• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

AMC took over our local theater about 3-4 years ago and let go completely down hill. It used to be a gathering point for a growing community and AMC let it turn into an eye sore.

Our city councilman pestered AMC for about a year to encourage them to invest and they recently announced renovation plans for several theaters.

Good riddance. I’m sure another company will buy them out and pump new life into it.

If the major studios had successfully debuted their early summer tent poles on streaming, that could have been a death blow.

Totally right, Ph.

That would've been brutal. But, it wasn't going to happen because all industries want to go back to business as usual as soon as this is over.
Which won't happen. Some forms of businesses aren't making out of this alive.

Avengers Endgame is trending on twitter because people are tweeting a crowd reaction to one of the BKF climax scenes. Got to think that was a reaction to the AMC news to show the value of theaters. I don’t think we want to give up huge collective moments like that for social media reactions to Tiger King or the end of the first episode of The Mandalorian.

Avengers Endgame is trending on twitter because people are tweeting a crowd reaction to one of the BKF climax scenes. Got to think that was a reaction to the AMC news to show the value of theaters. I don’t think we want to give up huge collective moments like that for social media reactions to Tiger King or the end of the first episode of The Mandalorian.

Movie theaters dying is probably inevitable, but it makes me sad. I love the ritual of movie theaters.

Have really been looking forward to Top Gun 2 on the big screen. Also have gone with a couple of my friends to see the last few Fast and Furious movies. Just too big/loud/outrageous to watch at home the first time.

I absolutely love going to movies and hope the industry survives, but the crowd reaction stuff is why I avoid going to tentpoles for at least 2-3 weeks.

Who knows, maybe this will revive drive-in movies since every car has bluetooth and other hi-fi tech.

People act like total shitheads at movie theaters these days too. Worse than ever. Talking to each other, talking on the phone, texting, etc.

Lots of older people like to go to the movies because it's a good way to get out of the house but the prices have gotten ridiculous for even senior tickets compared to streaming service.

AMC just took over a local theater and did a nice job with the renovations, but hasn't reopened the largest auditorium yet. I like going there because it's 1.5 miles from my house and they have bar service. The only problem is that the renovated theaters sacrificed a lot of seating due to the new big reclining chairs and with the reserved seating, you really have to plan ahead if you want to see a movie on the weekend.

The problem with movie theaters right now is they are a sunsetting industry and operators have to think twice about how much money they're going to put into a property that they're leasing. So, when they sign a new lease, a lot of money goes into the property but 7 or 8 years later, it starts to look like crap again.

unpopular opinion: going to the movies sucks and it has nothing to do with price

The AMC by me was going to make those same renovations to reduce the size of each theater.

I’m not hard to please. I don’t need fancy seats. I just need a clean seat and big screen. I never notice people talking or texting or whatever.

The last movie I saw in a theater was taking my two <5yo daughters to frozen 2 in December. You have to reserve seats so they don’t oversell the smaller theater into which they crammed heated, cooling reclining seats and full food service.

Naturally when we got there they had oversold so they mercifully dragged a regular chair into the back for my kids to cram into and I sat on a stool. Great experience!

Still that beats watching a movie from the “comfort” of my car with amenities such as a steering wheel in the way and inability to move my legs around.

People act like total shitheads at movie theaters these days too. Worse than ever. Talking to each other, talking on the phone, texting, etc.

Lots of older people like to go to the movies because it's a good way to get out of the house but the prices have gotten ridiculous for even senior tickets compared to streaming service.

AMC just took over a local theater and did a nice job with the renovations, but hasn't reopened the largest auditorium yet. I like going there because it's 1.5 miles from my house and they have bar service. The only problem is that the renovated theaters sacrificed a lot of seating due to the new big reclining chairs and with the reserved seating, you really have to plan ahead if you want to see a movie on the weekend.

The problem with movie theaters right now is they are a sunsetting industry and operators have to think twice about how much money they're going to put into a property that they're leasing. So, when they sign a new lease, a lot of money goes into the property but 7 or 8 years later, it starts to look like crap again.

yeah i love that place

Love movie popcorn and an icee.

There is a theater by the service station. I schedule the car for maintenance, to see a movie and then pick up up when done. (For movies without the family and early).

Hate movie theaters when it's so crowded that you don't have any space between you and people who clap during the show.

Several years ago the wife and I went to see a James Bond flick at the local $5 theater. We were LITERALLY (#ChrisTraeger) the youngest people in a full theater. During the course of the movie, LITERALLY every senior citizen got up to use the bathroom. Constant traffic up and down the aisles and across seats. Very distracting.

tenor.gif

For the first year or two when movies re-open, I bet theater owners are going to be upset that they re-formatted to all lounge chairs that cut attendance by 50-70%. They will need the additional revenue.

For the first couple of months, they would sell out Uncle Kenny's colonoscopy video. People will want to get out and eat some popcorn.

I don't know what it is where you guys live, but here you can get a draft or bottle beer for about the same price as a large soda or icee. Frozen margaritas and daiquiris are about $1-2 more.

Back