• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

I'm sure Bezos will be a popular presidential candidate for some on here in 2024.

One of our own (WFU alum) died last night. Chris Firlit was a doctor in Detroit and went to Wake for undergrad. Married with 3 kids. Do not believe the hype that young and healthy are safe. Stay home and be forceful with language to people you know who are making this harder for all of us.

Ugh. Heartbreaking. I don’t know him personally but I definitely recognize his face from undergrad.

dumb question: I keep seeing in the news that the expected "surge" of cases in Meck Co is anticipated late this month. People have been sheltering at home for 3 weeks now; what would cause the surge 6 weeks after people started staying at home and intentionally socially distancing when out in public? Thanks.

dumb question: I keep seeing in the news that the expected "surge" of cases in Meck Co is anticipated late this month. People have been sheltering at home for 3 weeks now; what would cause the surge 6 weeks after people started staying at home and intentionally socially distancing when out in public? Thanks.

Plenty of people aren't really doing that, tons of businesses deemed essential, healthcare workers getting it/passing it along, extremely contagious virus, etc, etc, etc.

Yeah. The result of a flattened curve is a later but lowered peak.

Plenty of people aren't really doing that, tons of businesses deemed essential, healthcare workers getting it/passing it along, extremely contagious virus, etc, etc, etc.

Correct, the order is pretty impotent, lots of people are still at work and the Lowes parking lot is packed every day. I watch the news and they keep railing on the governors who aren't issuing stay at home orders, but I'm pretty sure that North Dakota with 11 people per square mile without an order probably comes out better than NC at 213 people per square mile operating under the stay-at-home-but-everyone-and-everything-is-essential order.

Not a dumb question.

people are gonna be so mad when social distancing works and people don't die like they were told was gonna happen

you know, the same way conservatives want to cancel the EPA

The EPA is like the DMV or the IRS; you don't have to really care about it until you need it to do something or it's doing something to you. Then it's a fucking nightmare. The EPA wasn't a problem until the huge expansion of the clean water act.

The video of Romare Bearden yesterday is a good example of why.

For those of you guys not having to go into Uptown Charlotte for the past few weeks, it's been pretty crazy to see the amount of road work/construction that has been going on. Repaves, sewer fixes, relining, etc. I wonder if the city always had a strategic action plan to fix all the roads and sewers or whatever should be there a time when the city is closed off. So many roads closed and under construction, although I can't say they have been strictly abiding by social distancing guidelines.

There is still a fair amount of road work being done around here too, maybe even more than usual. But without traffic it seems like they may be able to make quicker progress on some of it. What was kind of eerie was driving to my office yesterday morning to pick some stuff up and not seeing another car (it was like 9:00 am) on the way into the office and no cars parked on the street outside my office (the entire street). I passed only one car on my way home. Granted, it's only 16 blocks, but still.

Back