• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Political Coronavirus Thread

It's pretty simple, if you don't think that COVID-19 is bad, then go pull a Rudy Gobert and just be reckless. Start touching all the mics, go to the ER, whenever you hear somebody cough run straight in the line of fire, etc.

Best case scenario, you realize that it's worse than the flu and maybe you get a tube shoved down your throat (and other places if they put you in a coma) but you survive.

Worst case... You'll get a tribute thread and also you have contributed to herd immunity.

Yet we made real world public health decisions on unreviewed, wildly speculative, and completely inaccurate projections on the front end, to which people are still holding fast.

This is (again, for the eleventieth time)... misstated at best. But it's mostly just a childish and silly statement. But hey, I like the arguing on the Internet with strangers, and I love how you're sticking to these horribly uneducated guns, so I'll help you and the rest of the Fox/CNN news watching nation understand:

Pandemics don't work on an academic timeline. So experts in the field did the best they could with what data they had. We knew then that those models were a best guess. So, when that's the case, any intelligent, responsible person working in the public health arena is going to swing to err on the side of caution. In some areas this was done too late and hospitals were overrun. In some areas it was done just in time and hospitals worked to capacity. In some areas it was done way early and hospitals remained far below capacity. That's how pandemics of novel disease go. You gather up the data you have and make the best models you can and make the best calls you can.

I still don't get what you're trying to achieve in this line of armchair QB thinking/posting.

It's pretty simple, if you don't think that COVID-19 is bad, then go pull a Rudy Gobert and just be reckless. Start touching all the mics, go to the ER, whenever you hear somebody cough run straight in the line of fire, etc.

Best case scenario, you realize that it's worse than the flu and maybe you get a tube shoved down your throat (and other places if they put you in a coma) but you survive.

Worst case... You'll get a tribute thread and also you have contributed to herd immunity.

This. Go out there. Get corona, 2&2. Quit complaining about it on the internet.

[video=youtube;vM3J9jDoaTA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=150&v=vM3J9jDoaTA[/video]

Again, there is a reasonable middle ground between recognizing it is serious and should be taken as such, but also not the end of life as we know it. It is like people on here in some sick sense want the pandemic to be as horrific as possible so they can wave a carnage flag around around at the rubes as some sort of societal "gotcha". It is okay to admit that it is bad and sucks and will kill a lot of people in terms of sheer numbers, but that it also won't directly affect the vast majority of the population. I don't think that admission causes one to lose his/her liberal elite street cred.

Again, there is a reasonable middle ground between recognizing it is serious and should be taken as such, but also not the end of life as we know it. It is like people on here in some sick sense want the pandemic to be as horrific as possible so they can wave a carnage flag around around at the rubes as some sort of societal "gotcha". It is okay to admit that it is bad and sucks and will kill a lot of people in terms of sheer numbers, but that it also won't directly affect the vast majority of the population. I don't think that admission causes one to lose his/her liberal elite street cred.

Until you go out and get Corona to prove science wrong, you're just shouting into the void. Lick a public toilet seat, you coward.

I mean you also need to display a disregard for those that you personally dont know to sit back and then say, well its a small chance I get sick so no big deal. A virus can not move through out a population without carriers. How many iterations do you need to be removed from someone where you are comfortable with their death as a result of your actions? Most people would say a direct 1 to 1, you know you are sick, you go visit someone in isolation, you cough on them, they get sick an die that they would avoid at all costs. What about out to get your haircut, you spread your disease to the barber, they spread it to someone and then they die, is that acceptable? Down a long chain of events how far down is considered acceptable? The "overreaction" is because death is final, it is the reason why in clinical trials where 20% of patients with a terminal disease report an extension of life of 2-3 years a drug can be found to be successful. If the outcome is chance of death, its the most avoidable outcome there possibly is.

I’m probably more conservative than you.

I want to conserve as many lives as possible, but if you think you’ll be fine, go ahead. Just go get it and report back. Don’t you have family that works in dentistry? I do too. That’s the most likely place to get this, do you want them to return to business as usual right now?

You have to give Leyritz credit. Most trolls have a shelf life of about 6 months, maybe a year, before everyone starts ignoring or simply heaping abuse on them. He has been running this shtick for years, yet people still argue with him on multiple boards and a variety of topics as if he'll respond to facts and logic. Some of the rookies on this board could really learn from him. A tip of the cap to you, sir.

You have to give Leyritz credit. Most trolls have a shelf life of about 6 months, maybe a year, before everyone starts ignoring or simply heaping abuse on them. He has been running this shtick for years, yet people still argue with him on multiple boards and a variety of topics as if he'll respond to facts and logic. Some of the rookies on this board could really learn from him. A tip of the cap to you, sir.

he's a master

Do you think he's actually a troll? I think he's just a dumbass who is committed to being a dumbass, man.

Yeah I think that 2&2 represents the group of educated upper middle class white people that think because they actually know how to read they can formulate opinions that should be given the same weight as experts within a field. Go into a situation with a preformed opinion, often whatever provides the most convenience and personal satisfaction, and then construct a narrative that fits that opinion. This is then reaffirmed and boosted by other educated dumb asses and you end up with the horseshoe of rube behavior. A group of people that are too dumb to know any better so form crazy conspiracies and are easily manipulated allied with a group of people who are over educated so think they can read wikipidea and find "research" to support their opinion of convenience. Its the anti-vaccine coalition applied to all topics.

I just want to see if he'll actually go out and get coronavirus to own people on a chat board

94152993_10158053718496605_2169288587076435968_n.jpg

Back