• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

Heading to Quito and the Galapagos for 10 days in a month. South America’s still looking good, right?

Heading to Quito and the Galapagos for 10 days in a month. South America’s still looking good, right?

Ecuador has 14 confirmed cases and Brazil is on the map as well but South America generally has been much less impacted. I’m kind of in the same boat. Heading to Cartagena then a week in Peru to hike the Inca Trail in early April. Planning on going as of now and taking precautions where possible when traveling.

Probably more likely that they want your American ass to stay home.

Ecuador has 14 confirmed cases and Brazil is on the map as well but South America generally has been much less impacted. I’m kind of in the same boat. Heading to Cartagena then a week in Peru to hike the Inca Trail in early April. Planning on going as of now and taking precautions where possible when traveling.

Southern Hemisphere flu season starts in April.

alaska rules. plus it's so far away that the virus can't get there

i went on a river cruise in Europe last fall and got the early version of coronavirus. i almost never get sick and i was having full on night sweats and vomiting. anyway that's the only cruise i have ever been on and my conclusion is that a cruise ship:adult infectious disease::daycare:kids disease.

I have a neighbor who's daughter is graduating from hs this spring they have a father-daughter trip scheduled this summer to go on a rock climbing trip. To Italy. Oops.

State department has issued an advisory that US citizens not cruise.

Passengers on Cruise Ships

U.S. citizens, particularly travelers with underlying health conditions, should not travel by cruise ship. CDC notes increased risk of infection of COVID-19 in a cruise ship environment. In order to curb the spread of COVID-19, many countries have implemented strict screening procedures that have denied port entry rights to ships and prevented passengers from disembarking. In some cases, local authorities have permitted disembarkation but subjected passengers to local quarantine procedures. While the U.S. government has evacuated some cruise ship passengers in recent weeks, repatriation flights should not be relied upon as an option for U.S. citizens under the potential risk of quarantine by local authorities.

This is a fluid situation. CDC notes that older adults and travelers with underlying health issues should avoid situations that put them at increased risk for more severe disease. This entails avoiding crowded places, avoiding non-essential travel such as long plane trips, and especially avoiding embarking on cruise ships. Passengers with plans to travel by cruise ship should contact their cruise line companies directly for further information and continue to monitor the Travel.state.gov website and see the latest information from the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/index.html.

Countdown until Trump allocates some of the $8 billion emergency bill to help bail out the cruise line industry.

Cruise ships being the main carrier of this disease into the U.S. is not surprising at all. They're all cesspools.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsa...says-coronavirus-containment-remains-possible

WHO Says Coronavirus Containment Still Possible

"They actually changed the course of a respiratory-borne outbreak without a vaccine, which was extraordinary," says Aylward. The number of daily new cases in China went from around 2,000 just a few weeks ago to less than 100 in recent days.
But Aylward says other countries may be taking the wrong lesson from China by attributing its success to the government's unprecedented restrictions on daily life in several cities, most famously Wuhan, the city of 11 million people where the outbreak began.
"China has 31 provinces, thousands of cities," notes Aylward. "And it was only a few cities where they took those draconian measures. In the vast majority of them, they ... really went back to fundamentals of public health."
These included ensuring that there was enough testing capacity to quickly identify cases, isolating infected patients, tracing anyone who had contact with them and, when necessary, placing those contacts in quarantine facilities so they wouldn't get infected by the sick person or spread the disease further. Also, in places where clusters of cases were emerging, authorities prohibited mass gatherings.
...it's crucial not to rely on restrictions of movement as the sole remedy. Public health authorities need to be prepared for a rebound in cases when movement restrictions are lifted and cases start to tick up again.

Back