited:
Perceptions of the skeptics may start to change as the spread starts affecting people they know. I just found out a friend of mine has it (in Worcester, MA). He's hospitalized but not intubated and is doing fine, he's at the higher end of fit/healthy people I know. Not that I was a skeptic that needed convincing, but it's certainly less abstract when you can put a familiar face to it rather than a graph.

It amazes me how many ignorant people there are in the US. I follow a childhood friend on social media who is very invested in the anti-vaxx movement. On one hand I can understand her desire for body autonomy but that is a different discussion. You should see the number of people who are buying into this theory that viruses in general are a hoax, cannot actually infect you bc they are not alive, and this sickness is really a function of your cells expelling toxins from poor diet etc. How has our education system failed these people so bad? Do we not teach basic biology anymore?

One of our own (WFU alum) died last night. Chris Firlit was a doctor in Detroit and went to Wake for undergrad. Married with 3 kids. Do not believe the hype that young and healthy are safe. Stay home and be forceful with language to people you know who are making this harder for all of us.

One of our own (WFU alum) died last night. Chris Firlit was a doctor in Detroit and went to Wake for undergrad. Married with 3 kids. Do not believe the hype that young and healthy are safe. Stay home and be forceful with language to people you know who are making this harder for all of us.

That’s awful.

Back